Picture from Aspen :D

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

kjl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Picture from Aspen :D

Post by kjl » Tuesday 28 February 2006, 17:24

The Pureboarding group came over to Aspen while I was riding there and invited me into their group picture. Hey, what kind of board is that in the very middle? :D

Great, friendly bunch of guys - they have a very relaxed rotational style as well, and ride short, wide boards (the #TWO rides like a stiffer Swoard).

Hope you guys can come out here sometime - it would be pretty epic to have a Bomber/Pureboard/Swoard combination session!
Attachments
cc48195930.jpg
cc48195930.jpg (58.69 KiB) Viewed 5909 times
--

Ken

x-eff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by x-eff » Tuesday 28 February 2006, 17:45

Lots of oxess boards here. Are they made to customer's specs ?
Dré dans l'pentu !!

Simon
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: in the snow, Swoard_3D_175_S_079 Swoard_2D_175_M_061 Pureboarding_Bastard Pureboarding_#TWO

Post by Simon » Tuesday 28 February 2006, 18:21

yes, they are custom made, flex, position of inserts, sidecut...

have a look: http://www.oxess.ch/

kjl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kjl » Tuesday 28 February 2006, 18:45

The two people with Oxess boards in that picture are Ueli, who is one of the 4 people at Oxess, and Jacky (Jacqueline?), his (now) fiance. They got engaged in the gondola at Ajax two weeks ago!

I wanted to try their boards but they are both very tall (190+ cm?) and the inserts were too far apart for me!
--

Ken

gdboytyler
Rank 4
Rank 4

Demos?

Post by gdboytyler » Wednesday 1 March 2006, 6:56

KJL,

What other boards did you demo? Did you get to try out the Prior with the titanal topsheet?

Are you the guy that won the limbo contest? If yes, were you riding the Swoard when you won?

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Hey Ken :)

Post by nils » Wednesday 1 March 2006, 9:05

Nice pic thnx,
We shall really do something with the other swiss manufacturers such as Oxess, Kessler etc... We appreciate what they do too, and in the future shall i Hope do some small partnership on events, if they like ( with the pureboarding crew of course...) Would be a great thing to have a swiss carving day :)

Ken, that was holiday to celebrate Disney's absorbtion?? ;)

By the way> no wonder why ken won the limbo: He is using the rotation technique :).

We were asked to organise also a Limbo contest, but we think only one turn is not enough and too easy. We want to do it with three gates, a bit appart, so that the winner will have do excel in both frontside AND backside :) AND recover! Three gates will make it possible for goofy footers to choose from Front then back or opposite..

:)

kjl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kjl » Wednesday 1 March 2006, 16:02

Hi, I also demoed:

173 F2 Speedster RS
168 F2 Silberpfeil
158 Madd
163 Madd BX
175 Virus (Zylon)
Pureboard #TWO
181 Prior WCR (not metal/titanal)
James Ong's 203(!) Donek custom (22.5cm waist) (ha ha - huge).

What a wonderful thing it is to be able to demo a lot of different boards to find out what you like.

My two favorites were the 173 F2 Speedster RS and the 158 Madd. The Speedster was so stable at high speeds and snappy so it would give me some energy back at the ends of turns, so I could still do push-pull kinds of turns at higher speeds. I'm lucky to have small feet (25) so I can still ride 55/50 on the 19cm waist of the Speedster. Not as much fun or playful as my Swoard at slower speeds, though.

The Madd was unbelievably fun! Very tight sidecut so you make a billion turns in a single run, but definitely they are all push-pull turns, plus it held an incredible edge and was stable at high speeds - a 158 that rode like a 175! Narrow waist = high angles = painful back knee when rotating on the frontside turn.

I was demoing the 168 Silberpfeil when the limbo contest started, so that's what I was riding when I won :D It was too turny for me when riding normally (10.5m sidecut?) but in retrospect a turny, wide board like that is probably best for the contest so you don't have to hike so far up the hill to get enough speed to lay out a turn and get up again.

Nils: if the contest had both a frontside and a backside turn all the EC guys would always win! :D But you would need to set the course up next to a rope tow - you would need a lot of speed to do both turns, meaning a long, long hike in between each run.

--

Ken

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

yes :)

Post by nils » Wednesday 1 March 2006, 16:32

another thing> you won because u have no mullet :) to drag the bar down!

another nice carving contest would be easy to do, we have to think about it.
In carving skies contests, they use freesbee sized pads they leave on the snow, and the slalom turns around them. What would be awsome would be to use the same "buoys" and, a bit different than in waterski slalom, spread them apart each time after each set is qualified. (in waterski the rope is shorten after each run). Each run would have same effect: make you do a better extension ( fully laid turn) until you cannot reach the "buoys" anymore.
Would be easy to set, but would need a fairly steep slope to work. The last contestant to succeed the biggest amount of "buoys" wins!

What do you guys think of the idea?

Nils