New/First board: NEED HELP (updated)

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

5_against_1
Rank 2
Rank 2

New/First board: NEED HELP (updated)

Post by 5_against_1 » Monday 4 December 2006, 23:12

Hello all,

I'd like to start extreme carving this winter. I know about SWOARD boards but I would like to get better/expert before making such an investments. Also, living in Canada makes it extremely costly.

What are the best "mainstream" boards that you would suggest to learn the "extreme carving" technique? I am 6'0" (1.82m) high and I weigh about 210lbs(95 kg). What are the specs that I should look into? (e.g. board length, board width, stiffness)

Although I have never attempted to do extreme carving, you can consider me as being advanced since I have been snowboarding since 1995 and I am roughly an expert at water skiing (slalom), which I think have similarities. I am a quick learner, so do not hesitate to suggest high-end equipment.

My ultimate plan is to eventually get a Swoard board if I can develop the technique properly.

I know this is a long post but eh, the quality of your input may potentially bring a new fan to your favorite sport.

Thank you,

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

welcome here :)

Post by nils » Monday 4 December 2006, 23:22

Could you translate the height size to metric :) then we might be of some help!
thnx
Nils

jnshapiro
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: welcome here :)

Post by jnshapiro » Tuesday 5 December 2006, 4:41

nils wrote:Could you translate the height size to metric :) then we might be of some help!
thnx
Thread drift warning!

Nils, maybe you could help explain something. Why is the height of the rider important? Body weight I can see as it's needed to know how the board will decamber and flex. But I don't see where height comes into play. Unless there is some leverage issue that escapes me.

For example, when we bought new ski's for my wife, the guy at the shop wanted to set her up based on her height. He couldn't explain why. I thought that skill/ability and weight would be much more important.

Thanks.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

easy

Post by nils » Tuesday 5 December 2006, 8:10

height is related to edge length and radius of the board.
If you are short its fine to make circles that are very short in carving, if you are big, the turn will be way too fast to be good for EC.
its a compromise we have worked on: hence the different size boards adapted to both weight and size > hence the complexity for us ( 9 different boards to manage).
A light but tall guy on a 161M will be not happy ( experienced) and a short but heavy guy on a 175H is going to be locked on the edges.... remember the boards are wide too, explaining also a leverage issue on the edge to edge transistions!

:)
Nils

tommaso2k
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: New/First board: NEED HELP (updated)

Post by tommaso2k » Tuesday 5 December 2006, 11:47

5_against_1 wrote:I am 6'0" (1.82m) high and I weigh about 210lbs(95 kg).
Nils,

if i am not totally wrong he has given his height which is 182 cm.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Thomas
Brand doesn´t matter, the spirit does!

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

damn :)

Post by nils » Tuesday 5 December 2006, 12:30

am I blind or did he edited his text :)

board> 175H.
You are at the upper limit of the flex, but it is still ok... 100 or more kilos are not recommended on that board!
N

jnshapiro
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: easy

Post by jnshapiro » Thursday 7 December 2006, 4:55

nils wrote:height is related to edge length and radius of the board.
If you are short its fine to make circles that are very short in carving, if you are big, the turn will be way too fast to be good for EC.
Could you explain that more specifically? I'm having a real hard time understanding what the riders height has to do with it. The size of the turn is dictated by the amount the board is decambered, assuming it's tracking cleanly on the edge. That is directly related to the weight of the rider and any additional input he/she put into the board (via pressure towards the middle of the board to force more curve into the board). How does height play into this?

From a physics standpoint, the amount of extra leveraged put into the system as a function of the height of the rider is minimal.

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Thursday 7 December 2006, 9:42

I'm not sure, if this amount is minimal or not.

- Weight shift along the board axis should be almost proportional to rider's height.
- The momentum which turns the board on ist's longitudinal axis at a given force / effort should be almost proportional to rider's height.
- The Radius one feels when laying turn down is depending on the rider's head's path. This does not only depend on the board's track but also on rider's height.
- stance

maybe it's not as important as weight, but pretty sure it's not minimal ;)

skywalker
free extreme carving