Different Styles

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

QuattroAnte
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Different Styles

Post by QuattroAnte » Wednesday 16 November 2011, 0:08

An extremecarver isn't interested to get to the end of the slope as fast as possible. His dream is that slope never ends :lol:
Sempre e comunque pupillo di EMI

Swoard 168H
Factory Prime 7.3 200s "Radetzky"
Factory Prime 7.8 200s "Eisenhower"
Northwave .350 modded & head stratos + accs

pietrob
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pietrob » Wednesday 16 November 2011, 13:30

and enjoi a lot! (roosevelt said)
pietro

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Wednesday 16 November 2011, 13:34

QuattroAnte wrote:An extremecarver isn't interested to get to the end of the slope as fast as possible. His dream is that slope never ends :lol:
Hmm... not sure about that cause typical EC-carver i have seen makes 3-5 turns and then parks side of track to watch others or take rest. So they dont need very long slope. :evil2:
But agree that they dont come down fast as possible. :wink:

QuattroAnte
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QuattroAnte » Wednesday 16 November 2011, 13:59

pokkis wrote:
QuattroAnte wrote:An extremecarver isn't interested to get to the end of the slope as fast as possible. His dream is that slope never ends :lol:
Hmm... not sure about that cause typical EC-carver i have seen makes 3-5 turns and then parks side of track to watch others or take rest. So they dont need very long slope. :evil2:
But agree that they dont come down fast as possible. :wink:
we stop every 5 turns only when we are in group. and usually because very steep slopes are too short. It was just a joke however :D
Sempre e comunque pupillo di EMI

Swoard 168H
Factory Prime 7.3 200s "Radetzky"
Factory Prime 7.8 200s "Eisenhower"
Northwave .350 modded & head stratos + accs

yomama
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by yomama » Thursday 17 November 2011, 20:44

Interesting and positive discussions.

Need to differentiate between style and technique.

Style is a personal expression with respect to our personal feels, body types,
personal views of what beauty is. Obviously Jacques has a different style from Patrice even though they have the same technique.

That said, style is heavily based on technique, talent and/or time on the snow.
I love J&P style but my technique (push/pull and pure EC) is a few steps below theirs resulting in non-fluid style when the conditions become icy. :? :dogeyes:

My personal views on push/EC is printed on alpinecarving.com as Scott is a fellow Tahoe rider and I have shared and work with him on the editing of the push/pull EC technique. Would like to add here that Rob Crobar :bravo: :pray2: :pray: was the major contributor to the editing as well.

I started hardbooting back in 1998 in icy Quebec and was fortunate to start with the “correct” technique right from the start and rode with very impressive (even to date) riders. The technique taught was full rotation but crouched legs in the turns and extend in the transitions.

Switching to push/pull was a challenge yet a natural next step.
The adoption of push/pull technique was the closest in feels with respect my other favorite board sports namely windsurfing waves and skateboarding parks.

Over the years, there is one thing that Patrice taught me and it really sticks in my head: if you have your hands away from your body, you are looking for balance because your technique is flawed. So when I see riders with hands spread out like airplane wings, I just wonder about the purposes behind that technique. :wall: :huh: :think:

That said, I fully understand and admire racers looking for balance when racing down between gates in difficult icy slopes. :clap: :clap2: :clap3: :bravo:

With respect to push/pull EC style (providing proper technique), I personally know a few soft boot snowboarders who knew all about hardboot but converted only when they see the beauty and dynamic of push/pull technique with the added bonus of pure EC on steep slopes.

2 cents. :silly:

Yomama
:chinese:

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Saturday 19 November 2011, 10:40

So many good comments :bravo: ... brilliant!

Stories like the one from Frunobulax show that different techniques or styles are not only nice to have around, but sometimes also necessary. There are always people for whom certain techniques don´t work or at least not as they want to. There could be many reasons for this (anatomical, psychological, personal preferences, wrong people (teachers), bad luck, ... who knows?). But if you persevere, you will find your way (just like in his case :D ).

yomama, you are right to differentiate between style and technique. I didn´t have such a strict distinction in my mind and maybe certain techniques have more in common than people think :wink: . So one might talk about a different style, while others already talk about a different technique ...

Everybody wishes for the endless slope - especially if it is filled up to the chest with powder 8) !

leeho730
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by leeho730 » Saturday 19 November 2011, 11:26

Or perfectly corduroy... :wink: Oh yeah....
Attachments
RemarksCorduroy_jpg_626x626_q85.jpg
At The Remarkables, NZ
RemarksCorduroy_jpg_626x626_q85.jpg (54.34 KiB) Viewed 12755 times
Swoard 168M&S / Dual 158
TD3SW /F2 / Ibex
Stratos / RC10 / T700

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Saturday 19 November 2011, 12:11

Oh yeah!!! :D

Forgot about that ... :mrgreen: ... AMAZING pic!

zbird
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by zbird » Tuesday 22 November 2011, 0:55

My attraction to EC came out of surfing waves most of my life and seeing people in the late 80's in hardboots trying to lay out turns but not connecting one side to the other. EC style was the first I'd seen connect both sides to laid out turns. For me, snowboarding is all about having as much fun as possible, and I think we all understand that what is fun to one person is not to another. I can barely surf anymore as Lyme disease has affected my shoulder joints and I can no longer paddle very well. I am so glad that hardboot snowboarding is easier on the body, the knees!, more so than softboots or especially skiing. But I digress. About having fun, I was attracted to surfing due to not only the thrill of catching a wave, making the sometimes vertical drop down the face of the wave, the tubes, but especially the "G force", the increased gravity when one cranks a big bottom turn after racing down the face of a big wave or a cutback(a 180 degree turn back into the power of the wave). This is also SO present in hardbooting and as my friend, Steve Ambiel of Murren, Switzerland who introduced me to hardbooting in 1985 said, "It is like surfing, but with endless bottom turns, one after another!" In fact, one of the coolest feelings, I think, is with speed, you have enough momentum that when carving a turn on higher angle slopes, you can get somewhat upside down--head down slope, feet and snowboard above. I think that is a blast, lots of fun. And done the right way, it is elegant. And that is the potential I see with EC style(and easier on the body than the other styles!)

My only criticism--and only my opinion--is I really like the elegance of the backside turn with one arm out, but I don't really like the frontside turn with both arms and the chest on the snow. To me it looks "sprawling", inelegant. I am trying to figure out how to do one arm and the side of the body frontside on the snow, but the physics sure are different. And as some of you saw me last year at Peyragude, I am a complete EC beginner!

Anyway, here is to the coming season and I hope everyone is getting their legs in shape. I hope to make it back to France or Italy this season for a few weeks. Excuse my California surfer lingo English. Carve on and keep the stoke!! :clap2:

Jeff

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Tuesday 22 November 2011, 9:32

Yomaha and zbird sum this discussion up. (1) style and technique are different things. We need different techniques for different snow conditions and purposes executed with our personal styles and (2) it is all about having fun.
harald

Zanci
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Zanci » Saturday 26 November 2011, 20:52

I just love EC...
But real and stylish EC is only possible when there are good conditions on the slope.
When you go on a really icy slope, you will have no change getting that elegance of EC.
When that happens, you just need to switch the technique (race), which is not that attractive, but you have much more control ...
However, the race technique is much much much much harder to master than EC :wink

My 50 cents...

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Saturday 26 November 2011, 23:19

Zanci wrote:But real and stylish EC is only possible when there are good conditions on the slope.
Do not agree. EC style works also on icy slopes and give really a great grip. Works also fine in powder and helps a lot to lighten the board at the beginning of the turn.
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

mihi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mihi » Saturday 26 November 2011, 23:47

Arnaud wrote: Do not agree. EC style works also on icy slopes and give really a great grip. Works also fine in powder and helps a lot to lighten the board at the beginning of the turn.
Hahaha, I would like to see that on our local hills! Come on EC guys, don't be so narrow minded!

Long live alpine snowboarding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Sunday 27 November 2011, 9:10

It always happens in Russia - just before season opening the number of wideminded messages to narrowminded any-style-carvers dramatically increases. First opened ski resorts rapidly decreasing those conversations :-)

I hope snow will come soon on your local hills, mihi :-) try to understand what those guys are talking about. Maybe you do not see somethig magic :-)
i`m learning