board maintenance

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

maintenance

I bring my board to a shop
15%
I wax and tune the edges sometimes
19%
I wax and tune the edges always
62%
Don't need it
4%

Total votes: 26

Lee
Rank 4
Rank 4

board maintenance

Post by Lee » Wednesday 10 November 2004, 20:23

For an article i would like to know how many snowboarders do their own maintenance. Waxing and edge tuning. What kind of wax do you use, universal or temperature/humidity specific wax?

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Thursday 11 November 2004, 9:03

I just don't know any shop, that I trust enough to give my baby to them. I've seen so many boards that were destroyed or at least seriously damaged by one of the stupid guys with a grinding machine.
free extreme carving

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

easy to wax everyone should so it :)

Post by nils » Thursday 11 November 2004, 9:33

wax:
am using basically cheap universal wax that costs 13 euros per kilo. using yellow and red ines when conditions really change!
swoard owners shouldn't really need to use extra specific fluo wax ( $$$) because the ekectra 4000 from IMS does not require a fluo wax to glide better...maybe competitors winning 0.1 sec find it usefull, we don't!

Nils

WokkingMax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WokkingMax » Thursday 11 November 2004, 9:36

in that poll there is my way of maintenance missing: i usually wax and edge tune it myself but after 1 or 2 season i bring it to a shop of my trust for a big maintenance cause the base needs it too and u cant really make it as good as a professional shop ;-P
Quote Fruno: "Weiss einer von euch, was das Wort "Hirnwixerei" bedeutet?"

Virus-CyborgTitanal181 "Blingbling"/Undertaker192 "Sissi"
Deeluxe-Suzuka Thermoflex
Sikaflexed Gloves

McFussel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by McFussel » Thursday 11 November 2004, 9:39

WokkingMax wrote:in that poll there is my way of maintenance missing: i usually wax and edge tune it myself but after 1 or 2 season i bring it to a shop of my trust for a big maintenance cause the base needs it too and u cant really make it as good as a professional shop ;-P
Nothing to add: Max is absolutely right!!!!
Don´t ride the chicken line!

http://www.carving-masters.de

tommaso2k
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tommaso2k » Thursday 11 November 2004, 9:41

Hi Lee,

i use a normal standard wax which you could by in every snowboard shop. AS Nils said for me this is sufficient enough.

Thomas
Brand doesn´t matter, the spirit does!

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Thursday 11 November 2004, 13:22

Hi,
I also use a standard wax, adapted to the temperature. Till now I have used Swix CH 6, below -8 degrees, CH 7, between -4 and -8, CH 7 +1 to -4, and CH 10, 0 and warmer. This year I hav been convinced to try Briko yellow, 0 to -7 degrees and will see how this wax works. It is more important to wax often and have the sole well prepared than hitting the exact wax, for our purposes. I agree with Nils, using the expensive fluor waxes for our use is unnecessary. It is also important to keep the edges in constant good shape so I use the fine file and/or a sanding stone/diamond sanding stone after each session. That usually reduces the need of leaving the board to a tuning shop dramatically.
harald

Lee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lee » Thursday 11 November 2004, 14:13

I also agree with Nils. I mostly use swix CH6 or CH7. CH4 for indoor use. I have fluoro waxes and only use it for competition in "wetter" conditions but are too expensive for daily use.