Backside EC turns tips

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

5_against_1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Backside EC turns tips

Post by 5_against_1 » Monday 8 January 2018, 4:41

Hi all,

I’m looking for some EC tips from all you experts. Last year, I got my first Swoard board (a Gen 4 168h) and have been studying various online materials on how to EC. I think I have the fundamentals under control (push-pull and rotational carves) but I’m struggling with my backside turns. I just can’t seem to commit to it. What I mean by “commit” is that I find myself in a seated position (torso up right) and can’t commit to let myself fall backwards. I think I may not be rotated enough (techically I should fall on my body side, not fall on my back). I don’t have that issue on my front turns since I had my hands to fall onto (and eat some snow the first couple times) before I got a feel for it. I’m not sure if I’m not rotated enough or if my knees aren’t bent enough (i.e. being too far off the ground might be causing that fear of falling backwards).

I’m hoping someone already went through this and may have some pointers. The two online videos that I found most useful were “EC Technique Lessons by Ben” and “ExtremeCarving Softboot tutorial”. The softboot one is very detailed but there’s no way I can bend my knees that way with hard boots. Anyways, I know this isn’t easy to teach online but I’m in Atlantic Canada and EC riders are non-existent.

Any tips / advice is extremely welcome.

Thanks everyone,

5_against_1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Backside EC turns tips

Post by 5_against_1 » Monday 8 January 2018, 4:47

Another question, can EC turns be practiced statically? What I mean is, can I practice the rotation and especially the “drop” while on flat ground (i.e. on my front lawn) without speed?

Thanks,

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Monday 8 January 2018, 21:36

Hi

Difficult to help you without some pictures or a small video. Feeling in a "seated position" is tipically a wrong leg movement (bending instead of pushing on the legs).
5_against_1 wrote:I can bend my knees that way with hard boots
What are your boots ? and your weight ?

Rotation can be done without speed, but the "pull" phase which is dynamic is much more difficult without a minimum speed.
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

5_against_1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 5_against_1 » Tuesday 9 January 2018, 1:24

Hey Arnaud,

You’re asking two important questions that could have something to do with my issue. I have an old pair of Raichle SB323 and my weight 162 lbs (73kg) which is a little bit light for a 168H board but I bought it second hand and that’s all I could get in eastern Canada.

Thanks,

Allain

5_against_1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 5_against_1 » Tuesday 9 January 2018, 1:29

I’ll try to get some pictures on Wednesday but I think I would look like this when I feel “seated” and not able to fully commit to lay down (I feel like I’m gonna fall backwards).

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Post by nils » Tuesday 9 January 2018, 9:41

Hello Allain,
You do need to start with less engaged carves and do the rotation technique turns it implies
- push pull technique ( basically the opposite of what is naturally done aka naturally we bend the legs in turns, where the push pull extends the legs in the turns)
- rotation technique, easier using the " egyptian way": facing the feet and not the tip of the board, trying to engage the turns with the shoulders, arms not used if possible ( a good training is to cross arms and turn on flatter slopes)
Check the small vids on our instagram channel, some show slower, non extremecarving turns displaying the above techniques.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcr57AAgTDz/ ( for example this one as a textbook example by Patrice)

Once you get to feel the turns working that way, then you can push lower and lower with more speed and more engagement and finally get the backsides to work..
As Arnaud stated, it is almost impossible to do push/pull - rotations without a minimum speed too.

good luck, it takes times ( took me two seasons to fully feel and embed it in my habits)
Nils

nextcarve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by nextcarve » Tuesday 9 January 2018, 11:09

MOON & CARVE: The Raceboard Event, Elsigen-Metsch, CH.
http://www.moon-and-carve.com

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Tuesday 9 January 2018, 11:54

Exercise at home:
Place a beer craft next to your front foot on frontside.
Take the craft and place it on your backside.
See where your hips are?
Now you do the same on the slope (but without the craft :lol2: )
Got it?
But it works better, if you bend the knees and keep the body upright.
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

Capykiller
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capykiller » Tuesday 9 January 2018, 13:27

Ok, I'll give it a try. In my opinion you should focus on the body rotation before going down. Do it with drifted turns first and then carving on the edge. It was the key for me. As you see in Petr's video he's nearly on the ground on the backside even if he's doing very little push pull.
https://youtu.be/UX5bW3uyfrc

Viel Spaß
SWOARD Extremecarver Pro 2 168H, SWOARD Bindung Redline, SWOARD UPZ EC 12

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Tuesday 9 January 2018, 20:57

About the picture : at this point of the turn, the legs should be extended. The maximum leg extension is reached between the 3rd and 4th quarter of the turn.

About the boots : your boots are quite soft. The board is a little bit hard but it's not critical. Last week, a friend that weight 67 kg tried my 168H without problem.
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

5_against_1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 5_against_1 » Tuesday 9 January 2018, 22:13

Thanks for all the input! The video posted by capykiller really shows my weakness (rotation). I think I need to practice the rotational carves more. As mentioned, he's almost doing layed turns with just proper rotation. I'll work on that first and try to get pictures of myself.

Thanks,

tali

Post by tali » Saturday 20 January 2018, 4:29

Is this event far from where you are?
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13162

Also, these videos might be helpful:

at 1:23

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Saturday 3 March 2018, 23:45

Just turn your head into the inner circle (there stands a crate of beer :D )where you want to go, your shoulders and hips will follow.