Virus boots first impression

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Virus boots first impression

Post by skywalker » Friday 22 October 2004, 9:25

Last night some spies were at the Virus factory to find out, what it is exactly about the new boot. They reported some very interesting news about the boots and some new boards by Virus. Here is, what the say about the boot:

-It's already well known in this forum, how the boot look. It's optically and technically exactly the same as the UPZ, available only in one colour (red).

-comes with termo liners as standard. They look all right for me.

-Most important: The spring mechanism works. The moves are well controlled by the spring, while the flex feels more progressive than that of the Northwaves. I liked it, because it gives even better ancle support.

-Very stiff shell. The movements of the boot are clearly located in the joint, not in shell deformation. here is a inner canting adjustment, which will have to show how it works. But many Ski boots have one, and there it seems to do it. It will have to show, if the boot is laterally even too stiff.

-higher leg than the MACH series. I wondered, if they would improve this point, as I had some problems with te boots of the MACH series. With the mach boots I levered my heel out of the boot because of a too short and too soft tongue. It is longer with this boots now. It's still a little bit short at the shank-side, but this is strengtened by a strap. So in this point, it also works much better than the old UPS/UPZ

-Indeed very short. Not only the sole, also the entire boot is shorter than a Raichle fitting the same foot.

Unfortunately the spies only had the chance to test the boots statically on a snowboard flat on the ground. There was no possibility to testride them, as Virus still doesn't make available a slope at their factory. In conclusion they would recommend this boot. If I wasn't one of the lucky owners of a northwave, I would immediately switch to the Virus boots, because i think, it's the only available boot that really works. And with the termo liner it should fit almost every foot. There are only a few boots available by Virus, but they can be bought directly from UPZ also for about 500,- € including the termo liner.

It was a very interesting evening, as always when spies attac Virus (better than vice versa anyways ;) ;)).

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: Virus boots first impression

Post by fivat » Friday 22 October 2004, 11:21

Good news Tom ("skywalker" the spy) ! :D I especially like these points:
skywalker wrote:-Very stiff shell. The movements of the boot are clearly located in the joint, not in shell deformation.
[...]
-Indeed very short. Not only the sole, also the entire boot is shorter than a Raichle fitting the same foot.
I'm looking forward to test those boots. We are still searching dream boots that could replace the Northwave.

Patrice Fivat

McFussel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by McFussel » Friday 22 October 2004, 13:31

Well....to be honest.....I saw the shoooooo and I´m sad that I bought myself last year a deeluxe (whith which I feel okay)...

The UPZ looks great and the price from Frank is REALLY fair!!!! :wink:
Don´t ride the chicken line!

http://www.carving-masters.de

tommaso2k
Rank 5
Rank 5

Spy #2

Post by tommaso2k » Friday 22 October 2004, 13:38

Hi guys,

i am the spy number 2 now because yesterday i joint Tom visiting Frank from Virus :wink: :wink: .

His summary about the boot is very good and detailed and so there is nothing i would like to add so far except one point:

I purchased one UPZ boot from Frank yesterday and indeed in my old Raichles SB324 i had the size 28.5 and in my new UPZ i only need 28 which make the boot about 0,5 cm shorter in the solelength.

The bad news is that i have no time so far to test the boot and provide a detailed feedback here in the forum but i promise to do so later this year when i got the first impressions - so please be patient :lol:

Maybe some other guys have the chance to testride the boot in Sölden from Riml sports because there you can test the boot.

So hopefully this boot could be a good alternative to the old good Northwave boots.

Cheers

Thomas
Brand doesn´t matter, the spirit does!

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Testing UPZ

Post by István » Friday 22 October 2004, 14:45

Great, next week I'll be there!

I'll check it out.

Cheers,

István

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Friday 22 October 2004, 15:04

the price from Frank is REALLY fair!!!!
So we are talking about same level as for Raichles, less than 300 euros or even less 8O

McFussel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by McFussel » Friday 22 October 2004, 15:16

pokkis wrote:
So we are talking about same level as for Raichles, less than 300 euros or even less 8O
No, it´s 399.....the Raichle INDY is 399.....so it is the same.....

:idea:

McFussel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by McFussel » Friday 22 October 2004, 15:16

pokkis wrote:
No, it´s 399.....the Raichle INDY is 399.....so it is the same.....

:idea:

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Spring System

Post by rcrobar » Friday 22 October 2004, 22:32

Hi Tommaso2k & Skywalker

Is the Virus spring mechanisms exactly the same as the UPS/UPZ boots?

Did Virus redesign the 3 position, pins falling into a hole, forward lean setting that the original UPS/UPZ boots had on its' spring system?

Is the Virus boots' forward lean micro-adjustable, threads on a bolt style, like the Northwave boots?

A true spy always gets pictures, when will Virus update that site?

Thanks
Rob

Diablillo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Diablillo » Saturday 23 October 2004, 11:57

Rob,

I have a picture, but I don't know how to put it into the forum.

So, give me your e-mail.[/img][/list]

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Saturday 23 October 2004, 12:26

On thread Virus Hardboots, there are pics like this which is from UPZ boots but as i understand nothing is changed.

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Spring mechanism

Post by skywalker » Monday 25 October 2004, 14:39

Hello Rob!

Sorry, there was no chance to take pictures. They would have killed the Spies, if they had found any documents or Cameras at them. Even without the job was extremely riscy ;) ;) ;)

Yes, the mechanism seems to be exactly the same. Only the plastic release part looks a little bit different, it comes with sort of wings on each side for better handling. But if I understood correctly, the UPZ will look the same.

Unfortunately Virus did not redesign the forward lean setting. It's still with three positions and without an extre micro-adjustable solution. But fine-adjustment can be done anyways on both the Virus and the UPZ boot in a similar way as with the NWs: By fastening the forward bold and releasing the bw bold or vice versa. Only for further adjustment the pin/hole mechanism is needed.

BTW: Virus will update the page next week. Or the week after next week. Or the week after that week, or... So if you ask, they always reply, it would be very soon. No idea, when they will really manage to update this site, but they should hurry up, as the saison almost started!

Hope this helps

Tom
free extreme carving

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Price

Post by István » Monday 25 October 2004, 17:41

Guys, help me out with a bit of math. The new Virus boot is EUR 500. The Indy is approx EUR 400. Where is the EUR 300 difference?

Kindest,

István

ps.: Let me ask you a language related question, too. What does IMHO and BTW stand for? I see it more and more often, and I do not have these abbreviations in my English - English dictionary. Thx.

frunobulax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by frunobulax » Monday 25 October 2004, 17:50

BTW- by the way
IMHO - in my humble opinion (not sure)

BTW, you haven't got the english-hungarian dictionary as used in Monty Python's Flying Circusssss..?

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Monday 25 October 2004, 18:36

Thanks Fruno!

Monty Pythons - I love them... I know the scene that you refer to... that is a good one! I do not have such a dictionary, but sometimes I use the same techniqe in my job... :-)

Cheers,

István