Carving equipment

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

olicarve
Rank 0
Rank 0

Carving equipment

Post by olicarve » Wednesday 30 November 2005, 14:02

Please help. Anyone know of any shops in the London area which sell carving equipment? The usual shops (TSA, Snow and Rock) are no help

Thank you

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Wednesday 30 November 2005, 20:00

Hello,

what are you after ?
maybe a shop is not the best place to search.
Swoard 168M / Undertaker 185 + F2 Race Ti + tuned Raichle 324
Resorts : St Lary / Peyragudes / La Thuile
Carver toute l'année : carveboard.fr

olicarve
Rank 0
Rank 0

carving equipment

Post by olicarve » Wednesday 30 November 2005, 22:10

Hello, thanks for your reply.

Am looking for a board that I can start my carving career with my soft boots and then move onto a plate/hardboot setup later.

Know of any suitable boards that might be suitable?

Dave
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dave » Thursday 1 December 2005, 7:02

why not making the step at once?

For beginning, I checked sites like e-bay for used boards.
The boots I got from a shop that had a few hardboots laying in the back :wink:

Hope this helps

Dave
Party hard, party wise
Swoard2005 168H 004, Northwave nexus grey

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Thursday 1 December 2005, 12:04

I tend to think like Dave: you'd better jump on hardboots and freecarve board at once. Carving with other gear is extremely difficult. Plus alpine boards are way too narrow to put softboots on it. :wink:

We recently discussed the contrary (hardboots on softboard): viewtopic.php?t=1802&highlight=
Not very good either. :?

To buy the board, bidings and boots, the best way is "ebay.de". You'll be able to buy a good starting board for a very low price.

But if you've got the money, the easier is starting directly on the Swoard, because it's wide, manoeuvrable and feels safe. If you never rode alpine before, it will be much easier to learn and ride than with any narrow and stiff alpine boards. No comparison.

But first you'd better tell us your size, weigth, level of experience and all. Because we can't recommend a long stiff board if you're short and light.

Regarding boots: Raichle 324, Raichle AF600, Deeluxe Suzuka, and Head Stratos Pro, are all good ones. But be very carefull with the size. Mesure your feet in millimeters and trust only mondopoint sizes. If the mondopoint is longer than your feet, even just a little longer... don't buy the boots. A little shorter is no problem, it will adapt to your feet.
There are many articles on boots subjects on the forum and the website:
https://www.extremecarving.com/tech/mat.html
viewtopic.php?t=1011 (a newbie got every answer in this one, READ IT :wink: )

P.S:
By the way. I see you live in London. Did you see this ? :
viewtopic.php?t=1623&highlight=
It's nice and cool, it isn't long from, nor expensive from London... and you can test boards. 8)
I'm the organiser feel free to ask anything.

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Thursday 1 December 2005, 14:32

Riding with stiff soft boots and carving board is normally bad combo, but with Swoard that is not such big prob, if boots are not big ones.
My 27.5 mondo F2 Tunders and HBX bindings are set to 42/48 angles on my 175M Classic Swoard and it fully workable that way. Naturally i would not go to hard and steep surface with that but with normal Zinal like surface (like last tw sessions there) it works quite well. Yes, i'm bad boy :wink:

neil_swingler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by neil_swingler » Saturday 3 December 2005, 8:53

Hard boots have long been forgotten in the UK.

Maybe a windsurf shop that sells F2 and snowboards as well?

Your choices are to go to a shop in Europe or buy by mail order. In Switzerland and I guess Austria, you can still find resort shops that sell hard boot gear but not in every resort.

Your best bet if you want to experiment and not spend too much is ebay.de

Mind you if money is no object, a Swoard will not be a dissapointment ;-)

olicarve
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thank you

Post by olicarve » Monday 5 December 2005, 10:34

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. I did not realise that it would be possible to go straight onto a hard boot/plate setup. I assumed that this was for the very advanced only.

I am not very experineced in soft boots- four weeks on snow, but am very keen to explore the carving aspect. It is unfortunately true that hardboot carving has been entirely forgotten in the UK- people seem to be much more into the freestyle scene.

My statistics are Height: 1.75m Weight 92kgs- don't know what sort of board that would translate into

Thank you again to all out there.

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Thank you

Post by raphael » Monday 5 December 2005, 10:56

olicarve wrote:I am not very experineced in soft boots- four weeks on snow, but am very keen to explore the carving aspect. It is unfortunately true that hardboot carving has been entirely forgotten in the UK- people seem to be much more into the freestyle scene.
That's what ebay is for :wink:
olicarve wrote:My statistics are Height: 1.75m Weight 92kgs- don't know what sort of board that would translate into
What about your feet size (in mm) ?

MarkN
Rank 3
Rank 3

Check out Bomber?

Post by MarkN » Thursday 8 December 2005, 16:14

Oli -- if you haven't already, check out the bomberonline.com site for info or to ask questions as well -- there is lots of traffic in the carving community. Only problem is getting overloaded with advice because everyone has different ideas -- however, few of the folks there are extreme carvers.

Cheers,
Mark
EC Dreamer

ljukee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ljukee » Friday 20 January 2006, 23:16

HI guys, i'm an italian snowboard teacher and i like to much carve the pist.
the best board for start IN THE CARVING STYLE is F2 silberpfeil and deeluxe hardboots !
Try for your fun days on pists !!!!!
RIDE YOUR PASSION

h3in3k3n
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by h3in3k3n » Tuesday 14 March 2006, 17:28

he guys,

i read a lot in here now and im really interested in trying out ec.
im riding a snowboard since... i guess 10 years and im coming from freeriding - extrem freeriding + cliff jumps etc. u know that shit ;)
thats why i loved to ride my arbor a-frame but u can hardly use it if u have to ride on icy pists, thats why i changed to a hard bc board for these days and i unfortunatly started carving like hell as for the frist time it hold me even in not perfect snow...

so after my lecture here and in some catalogues i decided to try the suzuka boots and F2 silberpfeil.
and thats the reason of my post... which size? i think the 172 but im wondering as i rode my a-frame with 170 and i thought for fc/ec the board should be longer...... by the way im 21, 198cm, 95kg, it depends on the time left during my studies from 3-5 days a week sport... (fitness (no BB!) + for the summer i change running into swimming :) )

hope u can help the newbie a little :)

so long h3in3k3n

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

h3

Post by nils » Tuesday 14 March 2006, 18:31

with such size and weight it is better to ride at least a 182! or a stiff board!

h3in3k3n
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by h3in3k3n » Tuesday 14 March 2006, 18:50

1. so bad?? phuu

2. what would be a stiff board in this respect....

3. the longest f2 silberpfeil i found in the shop was 172...

4. if i wanna ride a swoard the it would be the 175 H right?

Simon
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: in the snow, Swoard_3D_175_S_079 Swoard_2D_175_M_061 Pureboarding_Bastard Pureboarding_#TWO

Post by Simon » Tuesday 14 March 2006, 19:20

The 172 Silberpfeil feels even soft under my feet and I'm a flyweight. With a conshox plate mounted it's good for narrow slopes. I think you certainly don't have the smallest feet, so the narrowness (18.5cm) of the Silberpfeil could be a problem too.

recommendation: swoard, that's clear, but a stiff and long giant slalom board does also a good job. I like my speedster RS 183, it's from the year 2002 and therefore not the stiffest one, the younger models are stiffer und I think they will fit you.

Simon