Swoard 161M report

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

yomama
Rank 5
Rank 5

Swoard 161M report

Post by yomama » Tuesday 13 January 2004, 23:02

Before I write a short report on the Swoard 161M, I would like to thank Jacques Rilliet and the EC team for making such a wonderful carving deck. I am having a blast on this board !!

About me
- I started snowboarding in 1998
- I have carved in Quebec and now in Lake Tahoe
- 165cm and 60kg (5'5 & 130 lbs)
- Bindings angles 55/50
- Northwave boots
- Head (ex Blax Stealth) bindings

First impressions
I was right away at ease on the Swoard 161M thanks to its light weight and stability. It also provides a "thin" and accurate feeling after a few carves.

Carving
The board stability provides a huge confidence booster before executing a carve. The Swoard can be described as a high performance carving deck with a fantastic ease of use. The edge-to-edge is very quick thanks to its "springy" nature of the board. In Tahoe, it's rare to see ice so I can't comment about the 161M performances on icy conditions. I love the flex of this board which is perfect for my little 130lbs. I love softer boards but they are usually associated with high speed instability. Luckily, this is not the case of the Swoard !! Is the secret in that ATC ?

All-Mountain deck
The 161M lightweight and width allows it to float on powder. Those characteristics also make the board very easy to use. At first, I had reservation about riding fakie with a square tail board but this is actually not an issue at all once I got used to it. I tried the Swoard with little jumps, soft snow, a bit of powder etc...it's a great all-round board !!

Bottom Line
- Perfect combo with no compromise between flex and torsional stiffness.
- High performance carving board yet very easy to use
- Great all-round deck.

Watch out, the first time you ride this board, you are going to have so much fun that you can't stop laughing !

But don't worry, the Swoard is easy to get used to and makes EC fun !

This is a pix of the Swoard 161M on soft sticky snow

Peter Vu :chinese:

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Tuesday 13 January 2004, 23:11

Thanks, Peter for those great sharp pictures, very nice relaxed style :D
Nice to see another happy SWOARDboarder.

Greets, Hans.

Mariusz.Zamojski
Rank 3
Rank 3

previous boards

Post by Mariusz.Zamojski » Wednesday 14 January 2004, 15:21

Hi Peter

Very nice pictures. What boards were you riding before Swoard ?

Mariusz

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Wednesday 14 January 2004, 17:45

HelloPeter

Nice Photos :)

Didn't you ride a Swoard already last season?

Stay Deep
8) Olaf 8)

yomama
Rank 5
Rank 5

replies

Post by yomama » Thursday 15 January 2004, 0:07

Mr. Olaf
I cannot hide anything from huh ? :cry:
Yes you are right. I received the toward the end of the season. But I had very cheap bindings and knew it was a problem so by the time I received the Head Binding, it was the end of the season. This is why I decided not to write a report on the Swoard because I had little experiences on it.
And....I was waiting for pictures that are worth a thousand words :wink:
Thanks to Don, a member of Tahoecarvers, I had pix of me on the Swoard.

Mariusz,
Before riding Swoard, I rode F2 Roadster, one day on Rossi VAS, one day on another de-tuned race board, an MLY 167 and also freestyle Salomon Daniel Franks. Hope this helps.

Cheers !

Peter :chinese:

gdboytyler
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gdboytyler » Thursday 15 January 2004, 23:57

Yomama,

Nice carves, and good informative report. How well could you carve on your previous snowboards? How much did the Swoard improve your riding, or could you lay your other boards over just as far?

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you end up paying for the Swoard when you include any taxes, shipping, etc.

GdBoyTyler

yomama
Rank 5
Rank 5

Swoard Test 161M

Post by yomama » Friday 16 January 2004, 18:19

Hi GdBoyTyler,

Hope it's not too cold where you are right now 8O
Nice carves, and good informative report. How well could you carve on your previous snowboards? How much did the Swoard improve your riding, or could you lay your other boards over just as far?
Thanks for your kind feedback. Before the Swoard, I improved thanks to the advices/video of the Masters J&P as illustrated here viewtopic.php?t=278with an MLY167 which is a fun board but not as fun as the Swoard.
I could lay it down on other boards but they were not confidence inspiring as the Swoard which was designed specifically for that purpose :clap2:

The Swoard 161M has a ~12m sidecut which allows me to lay down longer making the "pleasure" almost... :oops:
Mostly, the Swoard feels a lot more *accurate* underfoot vs. other boards I have tried. I don't know how to say this but the board is very lively yet easy, hi performance yet forgiving.
Has the Swoard improve my riding? Yes it has because I have a lot more confidence before I comit into a carve and if sthg goes wrong, I know it was my mistake, not the board. gdboytyler, take any sports you are good at (not involving an engine) and you will notice that it is +/-75% technique and +/-25% equipment. However we need to keep in mind that it's the equipment that helps us improving over time. Hope this answers your questions.
If you don't mind my asking, how much did you end up paying for the Swoard when you include any taxes, shipping, etc.
gdboytyler, not sure my answer will be relevant because in March 03, the US dollar was still strong vs the Euro which is not the case now. :wall: :doh: