Negative Swoard review (not by me!)

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Friday 8 October 2004, 22:57

J wrote :
The Swoard is optimized to our style. It is not recommended to race style (but I'm not sure it could'nt be efficient in a race with the proper technique...).
I'm sure, if i ever learn to use Swoard, i will run some races with that too.
Will let you know how it goes, but only if i learn to ride width board like that :lol:
During this winter either report of race will follow or you will se for sale add 8)

roger
Rank 4
Rank 4

Maybe the "Review" should have been a "Previe

Post by roger » Friday 8 October 2004, 23:15

In the world of science there is a strong notion called "Proof" in where a scientist has to show correlation between data, usually collected during an experiment, and a model of some phenomenon.

For "Bordy" to perform a serious review, I'd like to see pictures, movies and an in depth discussion of the theory and philosophy behind extremecarving - proof that he grasp the fundamentals of such principles.

Having an opinion about a phenomenon such as extremecarving requires an understanding regarding the principles of the phenomenon, not just expressing biased, skewed and hastily formed opinions from a few tests runs with unsuitable equipment. Having an opinion, as "Bordy" expressed in his "review", is misleading people who are reading such articles. Bordy; there is a place for drivel, biased and skewed opinions - forums and posts such as this. ;-)
That in the soul which is called the mind is, before it thinks, not actually any real thing.

Quiver: -04 F2 Eliminator Ltd 167 (TD2's) and a -05 F2 Speedster 183 (TD2's)

D-Sub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by D-Sub » Saturday 9 October 2004, 0:24

you guys are hilarious. Completely dismissing bordy's abilities. He's been riding longer than most of us, and Im sure has more skill than most of us as well.

to use words like "drivel"...get over it! Its as if he attacked you personally or something

the people who should be most offended, if there were offense to be taken, would be the makers of SWOARD, and they have been nothing but professional about all this, unlike quite a few of you.

again...get over it and stop acting like someone called your mom fat!

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Agreed but..

Post by nils » Saturday 9 October 2004, 8:13

D-Sub, please also pay attention to the fact that most of the people using our forum are not english speaking, and we all loose subtle variations of languages when writing in another language.... It means maybe the chosen words are sometimes unnacurate or hostile when the wished meaning was maybe more quiet and respecfull... Of course sometimes people react more violently too, but its a free speach place too, and we do think people's reaction show that the passion is there! ( thus alpine boarding growing back)

BR
Nils

roger
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by roger » Saturday 9 October 2004, 9:41

D-Sub wrote:you guys are hilarious. Completely dismissing bordy's abilities. He's been riding longer than most of us, and Im sure has more skill than most of us as well.
Speaking for myself; I have been a hard booter since -92. Regarding my abilities as a snowboarder; I suppose I am biased. :-)
D-Sub wrote: to use words like "drivel"...get over it! Its as if he attacked you personally or something
Ah, maybe I should express myself more in detail? Well, "Bordys" review of the Swoard Extremecarver lacks relevant content.
D-Sub wrote:the people who should be most offended, if there were offense to be taken, would be the makers of SWOARD, and they have been nothing but professional about all this, unlike quite a few of you.
I suppose they don't mix up an official standpoint with a personal opinion. Unlike others here, such as myself. ;-)
D-Sub wrote:again...get over it and stop acting like someone called your mom fat!
We are merely expressing concerns about "Bordys" ablilties as a reviewee of snowboarding principles and equipment differing from his.
That in the soul which is called the mind is, before it thinks, not actually any real thing.

D-Sub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Agreed but..

Post by D-Sub » Saturday 9 October 2004, 11:32

nils wrote:D-Sub, please also pay attention to the fact that most of the people using our forum are not english speaking, and we all loose subtle variations of languages when writing in another language.... It means maybe the chosen words are sometimes unnacurate or hostile when the wished meaning was maybe more quiet and respecfull...

I thought about that, and...I dont think thats the case in some situations here:) some people are just taking it too personally.
Of course sometimes people react more violently too, but its a free speach place too, and we do think people's reaction show that the passion is there! ( thus alpine boarding growing back)
yes, passion is there. thats a good thing, altho...if the passion is focused on separatism and "othering" then...not such a good thing, no?

D-Sub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by D-Sub » Saturday 9 October 2004, 11:39

D-Sub wrote:you guys are hilarious. Completely dismissing bordy's abilities. He's been riding longer than most of us, and Im sure has more skill than most of us as well.
roger wrote:Speaking for myself; I have been a hard booter since -92. Regarding my abilities as a snowboarder; I suppose I am biased. :-)
right on, roger! good to hear! I first rode a hard setup in '95...but still consider myself an amateur because to this very day I have _never_ spent a whole day on snow with an advanced carver. Spent two days riding with a girl from vermont when I was living in steamboat springs in '95, and rode with an aussie racer then, too, but...thats it. respect is due for your dedication. But the fact remains that Bordy has been riding equally as long, possibly longer, and has a long record on the racing circuit here in the states!

D-Sub wrote: to use words like "drivel"...get over it! Its as if he attacked you personally or something
roger wrote:Ah, maybe I should express myself more in detail? Well, "Bordys" review of the Swoard Extremecarver lacks relevant content.
no, it doesnt lack relevant content, at all! did you even read the review? He was very objective on many of the points he made. granted, some of them were far too subjective and those parts kinda lose their importance and weight in light of the fact that it is supposed to be a professional review.
D-Sub wrote:the people who should be most offended, if there were offense to be taken, would be the makers of SWOARD, and they have been nothing but professional about all this, unlike quite a few of you.
roger wrote:I suppose they don't mix up an official standpoint with a personal opinion. Unlike others here, such as myself. ;-)
heh. point.
D-Sub wrote:again...get over it and stop acting like someone called your mom fat!
roger wrote:We are merely expressing concerns about "Bordys" ablilties as a reviewee of snowboarding principles and equipment differing from his.
well, even though I dont know Bordy, my gut feeling tells me that he was fair and unbiased, altho, as has been pointed out, he may have been on the wrong board!

but...while this all seems polite now...some of the response truly were stated as if a personal attack had been levied, and that simply isnt the case!

D-Sub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by D-Sub » Saturday 9 October 2004, 11:46

man that is the LAST time I ever do that with all the quotes and stuff. way too much editing involved there!

roger
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by roger » Saturday 9 October 2004, 12:19

D-Sub wrote: (...) But the fact remains that Bordy has been riding equally as long, possibly longer, and has a long record on the racing circuit here in the states!
That's one of the points why I am concerned about the validity of his "review". For example: I suppose a hard core jibber would think a swallowtail suck in the park. ;-)
D-Sub wrote: (...) He was very objective on many of the points he made. granted, some of them were far too subjective and those parts kinda lose their importance and weight in light of the fact that it is supposed to be a professional review.
Indeed, and thus the review looses all of its credibility and consistency.
D-Sub wrote:well, even though I dont know Bordy, my gut feeling tells me that he was fair and unbiased, altho, as has been pointed out, he may have been on the wrong board!
I am sure Bordy is a nice person, besides, I am not expressing an opinion regarding his personal qualities. Only the "This is supposed to be an Extremecarver review" of his.

Now, the discussion, here in the Swoard/Extremecarving forum is related to our interests. It is not personal, it is a forum for people to share opinions and ideas in the field of our interest. D-Sub, I suppose you assume "Bordy" takes this personally, I am sure he does not and to be more specific, he could probably best defend his review himself. ;-)

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

MHO

Post by skywalker » Saturday 9 October 2004, 20:54

O.k., although I think there was a lot too much noise about it, I will try to point out, what I think about this review and what made me angry when I read it the first time and still does.

Nils wrote at bomberonline.com:
I personnaly think bordy's review was fair and nicely written
That's the point, I totally disagree with. Bordy told us, that it was the beginning of a series of several reviews, in fact until today there still is no other review of any snowboard. Obviously someone was trying to cause some traffic on his new page. Easiest way to achieve this was to test a board, that's exotic but popular on the US market. It worked. It was my fault, to criticise his style. His riding skills are obviously extraordinary and I want to apologize. But not with D-Sub of course ;)

What I wanted to point out was the intention of the review. And the more often I read his review, the more I think, it was his aim to write a bad review about the Swoard. Like roger already wrote: It's a little bit like riding a raceboard in the park and telling, it was lame. Of course it is. Of course a narrower board is easier to control, needs less effort and changes the edges faster. U don't need a Pro's review to know that. But the SWOARD is clearly indicated to be a board especielly made for EC-style turns.

I did some days of intensive testing of the SWOARD, Patrice can confirm ;). And I could compare this board directly to other boards of extraordinary quality. So I think, I know a little about the strengths and weaknesses of this board. Everyone can soo the oscillations of the SWOARDs nose on some turns. But I know, that this is no chattering and it doesn't cause instability. IMHO the reason is a snappy nose on a torsianally extremely stiff board, which tends to go through the turns tighter than the entira board. There also may be boards that feel smoother when you ride them, but the also feel less aggressive. And again: The EC-Ability of the SWAOD and also his carving abilities in general are great. Only my opinion.

It will be interesting to see, which reviews will follow on this page (and when). D-Sub is trying to make a Europe vs US topic out of this. I will say some short words about this at bomberonline.com. Here I only want to write, that I think, that maybe this topic rather was part of bordy's review than of the dicussion in this forum. Because he just ignored all the differences between his style and the style the SWOARD is made for. Again: only my personal thoughts.

sirdoofus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sirdoofus » Sunday 10 October 2004, 8:16

Hey All -- maybe a slightly different perspective here. I haven't spent much time on the forums lately (this is actually my first time on this forum, although I have spent a fair amount of time on the website itself) and happened to take a look at the Bordy's review right off the bat. Out of ignorance or whatever else, I had no idea that Swoard was the name of EC board in all of the videos, and in fact had no idea what it was Bordy was reviewing. So, for all I knew going into it he was reviewing something that might have been in any manufacturer's line.

I must say that his review intrigued me. I was really surprised when, following all the threads, I realized his commentary hit such a nerve with so many people. What stuck with me from that review were his first impressions, not the secondary 'negative' connections which seem to have tripped the collective radar.

The idea that he seemed to have stumbled upon an experience that was somehow reminiescent (sp?) of something fondly remembered from a past which had been slowly replaced by evolutionary, disciplinary and stylistic choices, really struck a chord with me. It sounded to me like he was really enjoying those first few minutes on that board, and the sensations he mentioned were right in line with what I strive to achieve while I am riding....pure enjoyment (I realize that means different things to everybody).....that smile that just shows up when you are riding, you know, the one you have abslutely no control over....you just can't get any better than that.

Maybe he pushed the board beyond its limits and maybe not, maybe he was on the wrong board and maybe not, maybe his style doesn't suit this board and maybe it does....who can say, and in the end that doesn't really matter (I do appreciate when people post reviews, it takes a lot of time and effort to do so), my point is this: I don't think the review was overall negative at all...in fact what I came away with after reading it was a desire to give one of these boards a try. Who knows, maybe I am the only whacko here, but its probably a good idea not to assume that everyone, or even anyone that reads this review is going to come away with a negative impression.

There is room for all opinioins here, and in fact I would argue that expression of differing perspectives is vital to the survival of the sport.

IMHO

Cheers, Mike

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Thnx Mike: great comment!

Post by nils » Sunday 10 October 2004, 10:15

I read the same review as you did!

And the description of his enjoying the first moments reminded me the first carved turn I made loong time ago too... or the thrill off the first take off/stand up on a surfboard!

I also like to see things positively!

Nils

vkrouverk
Rank 5
Rank 5

Jeebus!

Post by vkrouverk » Sunday 10 October 2004, 21:23

Come on, this review was not a scientific experiment, conducted by unqualified personnel and in unsuitable test conditions with only intent to prove, that Swoard is worth of nothing! It is test for riders to test their true belief in Swoard: those who are weak in belief and ready to accept other board, are put into pain and suffer now as warning to others :)
I checked my Swoard after reading this review and it's in the very same condition as it was last time, it ain't neither better nor worse after it. So my belief stays as firm as it was!
BTW, it snowed here!!!
Converting potential energy to kinetic..

D-Sub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: MHO

Post by D-Sub » Sunday 10 October 2004, 22:14

skywalker wrote:D-Sub is trying to make a Europe vs US topic out of this.
sorry, but wrong. simply not true. in fact, it was someone else who pointed out the difference between "your" style and "ours"

(those quotes imply facetiousness, mind you)

Eddie Risser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: MHO

Post by Eddie Risser » Monday 11 October 2004, 1:24

skywalker wrote:O.k., although I think there was a lot too much noise about it, I will try to point out, what I think about this review and what made me angry when I read it the first time and still does.

Nils wrote at bomberonline.com:
I personnaly think bordy's review was fair and nicely written
That's the point, I totally disagree with. Bordy told us, that it was the beginning of a series of several reviews, in fact until today there still is no other review of any snowboard. Obviously someone was trying to cause some traffic on his new page. Easiest way to achieve this was to test a board, that's exotic but popular on the US market. It worked.
Patience skywalker, patience. Bordy wrote his thoughts of the Swoard down because he had one chance to ride it. He has a review for Skwal comming next along with some for Donek, Madd, F2, and many more that are in the works right now. The man is busy and it takes some time to edit them and have the web monkey Mike put them up. Besides, the review had been up for some time and it was just that Jack wanted to see what would happen if more people saw the review.

Don't assume what you don't know. :wink:

eddie