hello from Israel! carving boards and powder..

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

leucistic9724
Rank 0
Rank 0

hello from Israel! carving boards and powder..

Post by leucistic9724 » Friday 22 October 2010, 0:17

hi guys!

I have been riding for 5 years now on my SIMS sedition board. I like it and made a good progress with it. from one year to another i'm feeling like getting more connected to freeriding and kinnda carving (as much as you can carv on my board :D ). I like high speed riding and am thinking of buying a new board that would maximize my speed and performance.

The problem (or not) is that I also like off-pists and powder and don't want to get stuck.

my question is if this is possible to use a carving board in deep anow without special issues? how hard is the crossing from all mountain board to a carving one such as swoard? i'm gonna be in Davos this year- is there anyplace i could take a look at these kind of boards??

thank you very much and Shalom from Israel!

Itay

QuattroAnte
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QuattroAnte » Friday 22 October 2010, 0:35

Hello! Maybe you can consider a board like f2 eliminator, if you most like carving, or a swallowtail board if you prefer powder.
From freeride to carving??? An abyss :D
Sempre e comunque pupillo di EMI

Swoard 168H
Factory Prime 7.3 200s "Radetzky"
Factory Prime 7.8 200s "Eisenhower"
Northwave .350 modded & head stratos + accs

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Friday 22 October 2010, 1:37

The Dual is the solution for all your demands. 8)
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

leucistic9724
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by leucistic9724 » Friday 22 October 2010, 15:13

thanks for answering. is it possible to ride on powder with racing/carving boards such as the SWOARD or f2 SILBERPFEIL or i'll be limited to the pist? how hard would it be?

thanks

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Friday 22 October 2010, 15:48

I know there are some people who ride in powder with their raceboards
(especially a friend of mine).
But even a 15 year old freeride board with hardboot bindings would do better. (mine is older)
I think it´s hard to get one in Israel, but maybe someone out here could sell you one for cheap and send it to Davos.

Choosing only one board, the Dual could be the solution.
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Friday 22 October 2010, 15:51

leucistic9724 wrote:is it possible to ride on powder with racing/carving boards such as the SWOARD or f2 SILBERPFEIL
Yes it's possible to ride in powder with alpine board, but it's not the best tool !
The Swoard (you mean Extremecarver) as a great advantage : the width helps a lot in powder, but be careful .... the nose is low. See here a Swoard Extremecarver in powder !
Regarding F2 Silberfeil ... :S it's very narrow for powder

As joemzl told you the Dual board is a perfect compromise
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

Kallo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kallo » Friday 22 October 2010, 16:34

Hi and welcome, first of all ...
here you can find another good example of powder with race boards (mainly f2 speedsters or similar) we made last easter. probably it is not the best tool, anyway if you keep speed up it is affordable ...
have fun!
The air carver

leucistic9724
Rank 0
Rank 0

thanks guys

Post by leucistic9724 » Friday 22 October 2010, 17:40

thanks for helping!

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: thanks guys

Post by fivat » Friday 22 October 2010, 18:21

:arrow: "Powder carving": video here

This is a video shot in powder (during a "white" day) and showing our Swoard racer Antoine Pochon (boardercross and giant slalom racer at European level).
He is using a Swoard Extremecarver Gen3 and Deeluxe Track 700.

As shown, his race style (the chest is facing the tip of the board all the time) also works on Swoard and in powder. ;-) He is very fast. Antoine was on top 3 at a freeride contest in 2008. :D All other participants had soft boots.

Note that Antoine did test the Swoard Dual last year and he loved it. He could switch to this board for freeriding in the future.

Patrice Fivat

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 23 October 2010, 9:01

My swallowtail allows to carve :-) Not really fast but enough for relax and get fun ;-)
i`m learning

luca85
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by luca85 » Saturday 23 October 2010, 14:09

The italian champion of cross country snowboarding, who always won in the last 3 years, in the races uses a freeride board with hard-boots bindings and cross-country skiing boots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA887ojET6M
He is also a national instructor (a guy who teaches to new trainers) so he knows how to ride perfectly also with softboots, if he chooses this hybrid he knows what he's doing. Short soft boards with duck-stance bindings never convinced me for freeriding. I prefer to face the nose while freeriding, even if I don't mind duck stance riding in-piste when I'm with softboots.
This guy at his camps always teaches powder riding with narrow race boards, as shown in the video posted by kallo. You can do it, if you manage to remain fast, but it's not the best choiche. And it won't work very well if you are inside a wood!! Theorically a swoard, which is perfect for extreme carving, should be better in the powder being wider.
If you are able I would buy two different boards for freeriding and carving. If you don't go very often I think the best choiche would be to buy a pure carving board. Most of the times you're sure to be able to find very good grommed slopes, while pure powder is rare, if you don't go heliskiing in Canada or something like that.

QuattroAnte
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QuattroAnte » Saturday 23 October 2010, 14:18

starikashka wrote:My swallowtail allows to carve :-) Not really fast but enough for relax and get fun ;-)
that's it. if he likes most freeriding, a swallowwtail is for me the ideal choice because, with its long effective edge and medium sidecut radius, it can be used for a freecarving style
Sempre e comunque pupillo di EMI

Swoard 168H
Factory Prime 7.3 200s "Radetzky"
Factory Prime 7.8 200s "Eisenhower"
Northwave .350 modded & head stratos + accs

philwi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by philwi » Saturday 23 October 2010, 16:48

Interesting videos.

The 1st one... well that's not really what I'd call powder - it's ankle deep stuff, mostly on a pisted base. So you're riding that base not the powder. Those riders are also windmilling their arms and generally look very much out of balance... which is precisely what happens. It's certainly possible, but it restricts the fun you can have, because you have to focus on your balance all the time. And it looks awful.

The second video... well the powder's no where near breaking over his head, but perhaps I'm spoilt. Obviously Mr Pochon can ride, and with a style I approve of ;-) That's an Extreme Carving board so it's wider than race boards, which will help.

The third video (instructor with poles). To me he looks a mess on the board, he's almost cranking it at the start of the turns, fighting for balance on what looks like straight forward terrain. Lots of arm action again... he just doesn't look balanced on it.

I ride hard boots in deep powder, and a lot of people are surprised when they realize it's smooth and efficient. I think the reason they expect it not to be is because most hardbooters they have seen in powder were riding the wrong boards. Just like "park" boards are garbage for riding piste, my race boards are I'm afraid terrible in powder. You need the right tool for the job.

I've ridden over-the-head back-country bottomless with a race boards and it's the most exhausting thing I've ever done. You have to fight for balance even on the simplest runs. Bigger boards (eg GS) are easier, but it's like riding a plank: the flex pattern (particularly the tail) is not designed for powder. No one in those vids was riding trees, but if they were then the tail issue would cause them extra difficulties.

My 2p... yes, you can do it, but it's like trying to peel an apple with a butter knife: why would you want to?

Real powder boards are designed for powder.

So on the OP... well, if you don't get a carve board which is too race-specific, and if you mostly ride resort powder, then you may find it ok if challenging to ride that board in powder. If you find it hard, then just rent any old powder board and you'll find it very easy. Eventually you may end up like me, carrying two boards with you when you travel: one for powder, the other for resorts.

Zanci
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Zanci » Saturday 23 October 2010, 17:03

Just got a rockered rad air for powder and some little carving.
Probably the best choice besides the Dual. :lol:

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 23 October 2010, 18:43

QuattroAnte wrote:
starikashka wrote:My swallowtail allows to carve :-) Not really fast but enough for relax and get fun ;-)
that's it. if he likes most freeriding, a swallowwtail is for me the ideal choice because, with its long effective edge and medium sidecut radius, it can be used for a freecarving style
My 175H extremecarver have a bigger effective edge than APO 185 swallow :-) But anyway it can be ridden in push-pull style carving :-)

http://pics.livejournal.com/starikashka ... 060rb9.jpg
i`m learning