Negative Swoard review (not by me!)

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

Silber

Post by Silber » Friday 1 October 2004, 12:31

I don't care about the review and all of you shouldn't either. Sure, you can have a different opinion on how well the board behaves at 300 mph and that our friendly reviewer used the wrong size, but this is definitely not the issue. Swoard is a riding philosophy, a community of friends from all over the world with a common passion that is not focused on racing but on the emotions from the ride. The board is just beautiful and I believe that even if it might show some carachteristics that somebody might consider as flaws these will just contribute to the appeal of its ride (I am still waiting to try my new 175...).

Long Live EC!
Francesco Swoard (1G175M 3G175M020 e 168H054),Wingergun205,Shaman193,TTubeS1/174GS,F2 (RS183'08 e'06/Lancelot/Slbpfl),Virus (Hurric./Dragon),Pogo (Hardc./Imp.),Burton (FP/Speed/PJ/CustomX),WildDuckFantasy, Duret168, OxygenProton168GS

roger
Rank 4
Rank 4

Making a review after 4 runs on unsuitable gear?

Post by roger » Friday 1 October 2004, 22:40

Cold fusion possible? Anyone? :roll: :roll: :roll: ;-)

C'mon. Do anyone of you EC fans take such a review seriously? Rilliet, Nils and Fivat, you perform footage and movies of the snowboarding style you advocate. That's enough for me. Drivel, on the other hand, are not! :evil:

Regards

Roger
That in the soul which is called the mind is, before it thinks, not actually any real thing.

Quiver: -04 F2 Eliminator Ltd 167 (TD2's) and a -05 F2 Speedster 183 (TD2's)

Malecky
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Malecky » Tuesday 5 October 2004, 10:52

Hi!

I have not tested my 175H yet since glaciers are far away and mostly have bad conditions.

I read a lot of reviews in different forums about the Swoard before I startet to nag nils for one :roll: I didnt benefit much from the reviews becouse they are mostly partial and short.

I got myself a Swoard becouse if I had the tools an knowledge to build a board the Swoard would be it! The design is flawless in my eyes and I hope it rides that way too :D

Will post a review arround new year after I ride it for a long long period of time.

audacium
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by audacium » Thursday 7 October 2004, 1:44

Well, the points of criticism of the review have been laid out.

However I do not think it is fair to say that one should not take this review seriously.

If someone - like Bordy - sees room for improvement it should be taken as a suggestion and constructive criticism first. Then it should be checked whether it was maybe an error, a misunderstanding, wrong board size or whatever. If after having sorted out these questions there still remain issues - the better. Rome has not been built in one day.

However, I agree that this in my eyes overall negative review - who does like a board that does not have edge grip at high speed? - is based on bad preparation and choosing wrong board size.

Bordy - maybe you have not downloaded the videos from this site. I do not know what speed you are thinking of, but at least to me it always seemed Patrice and Jacques are going down the slope quite fast :P .- having seen the videos as well as both of them live.
Maybe you can provide a video of extremecarving at way higher speeds than Jacques and Patrice? I would be curious what this is.

But again - a review should be seen as a chance and not as offending. Don't be aggressive, please.

Though, even if Swoard is not in the style of major board manufacturers (or because of this?) - I love my Swoard!

Take care, Eduard.
--
Swoard 175M 0048

yoyo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yoyo » Thursday 7 October 2004, 4:30

HELLO SIR,
IS 175H THE FASTEST SWOARD YOU SALE?
HOW FAST CAN YO GO WITH THE SWAORD?
HOW MUCH FOR THE BOARD AND THE SHIPPING?
STHANX AND PEACE
YOYO

gradyh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gradyh » Thursday 7 October 2004, 4:49

After reading all the EC and BOL posts about Bordy's review, I thought I'd add my $.02.
First, I don't think Bordy will ever like the Swoard as much as most who own one, regardless of board size or conditions or time on the board. Why? Because it's just not his cup of tea. For what ever reason it didn't work for what he was trying to do with it. If one board worked for everyone then there only be one board company and one board model. Everyone has a "magic model" board that they love. For Bordy the Swoard wasn't it.
Second, I think Bordy's review was honest, but unfair. Not unfair to the board, but unfair to the review. There are 2 ways to write a review. One style is to write on behaf of one's personal feelings. Example("I like the way the Porshe feels better than the Ferrari") The other is for the consumer. Example("in every run the Ferrari ran faster 1/4 mile times than the Porshe") Bordy's review integrated both of these styles wich has fueled this disscusion.
Bottom line, if someone is going to write a review, especially coming from such experiance, than it should either be written in a personal style, or a "Consumer Reports" style.
To Bordy: Keep writing those reviews. Any opinion is better than no opinon :D
Swoard175M/MistralSonic167/WildDuckKnifer161

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

reply to yoyo

Post by nils » Thursday 7 October 2004, 8:17

yoyo,
its not about speed its about having fun, so there is no faster board!
All other infos are on the website and on the forum... Please note that we are currently out of production, and except from a few boards (listing on the forum) all is either sold, or démo (not for sale), or kept for warranty issues!

Nils

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Oh ohhh....

Post by skywalker » Thursday 7 October 2004, 9:12

Hi Nils,

:naughty:
its not about speed its about having fun
I guess I've been reading this before... hmmm.... wasn't this in my signature??? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Thursday 7 October 2004, 14:51

Guys,

Bordy's review, added to a few experiences I made last season, lead me to the following reflexion: we are facing two totaly different styles: race (or bomber) style and EC style. There mechanical fonctionnings are so different (even in opposite) that they need totaly different equipment.

The goal of race style (as you can see in this video: http://www.stoked.at/clips/sigi_grabner.mpg) is to win GS races in any snow condition. My own (short) racing experience shows me that one condition to keep the edge on icy and shaking race track is to put the maximum possible pressure on the edge during the turn. Race riders are jumping on there board , squeezing there equipment the most they can. This is why they need stiff narrow board and stiff boots. I tried this style last season but had the feeling that my board was too wide and too soft. My boots seemed too soft too.

The goal of EC style is to lay out turns of course, but also to provide a cool liberty feeling and a maximum of fun. My own sensitivity leads me to a style that is between agressive hardbooting and the smooth freestyle you can see in the half-pipe. Of course, the equipment follows the same way: it is neither totaly stiff, nor totaly hard.

The way we ride is in opposition as race style: instead of providing huge forces on the edge, we trie to limit them. This is the reason of the "push-pull" turn. This is why we start our turns when the board is perpendicular to the slope.

The Swoard is optimized to our style. It is not recommended to race style (but I'm not sure it could'nt be efficient in a race with the proper technique...).

Conclusion:
- Narrow race boards and stiff equipment are dedicated to racing with race technique and are not adapted to EC style.
- The Swoard and softer hardboots boots and bindings are dedicated to EC style and does not work correctly with race style.

Hope you will have a great winter whatever the style you ride. :D

Jacques

audacium
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by audacium » Thursday 7 October 2004, 16:47

Thanks for this very clarifying response, Jacques! I knew there were differences in style, but why exactly they are so different...it is clear now.

Eduard.
--
Swoard 175M 0048

yoyo
Rank 0
Rank 0

ONE SWOARD FOR ME

Post by yoyo » Friday 8 October 2004, 0:46

SIR NIL
I AM 11 YEARS OLD AND I STARTED SNOWBOARD AT 3.
WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOUR FASTEST BOARD?
WHEN WILL YOU MAKE ME A BOARD LIKE IN THE MOVIE?
HOW MUCH FOR ONE FAST BOARD + SHIPPING?
I HAVE BIRTHDAY MONEY READY FOR YOU.
DO YOU HAVE A MOVIE OF YOU IN THE PARK JUMPING?
YOYO

yoyo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yoyo » Friday 8 October 2004, 0:48

STHANX AND PEACE
YOYO

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

lol

Post by nils » Friday 8 October 2004, 1:01

yoyo ;)
Please stop that or i'll have to moderate you!
Keep your b'day money for when we have boards ready!
and stop using the CAPS !

N.

PS: funny to see that this IP belongs to jscott and fab.planche the infamous ;) and now winter is coming, so he wakes up !
Jscott do you have an explaination about the IP?

yoyo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yoyo » Friday 8 October 2004, 6:26

sir nil
sthanx for accepting to sell me a fast board when you have it ready. can you tell the day? you will be happy when you see me on it at your snowparty.
sorry for the cap lock
yoyo
sthanx and peace.

SITO
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SITO » Friday 8 October 2004, 13:50

ufff!! Big child!!! 11 years old only ,and looking for a swoard 175H :liar:

What do you eat?? :think:

Also I want to eat this for grow a little more!! :twisted: :twisted:

Sito
Ride hard;100% fun