What’s your percentage of days with hard boots / soft boots?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

What’s your percentage of days with hard boots?

I always use hard boots.
72%
More than 80% of days.
13%
60% to 80% of days.
7%
40% to 60% of days.
5%
20% to 40% of days.
1%
Less than 20% of days.
1%
I always use soft boots.
No votes

Total votes: 83

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

What’s your percentage of days with hard boots / soft boots?

Post by fivat » Friday 18 April 2008, 14:26

Most of us there are alpine snowboarders, but not all the time. Some of us also use soft boots regularly for freeriding or freestyling, especially when there is fresh snow. Other uses hard boots all the time, even with freeride boards.

I’m curious to know how many days people use their hard boots compared to their soft boots. Of course some seasons have more snowfalls, what favors the use of soft boots. In some areas of the world, the snow is often icy what favors hard boots. So take this poll as it is: just to get a rough idea. 8)

Of course, if you are a pure hard boots snowboarder, you should vote! :D

Patrice Fivat

PS: My answer is 60% to 80% of days.

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Friday 18 April 2008, 15:49

Ahhh, already checking the possibilities for the highest rated alternatives 8)

No chance to sell SB equipment to me, but anyways I love fresh powder. So maybe adapt little bit to hardboot-usability :P

skywalker
free extreme carving

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Friday 18 April 2008, 16:16

skywalker, softboots is also realtive thing, some "softboots" are stiffer tham some "hardboots" :wink:
For me number is bout 80%, i'm only on softies when there is surface for SwellPanic

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Wednesday 23 April 2008, 13:50

Wow! For now, with 52 votes, more than 70% of people there are pure alpine snowboarders! ;-)

I would have thought that there were more people using soft boots from time to time... 8O

When I hear that "it's too expensive to own both gears", I don't agree. Indeed the riding time is shared between both gears. So each gear lasts longer. Over several years, the average cost (to replace the boards and boots) is almost the same...
Actually there are some people too lazy to travel with both gears! ;-) But it’s worth it!

Patrice Fivat

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Wednesday 23 April 2008, 14:30

Patrice, some people are not lazy actually - you can easily ride off-piste in hardboots - so, you just need different board.
Hardboots are comfortable, i can wear it for 12 hours without any problem, maybe more but had no such experiense yet.

I have deluxe indy and this fits to my feet perfectly :-)

P.S. did you expect more% of people use softboots at carving forum?
i`m learning

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Wednesday 23 April 2008, 15:22

starikashka wrote:some people are not lazy actually
It was a joke...
However I have read/heard people giving the argument about laziness. ;-)

By the way, I have been freeriding a lot in the nineties with hard boots. The first Raichle boots (the white and green ones) were so great for this!
starikashka wrote:P.S. did you expect more% of people use softboots at carving forum?
Yes because one can carve with soft boots too! ;-)

Patrice Fivat

eaglefly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by eaglefly » Wednesday 23 April 2008, 16:26

fivat wrote: However I have read/heard people giving the argument about laziness. ;-)
Yes, me for example.
And if I want both gears then I have to buy a big car, buy a place in the mountain or find a boyfriend that would carry my stuff :D because when I take the train or a plane, it is not possible to carry everything. Besides that, for the time I spend on slopes, I am quite happy with my hardboots so far.. and anyway, too lazy to change even when I can.
* * * "Carve diem, that's it " * * *

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Wednesday 23 April 2008, 19:20

fivat wrote: Yes because one can carve with soft boots too! ;-)
Carving in hardboots is easier. I can bend legs. This is harder to do on softboots :-) do not see reason for softboot carving except it`s easier to walk to a parkig slot and drive car :-)
i`m learning

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Thursday 24 April 2008, 9:39

Eaglefly has a point. If you go by car, there is no problem filling it with all kind of equipment, just in case. I do the same. However, I bring different skies and ski boots together with two Swoards with different flexes and hard boots. When going by plane it is different. Then weight and number of luggages matter.
harald

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Thursday 24 April 2008, 11:15

harald wrote:When going by plane it is different. Then weight and number of luggages matter.
Yes. That's why USA and Canada are cool! 8) The maximum weight is higher for the flights to North America than the one allowed in Europe... The last time I went to Canada I took 2 boards and 2 pairs of boots! To USA, I took 4 boards. :D

Patrice Fivat

Whitey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Whitey » Thursday 24 April 2008, 11:25

Yes yes, right. But if you want/need to use only one alpine (which is Swoard, of course), you can easily take a freeride board and soft boots inside Europe as well. I have been flying many times with two set-ups.

Especially in Zinal, it is easy and trouble-free to change the gear during the day. You can take both gear up to the Sorebois and lock another one on the stand up there, and change them when you feel like it.

b0ardski
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by b0ardski » Monday 6 October 2008, 1:01

Whitey wrote:Yes yes, right. But if you want/need to use only one alpine (which is Swoard, of course), you can easily take a freeride board and soft boots inside Europe as well. I have been flying many times with two set-ups.

Especially in Zinal, it is easy and trouble-free to change the gear during the day. You can take both gear up to the Sorebois and lock another one on the stand up there, and change them when you feel like it.
I always take at least 2 boards and/or skis to the mountain. It is good to have a carve board & a twintip free ride board to stepin to at my whim or weather change.
I ride all my boards & sometimes ski in older Blax or Raichles. A single binding system is much more practical, and I am old, lazy & refuse to give up stepin convenience. :D

ps laces suck & straps are a pain in the frozen a$$
snow happens

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Monday 6 October 2008, 12:28

...So when is SWOARD Team planning to announce the new product? 8) :roll:

skywalker
free extreme carving

hera
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hera » Monday 6 October 2008, 22:17

I agree with Fivat. You can't rip at high speed and float on powder with the same gear. It's OK to be a true hardbooter [I was 100% for 10 years] but it's a pitty to miss those butterslipping sensations on fresh snow. I think that 20% is acceptable :lol: on soft gear. Cross my finger for big pow this year...
OK, it works for me also because I go often with my car...

Hera
F2 RS WC

b0ardski
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by b0ardski » Tuesday 7 October 2008, 6:04

I ride the softest flexing plastic boots in fresh snow, and stiff flexing plastic boots on hard/icy snow. No need for 2 different systems.
You don't need straps & laces to butter turns, just soft flexing boots & board.
I've ridden plates 100% since '91 in all conditions from steep chutes to powder trees & bumps, icy parks, to rained on mush. Laces & straps are not durable & very inconvenient.
snow happens