Soft bindings for dual2?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

BOLETUS73
Rank 3
Rank 3

Soft bindings for dual2?

Post by BOLETUS73 » Thursday 23 September 2021, 14:51

Hi guys… finally I’ve my brand new dual2 163… love it..
now I’ve to change my bindings, in the last 3 decades I’ve ridden a lot of bindings… always freeride bindings and when they come on the market I always go with carbon hibacks..
In the last 5 years I find the paradise with a pair of union ultra with carbon forged hibacks and a very comfortable base plates and straps… love this bindings, but they getting old and it’s time to move(put them on my powder board)…
Which “soft” bindings do you use on your dual2?
thanks
Fabio

joel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Soft bindings for dual2?

Post by joel » Sunday 26 September 2021, 18:22

Today, if you want a light, responsive, good quality/price ratio, go for example for a Now Bindings "Drive" model.
EC PRO2 161M-168S / Gen5 161S / Dual2-163 / Stoke 154S / EC12

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Monday 27 September 2021, 18:03

In the team we are using the NOW Drive, or FLOW (well, only Seb is using them) and recently the PHK Mix (Swoard Edition coming soon for public release). This last model gives more smoothness and best backside ever (with a spring system), but they are heavier.

Patrice Fivat

slayer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by slayer » Tuesday 28 September 2021, 19:31

Hi Patrice,
Does the PHK have any high-back rotation on vertical axis or a more curved high-back, because the steep angles means when you lean back, you are actually putting pressure on the side of the high-back at best? At least, I am with my large feet and high angles! Does anyone else have this problem? I make do by having my bindings tight. In hardboots it is not an issue due to the rigidity of the boots. The problem with making everything tight on softboots is the rear foot needs to be looser so you can drop knee and turn more for heelside carve..

cheers,
Colin.
Soft: Dual 175, Burton Driver-X, Flux CV
Hard: Gen4 175M, UPZ RC10, F2 Race Titanium

BOLETUS73
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BOLETUS73 » Wednesday 29 September 2021, 10:49

Hi guys… thanks for the replies..
I saw the drive binding.. my big concern about this binding is that I need a base plate with adjustable heelcup… with my 8.5us I was in the lower part of the M size… never liked bindings with fixed base plate… like burtons…
The other problem is thaf I use very low angles and a thin metal heelcup is better..
After all this words I ended up with a bargain on a pair of last year “union forged carving machine”… https://www.motionboardshop.com/product ... rd-binding

They are super lightweight and very rigid… maybe too much on the footbed.. I’m thinking to put on the foot bed 0.5cm of Eva or something similar..
I let you know if they are good like or better than my loved ultra… 😉

slayer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by slayer » Thursday 30 September 2021, 2:55

Union Ultras is exactly what I have right now.. :-)
they are pretty old model though - they look like this: https://thegoodride.com/assets/lg-galle ... ackred.jpg

BOLETUS73
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BOLETUS73 » Thursday 30 September 2021, 8:02

slayer wrote:
Thursday 30 September 2021, 2:55
Union Ultras is exactly what I have right now.. :-)
they are pretty old model though - they look like this: https://thegoodride.com/assets/lg-galle ... ackred.jpg
Those are mine.. one year younger I think.. https://thegoodride.com/assets/lg-galle ... TRA_02.jpg

The main difference on the forged carving machine are a more rigid carbon forged baseplate with Regular disk.. and the totally new rubber ankle strap… 😉

joel
Administrator
Administrator

Post by joel » Thursday 30 September 2021, 18:29

I'm riding with burton moto boots in US 7.5 and it's a bit de centered (I'm using the disc to obtain perfect width centering), with US8.5 I think it would be perfect (speaking with M model).
EC PRO2 161M-168S / Gen5 161S / Dual2-163 / Stoke 154S / EC12

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Thursday 30 September 2021, 20:20

slayer wrote:
Tuesday 28 September 2021, 19:31
Hi Patrice,
Does the PHK have any high-back rotation on vertical axis or a more curved high-back, because the steep angles means when you lean back, you are actually putting pressure on the side of the high-back at best? At least, I am with my large feet and high angles! Does anyone else have this problem? I make do by having my bindings tight. In hardboots it is not an issue due to the rigidity of the boots. The problem with making everything tight on softboots is the rear foot needs to be looser so you can drop knee and turn more for heelside carve..
Hello Colin,

The high-back seems to work good when laying down backside, in conjunction with the spring system. Taro (softboots EC hero from Japan) is using MIX bindings (Swoard edition). Myself too, but rather off-piste because I prefer alpine gear for EC and soft gear for freeriding.

Patrice Fivat

slayer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by slayer » Tuesday 5 October 2021, 12:06

Hi Patrice,
Could you please put up a little video of the PHK binding in action close up? is the spring to give a bit of progressive flex on the heelside? And normal plastic straps on the front?

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Wednesday 6 October 2021, 15:39

The video is something that could be done after the release. Anyway, we provide two different springs to adjust the flex to your taste and weight.
The straps are "normal", and very comfortable.
To be followed!

Patrice Fivat