Help the Noobie....please.

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

surfinsmiley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Help the Noobie....please.

Post by surfinsmiley » Wednesday 23 November 2005, 7:32

Hi Guys and girls,

I have previously be posting this same question in the thread about longskateboarding. Abig thank you to all who have already given me some really good advice.

I want to learn to carve on a snowboard.
I was considering going for Catek Freerides and soft boots but have been swayed by the collective wisdom from you guys.

I am now thinking I`ll go straight for a hard boot.

As for bindings I`m keen to get the Catek OS2`s because I see a Pair of Freeride`s in my future and a Rad Air Tanker for powder/carving. That would make the binding interchagable, very fast and easy, one screw.

BOOTS? Where should I start?
I`m 80kgs, 188cm tall. I`m a size 29 mondo boot.
My board is a Rad Air reto lamm 164, 10.5m sidecut and 255mm waist.

I have very little experience on snow carving but I`m a very good surfer(30 years experience) and have been into the downhill carving skateboard scene for about five years.
My point is, I understand body movement and I have been carving in one way or another for many years.

So.....I`m thinking a pair of Leemans boots?

Thanks in advance for your help, I`ll reiterate that I know nothing and am only making presumtions at his point.
"Insert something witty here"

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

well..

Post by nils » Wednesday 23 November 2005, 8:58

Binding choice> we hear only good things on Catek's OS2 and they look as great as the TD2 so I assume your buying something for your grandchildren also by making that choice! good one. Just remember we noticed that riding without canting or lift makes it easier for carving with a good rotation style, and when you are using cant and lift, it is more comfy, but you tend naturally to to counter-rotations and often backsides are trickier with them settings. (rotation style is very similar to hot dog surfing (sounds old school hehe), which even amplifies the rotation)

Boots: basically the boot that makes you feel comfy, while firmly holding the leg and foot, and with the better flex/ spring system you can find/modify. There are basically 2-3 boots manufacturer left( rumors on a new deeluxe model btw) Deeluxe, Head and UPZ. As you can read on the forum, many people are modifying the spring system so it basically works like the one on the Northwave .900 / .950 we think is the best there was ( not produced anymore). The head are a bit better because the flex axis is better designed, the deeluxe ( ex raichle ) is not as good but modified it gets better... I haven't heard about the UPZ but it could also be modified I assume.
So Leemans boots should be ok, but if you can try to modify the spring system, either yourself, or by buying a kit from bomber or even arnaud on this forum ( arnaud system seems lighter and more simple)

Hope this helps

Nils

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Wednesday 23 November 2005, 19:16

Unfortunately, my system don't suit on Le Mans boots.
If possible look at Suzuka model, which is much better than Le Mans. Shell design is different and articulation works much better.

Arnaud
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Wednesday 23 November 2005, 19:43

I really don't think mounting a RAB on a newbie's boots is top priority. :P

Catek bidings and Deeluxe Lemans boots seems good. Concerning boots, maybe i'd better buy some cheap Suzuka equivalent like Raichle 324 or Head Stratos pro. Thoose can be found on ebay.

But if you don't found anything else, Lemans seems ok for a start.

Then... what about the board ?
Swoard 168M / Undertaker 185 + F2 Race Ti + tuned Raichle 324
Resorts : St Lary / Peyragudes / La Thuile
Carver toute l'année : carveboard.fr

surfinsmiley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: well..

Post by surfinsmiley » Thursday 24 November 2005, 7:06

nils wrote:..... assume your buying something for your grandchildren also by making that choice! good one..................................................... (rotation style is very similar to hot dog surfing (sounds old school hehe), which even amplifies the rotation)
I like the idea of buying bindings for the grandchildren, can`t say there is many things built these days that you can pass onto your grandchildren!

As for the rotational style simulating hotdog surfing, Perfect, That is exactly what I`m into in the smaller surf. I ride boards that are very old skool in shape.

Boots......I`m looking around now for stockists in Tokyo, I`ll try both the head and Suzuka`s and just go with which ever feels the best on my foot.

Thanks Nils.
raphael wrote:I really don't think mounting a RAB on a newbie's boots is top priority. :P

Then... what about the board ?
I think that this season I`ll be fine with standard equipment, I`ll look at doing an upgrade at some piont in the future.

8O What about the board?...............do you think it would be no good?
I`m under the impression that it would be fine for at least the first season.
Remember I have feet the same size as a Yeti!

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

board

Post by nils » Thursday 24 November 2005, 9:28

sorry no clue what that board is like on snow... but rad air doesn't really make carving boards... If you can find a carving deck, it will really help!
Even second hand in good shape ( Burton, F2, Hot etc whatever u can find) try to find the widest carving board you can. In case you can't find any, try to find a boardercross board. They also have carving aptitudes.

N.

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Thursday 24 November 2005, 12:45

Ok, i did some web browsing around japanese websites.

It seems that you should find theese boards:
- F2 Speedcross 161W (or 165w if you weight more than 75kg) eventually Speedster SL 163 or 166 (again dependeing on your weigth )
- Nidecker proto 167 (the shorter one would be too short and narrow)
- eventually Ogaska PW 160

The rest is bougth only from the US or Europe, i think.

I can't believe how many alpine boards they have :o
But most of them are sooooooo narow 8O 8O 8O

Maybe Ogasaka LV can be a nice starting board for carving too, except that it's a bit narrow.

surfinsmiley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by surfinsmiley » Friday 25 November 2005, 9:26

Thanks again guys.

I too have been looking on the Yahoo japan auction site. If I could find one wide enough I`d buy it, but this is the land of tiny-small feet!

Alpine seems to be more popular here than it is is most other places, must be all that perfect snow huh?

I have been looking around on the net about my board and I have seen a few people comment that it makes a good BX board, I think I`ll be OK on it, at least for my first season.

My surfboards are about 3" wider than normal surfboards so I`m also no stranger to setting the rail properly before turning.

If your interested in some different style in surfboards, check these lil rippers.

http://www.mccoysurfboards.com/

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Friday 25 November 2005, 11:42

On Yahoo auctions japan, i found:
- many F2 Roadster 162 and 166 (cheap wide freecarve boards, good option for you)(sorry i didn't mention them, because this is the older name of the Speedcross, F2 tends to change its name every year)
- a burton speed 168w (very good wide race/carve board, you can EC with it (someone known as "speed168" on this forum proved it right in front of me))
- one F2 speedster SL 166 (a bit narrow but still an option, very manoeuvrable board)
- an old Nidecker Rave 160 (don't now what its worth, but Nidecker usually does good alpine boards and this one is wide)

See ? you can find good boards on yahoo :wink:

F2 seems to be well placed in the japanese alpine market. 8)

surfinsmiley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by surfinsmiley » Friday 30 December 2005, 10:35

UPDATE- So I`ve had six days on the snow so far this season and it has been nothing but knee to chest deep powder everyday. So much for learning to EC huh.

I`ve had a couple of runs on the hardboots just to try it out though and I`m impressed with the leverage difference after using softies.

The Rad Air LSD RAILS with harboots! I don`t think it`ll be holding me back for at least the next couple of years. It has enough stiffness in the tail to ollie small cars, more than enough to get the transions though the air with ease.

My skills have a long way to go to catch up to the board!

When(if) that happens I`ll be looking for a Swoard I think. 8)