Dupraz D1

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

mrjamie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Dupraz D1

Post by mrjamie » Monday 31 January 2005, 16:10

Hey! I'm considering purchasing a Dupraz D1 board ( http://dupraz-ch.com/index_en.php ) and I was curious what opinion you Extreme Carvers had about this board.

Also, what bindings would you recommend? I am thinking of buying Northwave concept boots, but I want plate bindings and I am not sure the concept boots are compatible with plate bindings.

So if you recommend a nice set of plate bindings, please let me know a nice set of boots for those bindings as well. I have size 13 US feet (31cm) so keep this in mind :)

Thanks!

Nommam
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nommam » Monday 31 January 2005, 16:17

mrjamie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mrjamie » Monday 31 January 2005, 16:29

Ach, I think the translation only provides about half the meaning...As far as I got from that thread, the D1 is a good board for carving, but not for extreme carving?

How about recommendations for boots/bindings?

mrjamie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mrjamie » Monday 31 January 2005, 16:55

Ok, so after checking out the videos I'm really interested in those swoard boards.

Only problem is, I think the runs in Japan are a bit too narrow to pull out extreme carves. That, and the mountains are really, really packed with people making extreme carving quite dangerous.

Because of this, I think I may be better served now by the D1, and then buy a separate board for extreme carving when I am snowboarding in a different country.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Love you all,
Jamie

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Solutions>

Post by nils » Monday 31 January 2005, 17:23

Different solutions for you:
- A smaller Swoard ( smaller sidecut radius)
- A different board ( virus, Madd 158, Pogo, donek, Prior...) with smaller radius..

But sincerely I'd stay away from the D1 if you intend to ride in plates... this board is for softbooters that want also to carve, but if you want a versatile board for hardboots that goes also in powder, the Donek Axis is the board you want.

Say hi to japanese carvers from us :)

Nils

mrjamie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mrjamie » Tuesday 1 February 2005, 0:12

Ok, last question.

Keeping the following in mind:
- I have size US 13 feet (31cm).
- I want to carve
- The mountains in Japan are narrower and more crowded than mountains in America/Canada/Europe
-In the end, I really don't care if I'm riding in hard boots or soft boots, I just want a nice ride :) I had heard the D1 works best with plate bindings but I understand now that is a lot of rubbish! :)

So, to make my decision a little bit easier, which would you recommend? The Dupraz D1 with Northwave Concept Boots and Drake Bindings, or a Donek Axis (since my feet are large for my size, I'd end up with the top-size Swoard, and I'm guessing that is not the best solution for narrow, crowded runs) with hard boots and bindings to accomodate those boots?

thanks,
jamie

mrjamie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mrjamie » Tuesday 1 February 2005, 15:58

Not to rush anybody, but I'm planning on going Snowboarding the weekend after next, and I need a snowboard to go with...so I would really appreciate if I could get a recommendation sooner rather than later :)

mrjamie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mrjamie » Wednesday 2 February 2005, 10:10

so, I went with the Dupraz D1 with Northwave Concept boots and Catek Pro bindings. whee, can't wait for them all to arrive:)

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

well..

Post by nils » Wednesday 2 February 2005, 11:01

Don't expect to lay down carves on this set up, but you will have fun anyway, especially in powder! The nose design will not allow you to put the board really on the edge for hard carving, but with softboots its ok!

N.
i would have chosen the axis with HB!

mrjamie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mrjamie » Wednesday 2 February 2005, 18:44

ok, so I had a last minute change of heart and ended up with a 167cm Donek Axis, Head Stratus Pro boots, and Catek Olympic Standard bindings.

This is all being shipped express so I will be taking a few days off from school next week, I think 8)

thanks a bunch to everyone, especially nils, for the advice!

the urge to carve won over in the end...

eaglefly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by eaglefly » Thursday 3 February 2005, 13:35

Hey Jamie, don't forget to let us know how you like your new board after riding it :wink: i'm very interested in your comments although 167 might be too big for me
have fun!
* * * "Carve diem, that's it " * * *

mrjamie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mrjamie » Thursday 3 February 2005, 13:44

Of course I will :-).

I have plans to head to Hokkaido (a Northern island of Japan with some of the best Japanese ski resorts and mountains) twice this month and I am looking forward to learning how to carve on snow, and then getting some serious carving in. :)