This is a "multithread": Greetings, Swoard-Test...

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

This is a "multithread": Greetings, Swoard-Test...

Post by cmachine » Saturday 27 December 2003, 23:26

Hi all

First: I would like to send you greetings from our Christmas holiday in Italy with 5 pictures:

The pictures on these 2 links show our (=Boris’ and mine) favourite slope:

Slope from top: http://www.carver.cc/gallery/photo.php? ... hibition=3

Slope from bott.: http://www.carver.cc/gallery/photo.php? ... hibition=3

Additionally we have 3 new action fotos:

Foto 1: http://www.carver.cc/gallery/photo.php? ... hibition=3

Foto 2: http://www.carver.cc/gallery/photo.php? ... hibition=3

Foto 3: http://www.carver.cc/gallery/photo.php? ... hibition=3

Second: Board Test:

On our holidays we had some boards and could compare them against the SWOARD. The boards: Nidecker Proto, Kessler (Custom board of Olympic winner), Oxess (Custom board), Virus Demon, Swoard 175s, Swoard 175m.

Our friend Dani did ride the Nidecker, the Kessler and the Swoard 175m.
His comment: “The swoard has the best grip. I will come to the EC-Session in Zinal, try some of these boards and buy one.”

Our friend Lukas did ride the Kessler, the Oxess, the Virus and the Swoard 175s.
His comment: “All these boards have a very good grip. The Virus has a smaller radius than the Swoard and maybe a little better grip; but I’m not sure about this without further testing on identical snow condidions. I needed to get used to ride a wide board like the Swoard”
In the pic above, Lukas did his turn on the Oxess board.

I tried the Swoard 175s + m and the Kessler.
My comment: “The Swoard is better for EC turns. The Swoard med. has the better grip than the soft.”

Second: Dangerous sport:
I think this EC-turns are very dangerous. In one of these turns I badly injured my shoulder because of the high force that suddenly acted on it after loosing the edge grip because of a riding-mistake. Badly means that I may not be fit until Zinal.
Does anybody have experiences with this and know how to avoid it for the future?

Stay Deep
Olaf

audacium
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by audacium » Sunday 28 December 2003, 17:05

Hi Olaf,

what did you do exactly? I dislocated my shoulder when trying to do EC on a skwal (don't like skwals any more :-)). I do not think I can give really very specific advice how to avoid this or other injuries to the shoulder in the future, but rather some general ideas.
It is always a good idea to have enough muscles to stabilize everything, so it might make sense to train the shoulder region in the future. More muscles can keep the joint better in place and absorb more severe shocks.
If there are moguls or the piste is too uneven I usually refrain from EC, exactly because I fear to have my arm displaced somewhere. Also, if I still wnat to get down on an uneven piste, I then keep my arms rather in front of me instead of above me (even if it feels not so nice), but this is safer. And I just touch the snow very lightly, i.e., I do not glide with my whole body and weight on the snow.
If you also dislocated your shoulder or severely injured it otherwise, a good and sincere advice from my own experience: Keep the shoulder quiet for some weeks, give it enough time to heal, and then start slowly with physiotherapy. The shoulder is one of the most complicated joints of the human body and thus very sensible. If you do not give it enough time to heal and start again to early, disabilities or e.g. a tendency to dislocate easily will remain.
I strictly kept the regime of my doctor and therapist, even if it took three months until I could ride again, and probably about half a year until I could move the shoulder almost normally.

Good luck!

Eduard.

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Monday 29 December 2003, 11:51

Hi Eduard

Thanks for the detailed reply.
audacium wrote: I then keep my arms rather in front of me instead of above me (even if it feels not so nice), but this is safer.
Yes, I think this is a very good idea. I will try this.

To touch the snow very slighly is also a good idea. But sometimes I loose the edge grip because of a riding mistake. When this happens the "snow-touching" changes suddenly from slighly to hard.

Have a nice time
Olaf

Mariusz.Zamojski
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mariusz.Zamojski » Tuesday 30 December 2003, 14:39

Hi Olaf

This slope looks perfect. :) Where is it ? Is it Livigno ?

Mariusz

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Tuesday 30 December 2003, 16:26

Hi Mariusz
Where is it ? Is it Livigno ?
Yes, it's Livigno. And I still can't belive that this slope is really as empty as on the photo. Even during the chrismast holiday. :lol:

Olaf

Mariusz.Zamojski
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mariusz.Zamojski » Tuesday 30 December 2003, 23:09

A few weeks ago some polish riders spend there a week and they send such picture:

http://www.pl-rec-sport-zimowe.net/livigno.jpg

Now I know where I'll be riding in 2004 :)

Mariusz

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

CORDUROY

Post by Hans » Tuesday 30 December 2003, 23:32

Nice sharp picture.
This is some serious corduroy carving stuff :pray2:

Never seen such highways suitable for carving in the early season. Only in Lech but that's a very dull and expensive place to stay and sometimes not very snowcertain in the early season.

May be this place is a good option for the extremecarving session next year to promo the SWOARD for hardbooting Italy.

Greets, Hans.

audacium
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by audacium » Wednesday 31 December 2003, 1:33

Lech a dull place? Why this?? I know it is considered a rather expensive and "fancy" place to stay, but when I went there I really enjoyed. (A pity I have not been there for two years now.) As I ride all day usually I do not go out often in the evenings, but if I like to I always find nice places with nice people. I think these places are maybe somewhat "hidden", and there is not as much party as in Soelden or Ischgl, but I prefer this "style" :-)
And as you said: Lech has some extremely good slopes for EC, and with powder it is also fantastic to ride offpiste (if even you have to get up early to get fresh powder...many people come there to ride off piste)

Eduard.

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Wednesday 31 December 2003, 5:43

Hi Audacium,

No offense, I agree with the slopes. But I am very fond of après-ski, and there is nothing till less to do in this little town, so that is what I meant with dull if you take the nightlife, après-ski and shoppingarea of St. Anton in the same area in consideration. And if you want really to go offpiste, St. Anton has more to give than Lech. I have been there three times now. I am not going there anymore since I have to pay for 4 lifttickets nowadays with my family. It's a little too expensive to stay there for my wallet for a week in high season (schoolholidays). And you can have the same fun at much more cheaper areas nowadays.

Greets, Hans.

audacium
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by audacium » Wednesday 31 December 2003, 9:28

Hey, this is not about offense :D I just think Lech has more to offer than most believe, even if its apres-ski facilities are not quite that numerous... But I agree that one can have quite good slopes, more fun with more apres-ski at lower prices elsewhere. And when you talk about a family I remember my father sometimes moaning when he had to pay for the six members of my family... no negligible expenses of the year anymore :-)
When I talk about Lech I usually mean the whole Arlberg anyway, so I am a little bit sloppy here :? I like Lech so much because of the very good pistes and because it seems to be a little bit separated from the rest of the world :-)

Now I have not yet been to Ischgl, do you know about this resort? I want to go there for one or two days soon.

Greetings, Eduard.

(P.S.: Just curious: Why do you post your messages at 5.43 am??? I like getting up early, but this is very very early...)

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Wednesday 31 December 2003, 9:43

audacium wrote:Now I have not yet been to Ischgl, do you know about this resort?
Hi Eduard

There are nice slopes :) , but it's sometimes very very very crowded :cry: :cry:

olaf

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Wednesday 31 December 2003, 9:51

Mariusz.Zamojski wrote:A few weeks ago some polish riders spend there a week and they send such picture:

http://www.pl-rec-sport-zimowe.net/livigno.jpg

Now I know where I'll be riding in 2004 :)

Mariusz
Hi Mariusz

They prepare the slope EVERY night. ....Oh no, thats wrong, they will not prepare the slope every night, they prepare the WHOLE area (=all slopes) every night. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

An I forgot to tell you: There are 2 skiing areas in Livigno, and of course both are prepared every night. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

see the snowcats coming back in the early morning:

:mrgreen:

Stay Deep
Olaf

MennoB
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by MennoB » Wednesday 31 December 2003, 13:22

I have been to Livigno once, but very long ago and in summer.

I remember that getting there was quite a long journey.
Has access to Livigno been improved over the last years?
Especially when you come from the north (NL in my case), you had to go either via Landeck (AU) or via Chur (CH).
In both cases a long trip over curvy roads.
What is the fastest route to Livigno (let's say when coming from Frankfurt)?

Apparently slop 19 is very good for EC.
I have always wondered what slope 14 is like. Can you give feedback on that one?

Have there been many new lifts in Livigno over the last years?

And finally: do they have any plans to enlarge the ski area?

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Wednesday 31 December 2003, 14:50

Hi MennoB

...or via Chur (CH).
In both cases a long trip over curvy roads.
What is the fastest route to Livigno (let's say when coming from Frankfurt)?
You don't have to go via Chur over the mountains know. In Klosters there is a tunnel now (you go with your car on the train. Costs 40CHF = about 25 EUR)

Apparently slop 19 is very good for EC.
I have always wondered what slope 14 is like. Can you give feedback on that one?
14? I don't know. I preferred Chairlift No 19: http://www.aptlivigno.com/en/sport/veri ... giovie.htm

A) Have there been many new lifts in Livigno over the last years?
B) And finally: do they have any plans to enlarge the ski area?
A) Not since last year. I've first been there in 2002.
B) sorry, don't know too

Olaf

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Wednesday 31 December 2003, 14:55

audacium wrote: (P.S.: Just curious: Why do you post your messages at 5.43 am??? I like getting up early, but this is very very early...)
I am just an early bird, don't need much sleep. And when your 3 year old lovely daughter awakens you in the morning at 5 o'clock :lol: I can't sleep anymore. So I just go read the newspaper or do some work or just now read some stuff at this forum.

Greets, Hans.