Your first laid turn. Please share!

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

sabestian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Your first laid turn. Please share!

Post by sabestian » Saturday 4 December 2010, 10:17

Hi, I've been wondering if I could get you to share your memories with the rest. Sitting at work during weekend with all that snow around and no mountain in sight is getting me all dreamy...

When did you decide it was the time for it? What was your riding level? The gear? When did it happen? Was it planned or accidental? Front or backside? Proper EC turn or 'oh-my-God-howcome-I-am-still-standing' one? 8O

Mine is still yet to come.
Him> Have you ever tried snowboarding?
Me> This is a snowboard.

Zanci
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Zanci » Saturday 4 December 2010, 12:41

ONE proper EC turn comes fast, but that isn't fun for me, it becomes good when you can really EC the whole black slope :)

QuattroAnte
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QuattroAnte » Saturday 4 December 2010, 17:22

The only thing i thought when i closed my first front laied turn was something like "eureka!!!!"
back is yet to come
Sempre e comunque pupillo di EMI

Swoard 168H
Factory Prime 7.3 200s "Radetzky"
Factory Prime 7.8 200s "Eisenhower"
Northwave .350 modded & head stratos + accs

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Sunday 5 December 2010, 18:51

Long ago in 1995 somewhere there in Santa Christina, being on a family vacation I've saw it for the first time... Two guys were making exact circles on their edges all the way down... I was looking from the above while coming up on the ski lift. This I saw and then I've become addicted.

Few years later, I was able to do similar turns. I'm still dealing with the imperfections in my style, but it feels great when You EC whole mountain for the first time :-) Finally, after adapting Arnaud's ACSS to my Deeluxes I can say that it is really possible :-) Feels great, right?
www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!

erik
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by erik » Sunday 5 December 2010, 20:48

abrax wrote: I've saw it for the first time... Two guys were making exact circles on their edges all the way down... I was looking from the above while coming up on the ski lift. This I saw and then I've become addicted.
I had the same "moment" around the same year but it was in Avoriaz.
Still wondering if it were Jacques and Patrice.... :huh: :think:

Back then I think there were not so many boarders that could do continiously laid turns.

My first (reasonable good) laid turn was a frontside at the 2d ECS on a Swoard. Felt very nice but I was even more excited when the first backside turn went well.
Swoard 2D 168H #13, f2 race titanium, raichle AF600 ACSS, Northwave .900

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Monday 6 December 2010, 16:49

Sorry guys :-) But exremecarving is not a laid down turns riding :-) it`s like a ballroom dance and have lot of basic details that can almost automatically put you on the slope if mastered properly :-)

Go for trainig :-) stop pushin da battons :-)
i`m learning

sabestian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sabestian » Monday 6 December 2010, 17:56

I know, I know, but I am not asking about extremecarving at all, or about linking the turns for that matter.

I am just curious about your first laid turn and if you pulled it through. That's all... Try not to overthink it, please. This topic is for light fun only.
Me> This is a snowboard.

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Monday 6 December 2010, 20:27

erik wrote:Still wondering if it were Jacques and Patrice.... :huh: :think:
:-) Sure they were!
erik wrote:Back then I think there were not so many boarders that could do continiously laid turns.
As far as I can remember top racers always had at least one photo with fully laid turn. Usually in perfect conditions, sunny day and especially to promote one board...

I've made my first fully laid turn on the frontside somewhere there in 2003 as far as I can remember. The backside was a bit more complicated and has taken 2 more years... But I think that it was the gear that was limiting me.

Anyway, yesterday I've tested my own ACSS adapter with my Deeluxes... I couldn't believe how much proper springs can help... Now everything what was possible only on perfectly plain groomy snow, can be achieved all the day long, even when there are some minor moguls!!!
www.carvingskills.com

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Monday 6 December 2010, 21:29

The real feeling is when you first manage to link 2 turns fully controlled. Doing a laid turn is relatively easy both sides. But once you learn how to link back to front and front to back - that is the real feeling!

My $.02

Zanci
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Zanci » Monday 6 December 2010, 21:37

István wrote:The real feeling is when you first manage to link 2 turns fully controlled. Doing a laid turn is relatively easy both sides. But once you learn how to link back to front and front to back - that is the real feeling!

My $.02
Couldn't agree more :wink:

sabestian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sabestian » Monday 6 December 2010, 22:24

OK, I give up. My next thread's title will be "Your first fully controlled linked laid turns. Please share!". :lol:

Can't you see that prior to linking laid turns and slashing the slopes with perfect trenches one has to start with at least one laid turn? I would like to hear stories about that, what did you think and feel then.

Without preaching that it is not what EC is all about, that it means nothing and it's worthless, please. Pretty please.
Me> This is a snowboard.

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Monday 6 December 2010, 23:16

First carving, later extreme-carving. The idea is pretty the same, the difference is how low you lay during the turn :-)

I did have very stiff hard shells (Burton Megaflex) and Oxygen ProtonSL, which was +10kg overweighted, no springs at all, weather was + 4 celsius degr, it was Madonna Di Campiglio's blue slope in the morning and I did 360 degr fully laid frontside stop...

The backside was on the black slope in PassoTonale, very high speed, linked carving style, some EC style turns... Many stops due to falling down over and over again... :-)

Everything changed with the new hardshells and the RAB system.

Now I can see, that no matter what, You have to have springs, and nicely working hardshells.
www.carvingskills.com

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Tuesday 7 December 2010, 15:46

Start practicing single laid turns in front of the mountain huts on a flat surface. It's a good exercise and you'll see if people appreciate what you did. Start with a frontside, than move to backsides. Don't hit the ski racks. Cheers

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 7 December 2010, 16:32

István wrote:Start practicing single laid turns in front of the mountain huts on a flat surface. It's a good exercise and you'll see if people appreciate what you did. Start with a frontside, than move to backsides. Don't hit the ski racks. Cheers
:-) dirty show off :-)))))

But advice about ski racks is useful :-) thanks Istvan :-)
i`m learning

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Tuesday 7 December 2010, 18:07

Showing off is fine, but showing off and being smashed against the ski rack or the stone wall looks kinda lame, so try to avoid that.... or if you do that, stand up immediately after the crash and shout at the surprised spectators:

THIS IS HOW A REAL MAN STOPS FOR A DRINK! :twisted: