An introduction to Northwave hardboots

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

An introduction to Northwave hardboots

Post by WinterGold » Sunday 1 May 2016, 15:52

I know that there are a lot of "experts" here on this forum on Northwave hardboots.
Still I find it interesting how little information there is available about those boots.

And it is funny how people speculate about why they are so glorified.
There was even a rumor of an 850 model, just because of a typing mistake. And guys started looking for those ;-)!

Here is a short introduction to the world of Northwave hardboots.
Every model is described in there.

I hope you guys like it!
If you have any questions, don´t hesitate to post them here.

And leave some comments! :-)

http://tomasio.at/temp/NorthwaveIntroductionV1.0.pdf

Stay on the edge,
WinterGold

danger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: An introduction to Northwave hardboots

Post by danger » Sunday 1 May 2016, 16:10

Hi Gerald,
great article.
Thank you for that great work and first of all, thank you for sharing. Very very interesting!
Regards Frank
Das Bessere ist des Guten Feind...

stelladj
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by stelladj » Sunday 1 May 2016, 18:45

hello gerald
I feel there is everything! :D
interesting things like that animate the forum . 8) :bravo:

silvano
Swoard Pro 168M 00220 - f2 race titanium M - tutte le Pantofole Northwave.950 .900 .350, Nex. Xan.

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Monday 2 May 2016, 10:54

Congratulations, Gerald ! :clap3:
Excellent article. You even managed to learn me a few things about Northwave history which I didn't know.
Your page 2 (about "What is special about the Northwave hardboots, especially the Point series (1997 to 1999)?") is clear and detailed. :bravo:

The Italian engeneers who designed these boots deserve all our respect. It's a pity the molds where destroyed.

There was a rumour about Canadians who wanted the reproduce these boots. Any news? :think:

Patrice Fivat

tommaso2k
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tommaso2k » Monday 2 May 2016, 12:14

Hi Gerald,
Indeed a Great article and it Must habe ben a Lot of effort to put All These facts together,
I Would just like to mention a small fact where i dont agree with you: you Wrote that the .900 and .950 has almost the Same stiffness which i dont agree with and Could bei misleading to People Who Dont know those Boots. The 900 has a very soft Plastic Shell and Hence is preferred by the EC People. Instead the 950 Model has a very stiff Plastic and is used by many Racers still due to their stiffness and Spring System. As i owned Both Boots i know it pretty well :D
Hope this remark Helps.

Regards Thomas
Brand doesn´t matter, the spirit does!

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Monday 2 May 2016, 17:32

Frank, :mrgreen: :bravo:

Silvano :bravo: Thank you!

Patrice, thank you for the kind words! I contacted the Canadians and I got no answer. The project is either off the table or on ice. There are already new rumors of a new Northwave production from a different country, but I don´t want to spread it. Let´s keep to the facts!

Thomas, you are right, I shouldn´t have put it in! But not because I am wrong, but because perception is very individual. All the pictures on page 7 are from my private collection. So I also own all the models. The flex is mainly controlled by the spring system. I don´t feel that there is a big difference in shell stiffness. I know a racer who used the .900 for qualifying and the .950 for the finals. He says that he doesn´t care. Alex Bergmann used the .900 on the World Cup level. But I don´t want to argue this point! Some riders feel a bigger difference. Others don´t. It seems to be very personal. And remember - even between one .950 and another .950 there are differences in plastic stiffness sometimes! Not to mention the extra stiff XX versions!

danger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by danger » Monday 2 May 2016, 20:08

Hi Tom,
there are different degrees of stiffness at the 950shell. I personally tried 3 (!!!!!) different yellow 950's. They all have special marks. The stiffest one was the XX version. This one is for Worldcup Rider... This is Stiff like hell. But it never was for sale in the regular Shops .
We tried a normal 900's Version and a softer 950's Version. If you take the same spring (thats important) they feel completely same.
So - you are right, because with the regular tongue and the regular spring, the 900 is softer than a 950. And the Shell? It depends to... :-)
Das Bessere ist des Guten Feind...

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Post by nils » Tuesday 3 May 2016, 8:15

Great article!

After the creation of Swoard in 2002, I contacted the factory, following different people names and phone they gave me, until I talked to a production guy that told me they sold the molds for aluminium recycling because it took up too much space mostly and someone in an office decided harboots were not making enough money anyway..I think they got rid of the molds in 99 or 2000 because in 2003 when I called, they could not find any paper: I should have called accountant offices instead to get better info..
As for reproducing molds, Arnaud will give us a few hints of the cost of aluminium molds: expect something in the 250.000 euros range for a serie of molds!

I was lucky to get two pair of .900 in the early days when they were still 50€ new....my first pair is still in use, so I assume I'll be able to not have to look for another brand before I am in retirement ages :): they are strongly build despite a quite cheap " look and feel".

Nils

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Wednesday 4 May 2016, 9:24

Danger, great knowledge from THE Northwave expert! :mrgreen:

Nils, good info! Back then an engineer from Burton told me that he was only weeks away from saving the molds. It is such a tragic story!!!
But it is very reassuring that you are still on your first pair of .900!!! So maybe we will all reach retirement age in our boots! :wink:

The Blitz
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Blitz » Saturday 14 May 2016, 10:39

What a great article WinterGold :pray2:
WinterGold wrote:And remember - even between one .950 and another .950 there are differences in plastic stiffness sometimes! Not to mention the extra stiff XX versions!
You're right, some years ago Mathieu Bozzetto write me the same thing. He used a xx-stiff version who not sold.

Also note, there was some .350 version with spring system in standard :wink:

 - 168XH Pro - Custom Dual 168H - Swallow Undertakeur 185

-- Tignes 19 au 25 mars --

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Saturday 14 May 2016, 12:06

The Blitz - Thank you!

Wow, your collecton is great. The .950 from the last production year looks so nice!!!

Which is your favorite model for riding? Do you ride all models?

Zemely
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Zemely » Saturday 14 May 2016, 16:35

Riders: 70 kg /180 sm

Flex of UPZ RC-10, but RCR cuff and super stiff tonque:

Flex of Raichle AF600, but cuff Indy Salt Lake Sity and AF600 tonque:

Flex of Northwave Nexus:

Flex of Northwave Point350:
https://www.youtube.com/user/DonAntonioSPB
BRGDS, Anton

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Saturday 14 May 2016, 19:52

Zemely, I have already seen your videos before! Very informative!

Did you actually ride all those boots? What is your favorite one? Why?

Zemely
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Zemely » Sunday 15 May 2016, 9:20

WinterGold wrote:Did you actually ride all those boots? What is your favorite one? Why?
My favourite is Raichle AF-series (but they manufactured only 1999-2000) - Raichle AF700 or better Raichle AF600 with super stiff cuff. Because it is boots full wide shell (form), and with good constriction tongue (All Deeluxe other tongue and significantly worse than keep hell, to try with the one liner).
UPZ - worst of all boots: narrow Shell, crazy soft in all direction and especially in the side, large structural problems with plastic - shoddy consumer goods...
Northwave don't ride, but it's the widest shell in the world - very interesting to try. But a very high price for trial...

I am in the first and second turn to choose the boots anatomy and size (it's my comfort), then stiffness...
All good hardboots made before 2004... Now manufactured only copy-past Deeluxe and UPZ... no choose(((
It is unfortunate that the prospective manufacturers (Burton, Northwave, Raichle) ceased operations, some just a few years from the beginning of the work ...
BRGDS, Anton

Zemely
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Zemely » Sunday 15 May 2016, 9:24

WinterGold wrote:Zemely, I have already seen your videos before! Very informative!

1.10-1.20 :think:
BRGDS, Anton