Measuring speed with GPS during snowboarding

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Alexey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Alexey » Thursday 25 March 2010, 1:50

Its else _very_ correct my riding :-)

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Thursday 25 March 2010, 7:14

Alexey wrote:Its else _very_ correct my riding :-)
Do not understand.
i`m learning

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Thursday 25 March 2010, 8:26

Both Russians and do not understand each other.... this is 21st century.... 8)

BTW I did not understand either..... is it from Google Translate Russian / English?

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Thursday 25 March 2010, 11:34

If he would speak Russian i would understand :-)

BTW - it`s not a surprise when two people speaking their native language do not understand each other.
i`m learning

Alexey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Alexey » Thursday 25 March 2010, 11:43

Very ease understand people when you want understand (to do) it.

BTW Native language is a more difficult for understand becouse understanding each of other can be much more than different.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Thursday 25 March 2010, 15:36

Alexey - if the sentense have any kind of sense one can understand. Any question is an attempt to understand. It`s very easy if one person want understand and other person want to be understood :-)
i`m learning

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: Austria, but moedling near vienna, bloody 1 hour drive to semmering or rax

Post by Felix » Friday 26 March 2010, 0:17

Well THE expert on this matter has it's own account on the forum (author of GPSAR PRO).
My highs go to around 135km/h average over at least 5 seconds at 1 second GPS interval (with intermediary points deleted) to get a fairer top speed. I reached this
a) using GS race skis, and tight clothes (no racing suit though) on a steep slope straightlining. Skis are much better for a deep tuck, and more stable. I once attended a ski test, where a proper SG course was flagged out (though only 500m vert), but don't think I went faster than around 115km/h (though I still think I never carved before or after that much at over 100km/h). I don't own SG/DH race skis, so can't test out. Straightlining a perfectly groomed and already slightly softened up la Corne in Zinal with DH skis and racing suit in a tuck, I am sure one could reach nearly 200km/h. High speeds on skis are much much easier than on a snowboard.

b) using longboards/swallowtails and powder straightlining a 45° face over 400m vert with rather heavy powder.

c) I am sure my absolut max is still higher than the two above, but have no measurement of the following. I once had a big snowslide avalanche behind me (the slide set of over 300m width, and around 120cm height) on face starting of with around 60° for the first 120m vert, then quickly easening out to around 40°) which I straightlined in a run for my life over 600m vert overall. I did not have a GPS on me though for this run, but am more or less sure I never went quicker. While at the top snow was still more or less powder, at the bottom halve it was really heavy spring snow. Lucky I was on a swallowtailed 2m tanker for that run, cause at such speeds length and swallowtail save your ass (as long as you go straight), and lucky that I because I had to drop in around 7m over a windlip, I set off the slide while being fast already, so it could not pull the board from below me, as it happens when you are slower than the avalanche. I straightlined top to bottom even though I had some advance, because I there was no way to properly get away from the runout zone of the avalanche and after knowing that I had quite some advance, I just tried to carry as much speed as possible to get further away from the flat runout zone.
Swoard 3D - 168M
http://Openmtbmap.org - get the most popular maps for Mountainbiking in Europe...