My new Swoard Extremecarver !

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

caspercarver
Rank 4
Rank 4

My new Swoard Extremecarver !

Post by caspercarver » Monday 17 January 2011, 23:12

My first day out with my new Swoard Extremecarver 161cm. I am a man of few words, so all i can say is, i love this board!!! Thank You Swoard!
I apologize now for the dizzy feeling you may have watching this video, GoPro helmet cams are not my favorite way to film but i was by myself this day so it is all i have for now. I will try hard to get someone to video for a better perspective. Cheers!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Monday 17 January 2011, 23:20

Looking forward to the third person movies. Once again great skills. No laid down heelsides yet?
Fridgecarver

caspercarver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by caspercarver » Monday 17 January 2011, 23:40

Transistor Rhythm wrote:Looking forward to the third person movies. Once again great skills. No laid down heelsides yet?
thanks, maybe out terminology is different but right now i can only do backwards heelside on the snow. My toeside turns backwards on the snow just result in me sliding down the hill backwards into final faceplant. Hopefully i will figure it out before i break something :D

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Tuesday 18 January 2011, 11:13

No I meant forward laid down heelside carves. I can barely sideslip down an easy slope backwards myself without having the board catching the wrong edge :oops:, so I think it's pretty great what you already can do riding backwards.

(I'm not calling it fakie, I think with angles over 45 degrees you're just riding backwards ;) )
Fridgecarver

Frenki
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Frenki » Tuesday 18 January 2011, 12:49

lovely as always :D
Francesco - f2 gts 166 - phiokka 1 - deeluxe le mans - !!!VENDO TUTTO!!!

caspercarver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by caspercarver » Tuesday 18 January 2011, 17:07

Transistor Rhythm wrote:No I meant forward laid down heelside carves. I can barely sideslip down an easy slope backwards myself without having the board catching the wrong edge :oops:, so I think it's pretty great what you already can do riding backwards.

(I'm not calling it fakie, I think with angles over 45 degrees you're just riding backwards ;) )
In that case, i can do heelside turns laid out easily. I am actually much better at heelside turns. there are a few in the video. I also don't call it "fakie or switch" anymore. Here is a photo doing a heelside on my 168 Swoard Extremecarver. Cheers.
Attachments
heelside.jpg
heelside.jpg (90.47 KiB) Viewed 12180 times

Frenki
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Frenki » Tuesday 18 January 2011, 17:31

hi casper,
just one offtopic question: do you use some kind of spring system on your boots? i'm just curious :D
Francesco - f2 gts 166 - phiokka 1 - deeluxe le mans - !!!VENDO TUTTO!!!

caspercarver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by caspercarver » Tuesday 18 January 2011, 19:37

Frenki wrote:hi casper,
just one offtopic question: do you use some kind of spring system on your boots? i'm just curious :D
No spring system. I tried using Bomber BTS but didn't like the feel. I honestly don't understand what problem the spring systems are trying to solve. I love my Track 700s just the way they are. of course i wish i had the right size, apparently i bought one size to big and i have a bit of heel lift. someday when i have some extra money i will get the proper size. cheers.

yomama
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by yomama » Wednesday 19 January 2011, 17:53

Hi Casper,

I have off-topic questions for you.
1) How do you ride a square tail fakie without some doubts that the square tail may dig into the snow and send you over the handle bars in an awkward position?
2) If you happen to dig the tail, how do you fall so that you do not hurt yourself? This happened to my bro at ultra low speed and he almost broke his neck.
3) Thanks to your video, I can now do most of the switch moves you do except for the one where you jump/hop into fakie because of the fear described in (1). Also I do so on the Dual, not the Extremecarver.

So, can you help me overcome the square tail fakie riding fear?

Thanks!
:chinese: :bravo:

caspercarver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by caspercarver » Wednesday 19 January 2011, 19:42

yomama wrote:Hi Casper,

I have off-topic questions for you.
1) How do you ride a square tail fakie without some doubts that the square tail may dig into the snow and send you over the handle bars in an awkward position?
2) If you happen to dig the tail, how do you fall so that you do not hurt yourself? This happened to my bro at ultra low speed and he almost broke his neck.
3) Thanks to your video, I can now do most of the switch moves you do except for the one where you jump/hop into fakie because of the fear described in (1). Also I do so on the Dual, not the Extremecarver.

So, can you help me overcome the square tail fakie riding fear?

Thanks!
:chinese: :bravo:
I think the most important thing i can say is YES, you can get hurt doing this. I simply have not so far. I am providing a link to watch, if you watch it closely you can see that virtually on every transition i am leaning uphill. My "theory " is, it keeps the tail from digging in. I have dug the tail in only twice and both times i was going really slow on flat terrain and it HURTS! be careful!!!

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Wednesday 19 January 2011, 20:29

yomama - caspercarver asked me to join in a bit ... :wink:

1) When going backwards you also have to turn around the weight distribution. Nevertheless I never have as much weight on my front foot (my normal back foot) when going backwards than I have riding normal. So there is not as much pressure on the tail when riding backwards. Therefore it doesn´t dig in that easily.
Remember all the exercises and phases you went through when you learned snowboarding and try to relive them when going backwards.
I can´t even remember when I learned it (so long ago) and I have used loads of different boards, but I never had a serious injury.

And don´t be afraid - in inhibits you too much! Stop thinking and follow the flow :wink:

2) Falling - try to do the same thing you do when you normally fall - stay low, when falling backwards try to make a "round" back, use your whole arms (and not just your hands) to dampen the impact.
About your bro - crashing at slow speeds on fairly flat ground is often more painful than on steeper slopes where you just "roll down".

3) Sounds great! Learn the jumps when going rather slow and across the slope, jumping off the edge. When you feel comfortable, try to go faster and more down the fall line. Learning on the Dual is a great idea! And then just do the same motions on the Extremecarver. Despite the higher angles, you will be surprised how similar it feels :D ...

Keep it up :wink: !!!

yomama
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by yomama » Thursday 20 January 2011, 7:26

Caspercarver, WinterGold,

Many thanks for your fakie riding tips.

I also never experienced digging the tail with my Extremecarver but the twighlight zone music is playing in my head when I start to ride switch. No such problems with the Dual for sure.

If you were to do linked C-carve turns, how can you initiate a turn if you stay on back (ex-front) foot?

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Thursday 20 January 2011, 17:54

Be careful, you don´t stay on the back foot. I just meant that because of the new body position there is normally less pressure on the new front foot. Also when carving you don´t have to pressure the front foot as much as when you e.g. initiate a drift turn, especially not when the slopes aren´t too steep.

You explained it very well - it is mainly in your head! Try to relax! Different exercises and time on snow will increase your confidence. Just stay with it.