New Swoard model: the DUAL > All details!

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

yomama
Rank 5
Rank 5

Softboot width setting

Post by yomama » Friday 22 January 2010, 6:53

In one of the thread, the "ideal" width for ECing with the Extremecarver is height/3.5.

I know it is personal feel/opinion but can this rule be applied to softboot in general or should it be wider a little?

Thanks beforehand!

Peter

docrob
Rank 2
Rank 2

Dual

Post by docrob » Friday 22 January 2010, 11:01

I studied the dual measurements by the inserts, and with my 28 mondo softboots (32 cm length on the boot outside without bindings), I found out that I need boots turned about 45 degrees to get zero boot-out (168 Dual). 41 degrees with 175 dual.
As someone new to carving (and 180 cm/76kg in the shower), when I notice so little difference, I wonder if maybe I would better fit some risers to raise my boots up off the board, and go with the 168, instead of buying the 175, which is probably too large.
What do you / anybody think about that?
Some other things I would ask for expert opinions about:

What is approximately the maximum boot-out with no risers to permit catch free “freecarving”?

What is approximately the maximum boot angle to allow good freecarving in soft boots?

When you advise the rider weight ranges for swoard Dual in the swoard .pdf…are these rider weights with no clothes/shoes, dressed for the street, or dressed for boarding?

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: Austria, but moedling near vienna, bloody 1 hour drive to semmering or rax

Post by Felix » Friday 22 January 2010, 11:17

I would try to achieve around 80° of angle from boards edge/ground to boot - with the board lying flat on the ground.. (now please don't angle the board on the ground, because of the radius the angle should then be over 90°).
Swoard 3D - 168M
http://Openmtbmap.org - get the most popular maps for Mountainbiking in Europe...

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

well

Post by nils » Friday 22 January 2010, 11:40

i myself respect the by the book rule: no overhang on any board i ride:
Overhang means that you will have to restrain from doing certain turns with your board because of risks of loosing edge: i find it stupid, especially on a board able to whistand powerful EC turns to loose this ability. The only time i set up my board with a small overhang was on my 196 swallow: i still remember the pain from the fall when i did a power backside on piste on my way back to the car and the boot caused a loose edge.

If there was really a huge benefit of riding with overhang ( lower angles) over riding with no overhang i'd say risk it, but since i have not notice any uncomfort, pain, loose of efficiency riding with higher angles compare to lower angles: why loose the ability of my board in power carving.

The Dual allows that possibility ( its really amazing the edge hold it has, it is almost comparable to the Extremecarver, with much smaller edge length).

In softboots of course the debate is to know if the rider is going to carve as low and as powerful: i'm going to test it and tell you :) ( i personnaly dislike duck stance it gives such an weird ugly look)...

N

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: well

Post by starikashka » Friday 22 January 2010, 12:29

nils wrote: i personnaly dislike duck stance it gives such an weird ugly look)...
Yep...it looks really weird if someone carve in duck stance - i`ve seen it. So it should be a guy who just does not understand limits and advantages of such settings.
i`m learning

docrob
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by docrob » Friday 22 January 2010, 12:47

Yes, I would prefer no overhang because dual would be my only swoard (for now).
...but isn't 45 degrees rear and more (maybe 60), too much for freecarving with softboots? (both feet pointing forwards...not duck ! ..LOL!)
I keep hearing about lack of lateral support with softboots.

Oh, and dual rider recommended weights..with boots and kit on, or naked please?

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Friday 22 January 2010, 14:36

docrob wrote: Oh, and dual rider recommended weights..with boots and kit on, or naked please?
Also it`s critical to have recommendation for those who eat a lot. I mean choosing for hungry weight :-)
i`m learning

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

naked

Post by nils » Friday 22 January 2010, 18:26

weights are for naked :)
Gear adds up to 5 kilos!
Nils

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: naked

Post by starikashka » Friday 22 January 2010, 20:11

nils wrote:weights are for naked :)
Gear adds up to 5 kilos!
if i eat so much i will not be able to ride naked...i need a gear.. Sounds logical
i`m learning

markus
Rank 0
Rank 0

dual175 deelux700 f2intec

Post by markus » Wednesday 27 January 2010, 16:23

hey,
i am thinking about getting an extremecarver or the DUAL 175 with hardboots: deelux 700 and an f2 intec titanflex or titanium...
what do you think? i ll be happy for any feedback...
i am 1,90m 92kg... thanks guys :?:

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Hello

Post by nils » Wednesday 27 January 2010, 19:45

Hello Markus:
1. intec is not good on our boards because with the lower angles you need side flexibility that the intec cannot allow. it may even cause too much stress on the board if you fall on the nose and break the board ( it is not often the case, but it has happened in the past, 90% with intec...)
2. I think you are a bit heavy for the Dual, especially if you are on hardboots i'd recommend a 175H Extremecarver. On softboots the Dual would be fine.

Nils

nakaniko
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: well

Post by nakaniko » Monday 21 February 2011, 14:52

What an interesting board the Dual, 175. It seems the only board on the market really focused on carving on the tracks and going out in the powder.
I mean, I have Nitro Torque 164, Nitro Supernaturals 163, and F2 Lancelot 172, but none of these boards and none of the boards on the maket has long effective edge and a real carving sidecut radius (+10 m). Supernaturals is light and responsive but made for freeriding, it allows only tight curves. Torque has longer effective adge and good grip, slightly larger radius and stronger flex, but in deep powder becomes a submarine because of too hard nose flex for freeriding. Lancelot has fantastic nose in powder and larger radius, but I don't want to push hard in the tracks on the two swallowtails...
Some questions. I'm 175x90 kg, 42-270 feet, I use to push hard also on front foot, and the Dual according to tests seems to be almost soft. This in my experience can cause problems in steep and deep powder slopes, I experienced this with my olr and soft Rad Air Tanker (flipping over the nose when going down on Toula, Mt Blanc). What about? And what about in the future different flexes like for Extremecarver, at least medium and hard? And the response: is it more lively like the board I actually have or more forgiving?
Thnx
Burton Speed Wide 168 - Nitro Shogun 168, Torque 164, Slash 171, etc. - snowboarder and windsurfer

WaileaBeach89
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New Swoard model: the DUAL > All details!

Post by WaileaBeach89 » Tuesday 25 December 2012, 22:30

The Dual could be the board I have been looking for. The pdf brochure is very informative. I have 2 remaining questions. First, in regards to "7 series of inserts per foot for a wide range of settings" do you mean stance angles? Second how long would delivery of a Dual 175 take to San Francisco, California, USA. I would like it soon!

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Thursday 27 December 2012, 15:04

We mean the stance, the distance in between the feet.

For example on the DUAL 175, the minimal stance is 47cm. The maximal distance is 63cm. Centered position is 55cm.
With the series of inserts, you can move an feet 2cm by 2cm. Moreover the holes in the base of your bindings give you an additional margin of 2cm.

For the DUAL 168, the values are 45 / 61 / 53.
For the DUAL 163, this is 43.5 / 59.5 / 51.5.
And finally, for the DUAL 158 the values are 42 / 58 / 50.

The delivery time from Switzerland to USA is at least 7 days. Because of the days off with the New Year Eve, add 4 days.

Patrice Fivat

hemmas01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hemmas01 » Wednesday 10 April 2013, 19:22

Hi Guys,

I suspect I'm asking a variation on some of the things others have already asked but here goes....

I've been boarding for around 15 years now but only getting in about 2 weeks max a year. These are always family holidays with friends in tow. I'm typically the only boarder amongst a group of very proficient and quick skiers. I've been riding a Burton Custom X (165) for the past 6 years but now need a change. I am looking for a quick, piste orientated board that will also work in powder (nothing extreme I hasten to add). I guess i've ended up here based on the search criteria I've been using!

I'm a soft boot rider ansd use the latest Flow bindings. I started off with positive settings for both bindings but over the past couple of years have played with small negative angles on the back foot. I'm 192cm and 90 kilos.

The Dual looks really interesting and I'm assuming I should be looking at the 175cm (?). Am I in the right place do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Steve