Raichle AF 700 TS are to stiff

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

saso
Rank 2
Rank 2

Raichle AF 700 TS are to stiff

Post by saso » Friday 6 December 2002, 9:50

Hi!

I recently bought an AF 700 TS. They fill fantastic but they are s bit to stiff for me even with a softer spring. And I only tried them on a room temperature. I honestly don't know what the feeling will be when I take them to snow and low temperatures for the first time. They are probably be even more stiffer I am not sure I like it. Since I am more of a carver and not a racer and don't have very strong legs I would like to look for a way to soften them up a bit.
Is there any way to do it?
I was told that I can't put an AF 600 tongue on my boots because they have different type of mountings (I don't know if that's the wright word). Basically they are not the same.
Is there any other way?

Sašo :?

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Friday 6 December 2002, 14:00

Hi Saso

It seems that you have the same problem than I have. I bought the suzuka-boot from Raichle. This boot does not have a spring system but a gliding system without any resistance. Because this is a little bit to soft, I replaced the gliding system with the spring system from the Indie-boot (same system as AF700). My experience was the same as yours. It is to hard, even with the softer spring.

:arrow: What I'm doing now is looking for a manufacturer that can deliver a very soft spring with the same dimensions than the original springs. Up to know, I don't know who can deliver this.

Regards
:) Olaf :)

saso
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by saso » Sunday 8 December 2002, 22:50

Hi Olaf

I had the same idea about replacing the springs. I just had them made few days ago and now I am waiting to get them. I found a guy who makes all sorts of springs and he said he could make me new springs with the same dimensions but softer.
I just have to wait and see. I will let you know how it works. If it doesn't I will try to contact a Raichle to find out if anything else could be done with this problem.
I've also tried an AF 600 first and found them to be to soft. It's really strange for Raichle to make two so similar boots in design and style and yet so very different in stiffenes because AF 600 are really to soft and AF 700 are definitely to hard. They should add the third, softer spring and posibility to change the tongue with the one from AF 600. It would really give us total freedom to adjust their stiffeness and response. Just emagine what you could do if you had three different springs and two different tongues. 6 possibilities altogether. That would really make this boot the best on the market.

Saso

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Monday 9 December 2002, 18:35

Hi Saso

Today, a friend told me, that he knows a manufacturer that produces springs. He will try to get a softer spring for me. I will also let you know when I tested it.
saso wrote: ... and posibility to change the tongue ...
I don't think that it is necessary to change the tonge. Why? --> You only have to change the tonge if your boot is still too stiff when riding without spring system. I tested my boot without spring system (= gliding mechanism; it was a little too soft) and with spring system (then it was to hard). :arrow: From this it follows that the right stiffness is somewhere between an therefore could be reached with the right spring only. Changing the spring only should fix the problem.

Until I've the right spring, I will ride with the gliding mechanism. For me it's better to have settings that are a little too soft than much too hard.

regards

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Saturday 14 December 2002, 16:34

Hi Saso

Now I've found a manufacturer for springs . I ordered 3 different models that I've already at home (was a lot of work to find them out of the product catalog that contains hundred of models and even more technical data).

1. Model (soft) F=90N Article #: 82232
2. Model (middle) F=170N Article #: 82262
3. Model (hard) F=300N Article #: 82292
Of course, all of this 3 models are much softer than the two delivered by Raichle/Deluxe. F [Newton] is the force that is needed to total compress it.

I didn't try it on slope yet, but at home. My temporary result: The soft model (1) seems to be too soft. The Spring mechanism isn't moving properly with this spring. The other two are working well with the mechanism. :arrow: The middle or the hard model will make the run. First, I'll try the middle one. But this will not be before the next weekend. I'll let you know my opinion after the real test in snow.

Because I also like to stand relaxed sometimes, I additional did the same modification on the spring System that is described by rob and Nils:
viewtopic.php?t=95&highlight=af700

Oh, almost forgotten. The manufacturer:
http://www.baumann-springs.com/
(I think he will ship international too)

regards

mhinkkan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mhinkkan » Saturday 14 December 2002, 17:08

Hi Olaf,

Nice that you have found a manufacturer. What is the price of those springs? I am quite satisfied with the softer springs by DeeLuxe but it would be interesting to test also more softer ones. Especially for those cold riding days when the boots feel stiffer.

Marko

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Saturday 14 December 2002, 17:17

Hi Marco

Something about 7-10 Euro each without shipping(if you order 2) . Depends on the model. If you order more, it will be cheaper.

regs

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Thursday 26 December 2002, 18:10

Hi

I'm currently in my x-mas holidays and I've tested the springs in the last 2 days. Model (2) & (3) are both working well. I think it depends on your personal preferences.

I will use the model (3) in future. But a friend of mine will use the model (2). He has the Indy-Boot that has a tongue that is a bit harder than the one of my suzuka-boot. This is why I feel more comfortable with the (3) instead of (2).

So, .. my online time in this cafe is over....

Happy new year to all in this forum....

:) olaf :)

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Friday 3 January 2003, 21:26

Hi
So, .. my online time in this cafe is over...

I'm back at home now and have more time to describe in detail:

There is also an other spring that even may work better than model 3:

Model 3a: Article Nr. 82293

Model 3a is by 2cm longer than 3, but the force to fully compress it is the same than 3. You must know that model 3 is a bit shorter than the original springs delivered by deeluxe. A spring with the exact length of the deeluxe originals and the stiffness of model 3 resp. 3a can't be ordered at the manufacturer I told you.

The result with 3a compared to 3 is, that the movement will go over a longer distance until the spring is fully compressed. This is better for those who don't have a forward lean bias adjusted and therefore need a larger range to move than those who already have a forward lean bias.

There is also an other important point to mention: There are to different versions of spring systems from Deeluxe: Some of the cases where the spring is moving in are black (new), the others are silver(old). The important difference is not the color but the surface coating. The basic material of both is aluminium. But the newer version has a black surface coating.

With the black model the gliding properties are much better. You must know that I ordered the spring system for my suzuka boot as a replacement part and they delivered me the old silver version (from AF700). With this, it was possible to flex from the starting position until the spring was fully compressed. But it was difficult to go back to the starting position because of the bad gliding properties (the whole system was blocked). I used some sun-cream as lubricant and all worked well.
A friend of mine has the indy boot that has by default the black spring system. Everything worked well there.

I don't know if deeluxe made the second version because of the better gliding properties or because they wanted a black color only. Just be sure to get the new one if you use a softer spring. (The sun cream fix may not be the final solution :wink: )

With the original deeluxe springs there should not be a problem because they will be compressed a few mm only. (they are very stiff)

Good luck