Joining the Swoard community... but some questions first.

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

gTa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Joining the Swoard community... but some questions first.

Post by gTa » Thursday 3 December 2009, 1:38

Hi all,

I'm Gilles, I'm Belgian, and I'm into alpine snowboarding since day one. The reason being the fact that the snow shop in Chamonix (F) where I wanted to rent my first snowboard the day prior to starting lessons (back in 1992) were out of "Banana Boards" and gave me an asymmetric alpine board (I think it was a Nitro). :-)

I've had two Burton Coils with Burton Earth hardboots for many years, being rather happy with it. Three years ago, I bought an F2 Silberpfeil 172 and a pair of Blax Ingemar boots, and F2 Intec Titanflex plates. It was a much better board and the boots were a lot better too.

But I'm stuck technique-wise. I can often lay down a rather nice frontside carve (not armpit-to-snow but it's close), backside carve is completely rubbish, though. I stiick my but out, and I do not get any closer to the snow with the upper body...
But actually, I'm happy with it, physical condition has become worse since I'm working, so I'm satisfied with what I can do and I'm having fun. Which is the main thing, I guess.

The Silberpfeil is in very good condition, still ... but last year I swapped my softboot board (Atomic Dreamraider) for a 01/02 Rad Air Tanker 192 (which I ride with Salomon Relay XLT's and Burton Driver X's), and I am baffled : that board floats powder like nothing I've ever ridden before, and it carves on softies almost as good as the Silberpfeil but being a lot less tiring. That stick is like ... divine. Never it will part from me...
So now, I'm stoked to swap the Silberpfeil for something better (since the Tanker can do a lot that the Silberpfeil can, except sharper deep turns on steep slopes) ... so I'm selling the Silberpfeil and I've decided to go for a Swoard. The many reviews here convinced me... ;)

Some questions. But first, me: 1m88, 87-88kgs, feet mondo 28,5, average physical condition, alpine technique OK, EC technique rubbish (but I'm a quick learner).
  • I reckon I need the Swoard 175, but I'm a bit reluctant to choose the 175H, and I'm thinking of maybe choosing the 175M. What do you guys think?
  • Will my F2 Intec TitanFlex really hinder me trying to learn EC on a Swoard? I mean: should I better immediately buy a set of F2 Race Titaniums, and leave the Intecs on the Silberpfeil?
  • How prone to breaking (front bails) are those F2 bindings (Intec/regulars)? I've read a lot about breaking bails, but mostly of those TD's, right?
  • Are the Blax Ingemar boots any good for EC? Anyone having a clue if there are improvements to be made on those?

I'm hoping for many answers, so I can order soon. I'm leaving for St.Moritz on the 20th of December, so it's got to be here by that date. ;-)

Thanks & greetz from Belgium!

Gilles

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Thursday 3 December 2009, 9:25

Blax Ingemar's are about the best boots to go for after the Northwaves, because they are almost identical to the Head Stratos. You should read up about Head Stratos on this board, everything applies to your boots as well.

A Swoard is a pretty soft board, so you might go for a M which is more easy to ride and has more grip, or go for a H when you want to ride faster. I did not notice how smooth the M cruises (I weight +/- 90kgs) until I switched to a F2 Silberpfeil, which was hell to ride on the chopped up slope at that time.

M and H are probably softer than your Tanker. EC style boards are considerably more soft than most 'freestyle' boards I tested or handflexed, still EC boards are more stiff torsionally!

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Thursday 3 December 2009, 10:05

Transistor Rhythm wrote:Blax Ingemar's are ..... almost identical to the Head Stratos.
Are you sure? I always thought, that the Ingemar´s were the stiffest boot in that line and perhaps even stiffer than Head Stratos Pro.
Am I wrong?
Transistor Rhythm wrote:M and H are probably softer than your Tanker.
That has to be discussed.
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Thursday 3 December 2009, 10:14

joemzl wrote:Are you sure? I always thought, that the Ingemar´s were the stiffest boot in that line and perhaps even stiffer than Head Stratos Pro.
Am I wrong?
They might be. But would it be a problem if you would modify them? I think stiff boots are fine, as long as they are still comfortable to ride all day and give the right forward flex.

gTa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gTa » Thursday 3 December 2009, 13:29

Thanks for the answers already!

I'm still debating whether I'd take the 175M or the 175H. I'm prone to a little more comfort than when I was younger, and I can really appreciate some gentleness and ease of use whilst accompanying my girlfriend who's on skis. And since I will not be pushing a 175 to its limits in the coming 2-3 winters, and I often have to cope with less than perfect groomers, I think the 175M won't be a bad choice.

There's a 175M + F2 Titaniums + Head Stratos Pros for sale as a set in the classifieds section. Seems rather interesting, actually. Depends on the price, though. A new gen.3 175M costs 580 EUR, some 120-130 EUR for a set of F2 Race Titaniums and I'm off. The tuned (for flex) used boots I'm actually not willing to pay a lot of euros for...

Keep them thoughts coming! It helps me deciding. :-D

Thanks,

Gilles

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Thursday 3 December 2009, 13:55

Come to the Swoard meeting in Landgraaf next week, you can at least try my board (175M 2D built by Virus), maybe someone else that is willing to let you try is bringing a 168H or 175H too.

The modified boots are in your size and have exactly the same shell, what could be wrong with them? Maybe you would like to replace the liner and inner sole, I think I would not leave those in unless someone has spent only a day or two on them. You get them with an ACSS pre-installed, all the work has been done already.

And where do you get your 130 euro F2 bindings?

gTa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gTa » Sunday 6 December 2009, 13:01

A shop here in Ghent. They ask 150 but I'll get them for a good 10% less, I'm sure. Need an Avalung too, and some other stuff, so...

Still undecided about the stiffness, though. 175M or 175H. I weigh 88 kgs "today" (in the morning, nude). I'm reading that the Swoard EC is not that stiff, and I'm afraid that a 175M will be a bit too soft on rougher terrain? On the other hand I don't push all the time, and most of the time only on the best surfaces (fresh groom).

Your thoughts?

Thx!

Gilles

erik
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by erik » Sunday 6 December 2009, 19:32

I think it's difficult for others to say what would be best: everyone has a different feeling and preferences.
Best thing is to try, try and try if you're not sure. THE place to do that is Zinal, during ECS.
Perhaps you have got to delay your order?

Greetings from another belgian.
Swoard 2D 168H #13, f2 race titanium, raichle AF600 ACSS, Northwave .900

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Sunday 6 December 2009, 19:37

gTa wrote:Still undecided about the stiffness, though. 175M or 175H. I weigh 88 kgs "today"
hmmm, I weight about 80 kg and ride both 168 M and H (not at the same time ;) ). 168 M is perfect for steep slopes and / or icy snow. 168 H is better for "flat" slopes and soft snow.
Considering that 175 M has more or less the same flex than 168 H, I would recommend 175 M for you. But as Erik said, the best solution is to try ... Come to Zinal !
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Sunday 6 December 2009, 19:37

I would say that if you normally ride on hard surface then pick softer board, if you ride normallly on bumby surface then pick harde rversion.
Come to Zinal if possible but buy board now and start to join about it right away :wink:

gTa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gTa » Sunday 6 December 2009, 19:41

I've decided. ;-) I've put in an order for a 175M. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Let's hope they handle my order quickly, it should be here in Belgium thursday 18th of December (or earlier), since on Friday 19th I'm leaving for the first winter holiday of this season! :-)

Thanks for the advice, all !!

gTa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gTa » Sunday 6 December 2009, 19:44

erik wrote:I think it's difficult for others to say what would be best: everyone has a different feeling and preferences.
Best thing is to try, try and try if you're not sure. THE place to do that is Zinal, during ECS.
Perhaps you have got to delay your order?

Greetings from another belgian.
I won't be able to get there, I'm afraid. Would have been great though.

Funny, your avatar is the same as mine on another forum (www.autoforum.be) where I'm very active (well, not the last two months). ;-)

It will be the 175M ! And I hope Swoard is fast in taking & shipping orders. :-)

gTa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gTa » Sunday 6 December 2009, 20:13

Short one : do boots with F2 Intec heelpieces fit in a regular F2 Race Titanium binding?

Would be great, that way I can keep the Silberpfeil and do not have to change the heelpieces...

(I'll probably swap the Silberpfeil for an RS 177 or RS 183)

erik
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by erik » Sunday 6 December 2009, 20:18

Pitty you can't make it: fantastic event and would have been nice to enlarge the small group of Belgian participants. Perhaps next year?

Enjoy your Swoard!
Swoard 2D 168H #13, f2 race titanium, raichle AF600 ACSS, Northwave .900

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Sunday 6 December 2009, 20:21

gTa wrote:Short one : do boots with F2 Intec heelpieces fit in a regular F2 Race Titanium binding?

Would be great, that way I can keep the Silberpfeil and do not have to change the heelpieces...

(I'll probably swap the Silberpfeil for an RS 177 or RS 183)
Yes they fit :D