Oppdal CarvingCamp 2012

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Oppdal CarvingCamp 2012

Post by keepTheSport » Tuesday 28 February 2012, 23:34

Pokkis, yes a good picture of slope from bottom up, not so scary looking :lol: Nice video too. Everyone is doing so well on their turns :clap3:

I won't be able to make any meets this year, I have left things too late :cry: On the upside I can plan early for next year. At least I can look forward to seeing the Oppdal video :D
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

Raiden
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Raiden » Wednesday 29 February 2012, 0:40

I really wanna go there, but since I'm the only carver around here, I'm flyin' solo.
Does anyone have an opening in one of the cabins?
Driving from Trysil, so I have an extra seat and room for luggage/boards up and down as well.
Know this is a bit late, but I've had some trouble getting off at work.
Coiler NSR custom
Alpinepunk Afterburner

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Wednesday 29 February 2012, 10:36

Einar,
As you probably know, Oppdals "problem" is not overbooking and crowded slopes, rather the opposite. Therefore, you might consider this offer from Hotel NOR:
http://www.oppdalbooking.no/Index.aspx? ... uage=nb-NO
NOR is in walking distance from the Hovden skilift, and with a car it is not far from Vangslia either, 10 minutes or so. If there still are available rooms in NOR, you might have a stay costing not much above the lift ticket. I would recommend to check it out.

To KeepTheSport: Norway from middle of February, after the sun has come higher on the sky till beginning or middle of April is highly recommended. Just do not choose the most popular destinations as Trysil, Hemsedal, Hafjell or Kvitfjell. They might be too crowded for carving/EC, but there are other places with quite few people. Among them Oppdal is the best in my opinion. It might be little awkward to get there, that is the reason for the empty slopes. Oppdal can also offer good off-piste and freeride conditions for soft-boots/board, or skis.
harald

redhead
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redhead » Wednesday 29 February 2012, 11:32

I see that Sletvold is kind of in the middle of Hovden and Stølen. Then again mainly everyone will be in Vangslia right? Or we riding everywhere?
Harald r u goin' to Oppdal?
SG Full Race Titan 163 (2013), SG Full Race Pro Team 175 (2014), UPZ RC10, TD3 SW

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Wednesday 29 February 2012, 13:42

harald wrote:It might be little awkward to get there, that is the reason for the empty slopes.
I did like that road to Oslo which is 1km above sea level. You can get special feelings when you drive early morning with heavy snowing and wind of 11 m/s in January :-))
i`m learning

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Wednesday 29 February 2012, 16:04

redhead wrote:I see that Sletvold is kind of in the middle of Hovden and Stølen. Then again mainly everyone will be in Vangslia right? Or we riding everywhere?
Harald r u goin' to Oppdal?
In my opininion Sletvold is in the middle of nowhere. The lift there is seldom running, so you need a car. Therefore, I would not recommend staying there. I would think that Vangslia will be the basis for the action, but we will be riding in other slopes (Ådalen, Stølen, Hovden) dependent on the conditions.
Yes, I will be there from Sunday till Friday noon, in Vangslia Fjelltun.
starikashka wrote:
harald wrote:It might be little awkward to get there, that is the reason for the empty slopes.
I did like that road to Oslo which is 1km above sea level. You can get special feelings when you drive early morning with heavy snowing and wind of 11 m/s in January :-))
Yes, on a couple of occasions, even in March, I have had some nerve breaking experiences crossing the Dovre mountain in heavy winds, snowfalls and completely white out. One year, returning from the Norwegian alpine master championship, we were the last car over the mountain before the road was closed. I prefer sunshine, enjoying the beautiful view of the Dovre mountains instead.
harald

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Wednesday 29 February 2012, 18:48

I thought i'm only crazy ;-))) looks that i have a good company :-)
i`m learning

redhead
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redhead » Wednesday 29 February 2012, 19:02

harald wrote: In my opininion Sletvold is in the middle of nowhere. The lift there is seldom running, so you need a car. Therefore, I would not recommend staying there.
Too late. It's my first trip outside the Buskerud, so... it's gonna be fun, even in the middle of nowhere :badgrin:
harald wrote: Among them Oppdal is the best in my opinion. It might be little awkward to get there, that is the reason for the empty slopes.
Awkward? Meaning...
SG Full Race Titan 163 (2013), SG Full Race Pro Team 175 (2014), UPZ RC10, TD3 SW

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Wednesday 29 February 2012, 19:51

harald wrote:Norway from middle of February, after the sun has come higher on the sky till beginning or middle of April is highly recommended. Just do not choose the most popular destinations as Trysil, Hemsedal, Hafjell or Kvitfjell. They might be too crowded for carving/EC, but there are other places with quite few people. Among them Oppdal is the best in my opinion. It might be little awkward to get there, that is the reason for the empty slopes. Oppdal can also offer good off-piste and freeride conditions for soft-boots/board, or skis.
Very informative and sounds perfect conditions - thanks. I have rarely been abroad, so all this information helps someone like me - locals' tips, can't beat it :D

Seems like I now have 3 holidays to plan for next year 8O
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Thursday 1 March 2012, 10:50

readhead wrote:Awkward? Meaning...
Meaning a long and difficult travel, far away from South Eastern part of Norway where most people live. We, that live in the Oslo-region (including Kongsberg) are spoiled with a lot of slopes and resorts from 10 minutes to 3 hours drive. To Oppdal it takes abt 6 hours from Oslo by car.
Of course you can get to Oppdal by train, but it is very convenient with a car once arrived in Oppdal, due to the location of the ski lifts. Foreign visitors can go by their own car, usually a very long trip (ask the Fins and Russians), by plane to Oslo Airport Gardermoen or Trondheim and then by train or rental car (very expensive in Norway). The long distance scares many away from coming and that is one reason for the campaigns with NOK 1 per night (NOR Hotel) if you buy a lift ticket. However, once you have managed to go to Oppdal you are rewarded with almost empty slopes most of the season and a variety of on and off-piste options.
By the way, Sletvold Hotel looks very nice, so do not worry and with a car it is no problems going to Vangslia, Hovden or Stølen. See you there.
harald

redhead
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redhead » Thursday 1 March 2012, 11:19

I though the road itself is difficult. That there's a lot dangerous turns or something like Trollstigen.
But if you meant the distance only, that's ok. I took trip to Poland on Christmas, so i don't mind couple of hundreds kms :)

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Thursday 1 March 2012, 17:18

redhead wrote:I though the road itself is difficult. That there's a lot dangerous turns or something like Trollstigen.
But if you meant the distance only, that's ok. I took trip to Poland on Christmas, so i don't mind couple of hundreds kms :)
I would not call that road difficult. It does not have much difficult turns, steep ascents/descents.

The problems i faced was about bad weather conditions and few snow and ice deposits on road surface. Distance is not a problem.
i`m learning

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Friday 2 March 2012, 14:28

We have one full cabin available if some one needs it, but be fast otherwise we cancel it soon.

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Saturday 3 March 2012, 15:53

I agree that distance is not a problem in itself, but compared to the distance to many good resorts in South/Eastern Norway, many will find Oppdal too far away. As Starikaska wrote, weather can be a challenge, but it is possible to avoid Dovre by going route 3 instead.
harald

micha0677
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by micha0677 » Thursday 8 March 2012, 15:59

Looking forward to the Carving Camp. I was yesterday in Oppdal and the the carving conditions were pretty good and so was the weather. Free-riding on the other hand was not possible.

Don't worry for the road conditions, from Trondheim to Oppdal it was free, meaning no ice or snow on the road and therefore good contact to the asphalt...

See you
Michael