Understanding about ratios to length, weight, sidecut, weist

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

DaveESPI
Rank 0
Rank 0

Understanding about ratios to length, weight, sidecut, weist

Post by DaveESPI » Saturday 14 November 2009, 23:18

Nils, Thanks for the reply in (ANOTHER FORUM). Your understanding about ratios to length, weight, sidecut and weist is exactly what most people in this industry who are presently making boards are missing, or are sorely missing. While from an "Either/or" stance from a marketng point, I can fully agree about wanting to have it go both ways, but that is why there really does need ot be a larger version. Even with plates on, I have big feet. that fact does not change not matter what board Im on. A person with a size 10 shoe has a huge advantage on a 26 cm weist over me as they can run 22 / 16 and not have any drag. If I try to run similar Im hanging 2 inches off the sides. Its something the ski industry however is picking up on. Wide skis are making an appearance on the scene this year. This is especialy obvious with twin-tips and "park skiers" who are filling in the gaps where there are not the soggy-bottom, knuckle dragging slope-apes sitting in the park.
Compare the footings of tall basketball players and depth to that of Keels and counter weights on sailboats for stability, and there is a correlation to how we ballance on a snowboard with relation to weight and stance.

If you have a long ship, and no way to keep it ballanced, it will capsize in turns. Its all about ratios. I think that SWOARD is on the right path with this.

Width does matter.

Nils, for giggles, here are my stats. how would you set up this board for me?

6'2
155#
stance width 21" - Regular.
size 12.5 softboot Salomon 'mutes
Rossignol HC4000
OR
size Mondo 32 Head Stratos Pro
Bomber TD2 bindings

I ride eastcoast ice and crud. Im agressive, and well ballanced, but also like to ride switch and goof around occasionaly with the "parkers" also.

Angles? offset? canting? what board and length?

thanks, Just curious the difference.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Hello

Post by nils » Sunday 15 November 2009, 11:43

Hello Dave
Just a question: 155# are kilos or pounds?

As for the question of people with bigger feet: i'm letting Jacques enter the topic so he can give the input of width choices on the boards.

thnx
Nils

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Sunday 15 November 2009, 19:13

Nils wrote:As for the question of people with bigger feet: i'm letting Jacques enter the topic so he can give the input of width choices on the boards.
Very simple: most tall people have big feet, most small people have small feet that's why big board should be wider than small boards. Of course, there are always exceptions that would need a custom board for a perfect match.

Here at Swoard we find illogical that a same model with different lengths has a constant width. The result is that this model is in fact made of different boards: wide for small people and narrow for bid ones.
As examples: a small girl on a short race board will have to use a lower angulation than a tall man on the longest version of the same model. So the behavior of this board will be different for the girl and the man. :dogeyes:

Jacques

DaveESPI
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DaveESPI » Thursday 19 November 2009, 6:52

Im a hunderd fifty five pounds. (american weight measurement)

Sorry I forgot this was a Euro site :rolleyes: lol.
Snow, It's mother natures' blueballs.