why wider boards if on a skwal u can do EC? => $$$?

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

gdboytyler
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gdboytyler » Friday 20 February 2004, 1:40

To JScott and SSTEFF,

It is really quite simple. Post some video proof that you can lay out some carves like J&P on bargain equipment and then you will be taken seriously.

Put up or shut up.

jscott
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jscott » Friday 20 February 2004, 3:29

What do you think of this guys picture? Pretty good huh. Is he on a bargain board to? So it looks as though this guy HAS put up so you should take your own advise and ........ Just a thought
http://www.eces.us/ :roll:
import/export expert

carving
shooting gun
surfing

jscott
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jscott » Friday 20 February 2004, 3:49

Everyone in this forum is so uptight. What's the big deal anyways? The swoard is no great feat of engineering, its your typical run of the Taiwan factory sweat shop boards!! So typical, you guys are out to make a quick buck. Feeble attempt. I have been riding a board I made in my garage from 2 years ago, I sandwiched a woodcore with some marine plywood I picked up at my local Home depot. I picked up some beer cans and create some sharp edges to carve with and resin at a local boat shop and spent 3 hours creating a masterpiece. That board is heavy, but when I tell you I can touch my forehead to the snow, I kid you not!!!!! I am an expert carver with 10 years experience. I will go toe to toe with any of you German Swiss guys. Im the best. I just don't have all the time you guys have to pose for cameras and shoot video of how cool I am. So keep posing and beware of the Marine plywood board (MPoard) cuting you off
Jake Scott brother" Tim the beautiful"
import/export expert

carving
shooting gun
surfing

gdboytyler
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gdboytyler » Friday 20 February 2004, 7:10

jscott wrote:What do you think of this guys picture? Pretty good huh. Is he on a bargain board to? So it looks as though this guy HAS put up so you should take your own advise and ........ Just a thought
1. That guy is definately not "jscott".
2. What did he do on the next turn? A lot of people can do 1 laid-out carve in good snow, but not many can keep linking those laid-out carves down the run.
3. JScott and Ssteff will continue to be regarded as trolls until they come up with some video footage (preferable of themselves) or maybe show up at one of the Expression Sessions to prove their arguments.

tommaso2k
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tommaso2k » Friday 20 February 2004, 10:20

Guys,

would it be possible to stop this kind of conversation. Everybody is fighting against each other and this was not the case in this forum in the past. I would really appreciate to come back to serious discussions without agression.

Thanks

Tommaso

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Friday 20 February 2004, 11:11

I totally agree with Tomasso. We now know the different opinions and this discussion is leading nowhere :wall: . Therefore it should be ended.
harald

jason_watkins
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jason_watkins » Friday 20 February 2004, 21:47

jscott wrote:What do you think of this guys picture? Pretty good huh. Is he on a bargain board to? So it looks as though this guy HAS put up so you should take your own advise and ........ Just a thought
Bad pic to use for your example. That's a MADD snowboard. I've read that they originally sold for more than $800usd each in 1996. They went out of business, but people consider these boards magical for carving on ice. They sell on ebay for more than the original price.

The guys that made them recently mentioned they're making a few more. They won't say actual price, but I'd be very surprised if they're cheaper than $1000usd.

jscott
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jscott » Saturday 21 February 2004, 0:18

Actully that board was sold for $250. Nice try......
Jake Scott living this FORUM....
import/export expert

carving
shooting gun
surfing

jason_watkins
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jason_watkins » Saturday 21 February 2004, 2:46

jscott wrote:Actully that board was sold for $250. Nice try......
Jake Scott living this FORUM....
Here's something posted from bomber about it:
Chris Houghton wrote:Madd 158 SRP (1996)
$850 - according to Performance Snowboard Reports magazine that year, and John G. said the same when I called him.
And here's Mr. Gilmore himself from the catek forum, talking about what pricing would be like on a new run of the boards:
John Gilmore wrote:Well, I would like to see some new equipment being made that is better than the older madd decks. Problem is...who would pay big $$$ for special materials, special cores, v-lam construction, expensive base, and this time- killer inserts- and for a few new things- like enhanced vibration control, molded top tuning sheets and the like?

It isn't rocket science to make a better snowboard....just logic, sound contruction methods, top quality materials, designers who ride at a high level and some "vision". You have to be able to model the forces on the board from the snow and the rider in your mind- taking into account a few simple newtonian physics you learned in high school.

The real question? If one of the existing custom board makers were to press out a limited series of 100 Madd decks how much would you pay to own two decks (assuming ther are only 50 customers who can ride well and afford the quality).

The more people are willing to pay- the better the board could be- pretty simple. Like $400 would get you a cap construction board, while $900 would get you an extremely high quality V-lam, similar to the older decks.
Where was the board you're referring to sold for $250? Maybe it was one of the freestye Madd's?

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Saturday 21 February 2004, 17:58

jscott wrote:What do you think of this guys picture?
Hallo Jscott

I had a look at the pictures in the link you posted. When rating pictures, I'm always looking for backside turns. (This is because a laid frontside is very easy; so "The BS counts!".)

1. I couldn't find any laid fully extended backside @this link.
2. And linking laid turns is an other thing again (that can be viewed in videos only)!

A fully laid and extended BS looks like this:
There is EC pictures all over the Internet.
Are they all Swoard-riders, is it the rider, the board or both?
There are some, but really not so many. If you have some links, please post them, I'm interested to see them.

And you are right, it's possible to Ecarve with other boars too. For me, the riding style comes first, the gear comes second (and makes good styles better of course).
The SWOARD has a good shape for this ECing. If you are looking for an equivalent shape, it will be hard to find. You probably need a custom made board, that is usually very expensive.
If you like doing EC with a narrow board, then enjoy it!! But please have a look at the picture section of extremecarving.com first; so we are sure that we're talking about the same thing when talking about ECing.

Best Regards
Olaf

BTW: I hope J&P&N make lot of money with their SWOARD. They gave me so much pleasure with this ECing, they should get damn rich.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

entering the game :)

Post by nils » Friday 27 February 2004, 11:16

Hey guys back from Aspen!
We'll write a review of the event, and wow when i popped into the forum was like 100 topics :) so here is a one with nice ideas...
Jscott/sstef>
Let me explain our (Swoard) point of view to help view things clearly.

First of all, we should all accept critisicm when it is based on facts, and not on ideas.

First of all: the TD2.
We have tried the TD2, and ride them. Those bindings give us the best feeling and allow for exceptionnal pressure on the edge, that no other binding gave us before. It is because the dampening is so exceptionnal, that the vibrations don"t interfere with pressing down. thus more pressure.
The smaller footprint is the same now on the td2 as on the phiokka PH1 almost. Both bindings allow for great power transmission, and allow the board to bend along its natural flex (parabolic in our case) so there is no flat spot. The bails are strong, the quality of the binding shows it will last many years without flaws and this is what we like !

The board:
Board price: As said previously, the board production cost itself is 3 times this of a normal board with regular sandwich construction. The difference is we don't sell the board 3 times the price of other boards....
To be franck: If we really wanted to sell the right price for the board in order to make money, we would have to sell it over 1100/1200 euros. We decided the price had to stay in the 800/900 euros range in order to be available to more people. (lets hope we can maintain this prices).
Now please don't insult us with the "typical taiwan factory sweat shop board": those are made for 45 euros, which is barely a 7th of what our board costs to make so please!..
We are fighting to be a company that will be able to survive over the years, and believe me make no $$$ as for now.

Board handling/concept:
Its wider, its made for those turns called EC and helps making them easy. It does not pretend to be the only board to make them, but it is yet the only board which allows people to link them turns on steep slopes. Please prove me wrong with any video :).
Width: it is wide because the less angles you can put gives you better power under toes and heels. this is the main reason the board is wide. and it also allows more stability, and gives a board which is more versatile and easier to ride on comparing to a race board.

Reviews:
As you can see we've had two fake reviews in bomber review section, i hope you didn't take them for real since its obvious they are fake ( a 220 pounds guy saying he tried the 168 (medium board for max 160 pounds rider) and saying its too stiff is just hilarious stuff). Those reviews are going to be removed from the site anyway, because Fin verified the emails and they are also fakes. We accept critics, and people that actually tried the board telling us for example they don't like it because it is too wide for them (happened). Yet we've had no customer unhappy of the board, or that wanted to change for a skwal for example...

Hope this answers a few of your concerns, and explains you why the board price is cheap for what it is, and why the board concept is this one.

Nils
Swoard team / 175M's (G1-G5, Pro1-2) / Dual1-2/ Redline / EC12
http://www.swoard.com