F2 Speedster GTS or F2 Speedcross?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

planeteer
Rank 0
Rank 0

F2 Speedster GTS or F2 Speedcross?

Post by planeteer » Saturday 4 February 2006, 17:05

Hello, Hallo & Bonjour all!
Unfortunately I can't afford the real thing (...a Swoard!:twisted:) quite yet... so I'm currently hesitating between two alternatives:

- F2 Speedster GTS (the blue-yellow model from last year)
- F2 Speedcross (the current f2 freecarver, seems to be the successor of the gts)

What do you think of these options? Any relevant differences between the above boards? Any other good (=moderate price and best possible EC-abilities) options?

I've been riding a Speedster SL for several years (which has lost all tension and become soft and floppy...). I did some great carving last weekend on a borrowed f2 gts, however there might be something even better out there!:wink:

Thanks for your help&tips!
Mark

#Live Life on the Edge... -CARVE!#

roger
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: F2 Speedster GTS or F2 Speedcross?

Post by roger » Tuesday 7 February 2006, 17:39

Hello,

I have a good impression of the F2-speedster 183. But I think choosing the board is quite tricky. The best is of course to try a few boards and then to have one that is suitable for your riding technique/goals. Of course the slopes/snow conditions on the hill that you frequent is important too!

Generally speaking, the Speedster will be more stable when carving, but clumsier to handle. The speedcross, I beleive, is more versatile and easier to handle, but less of a performer when you have it on the edge.

Roger
That in the soul which is called the mind is, before it thinks, not actually any real thing.

Quiver: -04 F2 Eliminator Ltd 167 (TD2's) and a -05 F2 Speedster 183 (TD2's)

Simon
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: in the snow, Swoard_3D_175_S_079 Swoard_2D_175_M_061 Pureboarding_Bastard Pureboarding_#TWO

Post by Simon » Tuesday 7 February 2006, 20:11

Hello

I absolutely agree with roger, that the speedster RS 183 (I also have one and love it) is a great board, but planeteer looks for a speedster GTS. My GTS is a 1998 model of the length 158, it's mainly a slalom board optimized for carving with a small sidecut radius (about 9m). The board behaves not so nervous and aggressive than a real race board. Don't misunderstand it's not a lame duck, you can carve it hard and also go fast, it stays stable. I've never ridden a speedcross (Bowen had one and destroyed it), I rode my GTS almaost 100 days and it's still in great condition, but nowadays I like more the longer sticks.

If you already have ridden an SL for several years, why do you wanna make a step back to the GTS, why not go for a RS. The RS is much better suitable for carving because of its bigger radius. The RS also does not suffer that much from nose digging and drives more stable on bumpy ground. Ok, the 183 RS needs enough space, but you must not take the longest one!

Simon

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Tuesday 7 February 2006, 20:24

Take the longest Speedcross you can.
It as a huge avantage on the Speedsters: it's large !

The Speedsters are better boards, maybe.
But they are too narrow for EC style, making it hard to do proper rotation. :rules:
Swoard 168M / Undertaker 185 + F2 Race Ti + tuned Raichle 324
Resorts : St Lary / Peyragudes / La Thuile
Carver toute l'année : carveboard.fr

roger
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by roger » Wednesday 8 February 2006, 0:16

Simon wrote:I absolutely agree with roger, that the speedster RS 183 (I also have one and love it) is a great board, but planeteer looks for a speedster GTS.
Ah, yes, missed that little detail.. :-P
That in the soul which is called the mind is, before it thinks, not actually any real thing.

Quiver: -04 F2 Eliminator Ltd 167 (TD2's) and a -05 F2 Speedster 183 (TD2's)

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Tuesday 14 February 2006, 12:11

I tried the Speedcross during ECS. It's a board for beginners. Carving is possible on well groomed snow. Due to the width, it's easy to lay down front and backside turns.
Negative points :
This board is lazy : difficult to make short turns in narrow slopes. There is also a lack of stability at higher speed. Poor grip on hard snow. I felt it uncomfortable on bumps.

If you are starting in carving, speedcross could be a good choice for moderate price. But if you are already advanced carver, forget it !

Arnaud
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M