boots flex modifications

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Friday 11 September 2009, 9:57

I wonder, why so many people here in the forum are still fans of stiff boots :?: :roll:
If you read the advices to the boots, you will find that not so stiff boots are recommended.
Advice is to take .900 and not .950 . It is the same with the Deeluxe boots.
You can´t make stiff boots less stiff, even with the softest springs :!: :!: :!:
You can choose perhaps a soft tongue, to make it more flexible for a good forward flex, but the boot ist still stiff in the sideflex.
With springs you have every possibility to make a soft boot (not softboot :wink: ) stiffer, exept sideflex.

Am I getting something wrong, or is true?
We have had that discussion for recommended Deeluxes so often in the last time,
that we perhaps should ask Patrice for a statement.
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

Roelh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roelh » Friday 11 September 2009, 13:16

Thanks Joemzl,

I understand that you advice the 225 instead of the 325 Deeluxe. Why are so many Swoarders using the 325 and not the 225? Are the 225 to soft perhaps? Or is it that there is no difference in front flex and that the side flex is not important voor ec?

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Friday 11 September 2009, 13:37

I had deluxe indy which seems to be a stiffer deluxe boots avaliable in the last years. In my view it`s not bad if your boot have no side flex. More than that - i have springs only on rear boot, my modest extremecarving experience did not let me feel the difference between "more" and "less" front flex for front boot for extremecarving. Because i also ride bomberstyle on my narrow short stick and feel better performance if front boot is locked :-)

For sure - springs are required :-) Side flex - i do not know yet, probably not needed.
i`m learning

Zanci
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Zanci » Friday 11 September 2009, 15:31

I bought a bts for my deeluxe t700.
How to remove the pins?
I don't want to break anything so I'm asking this as a precaution

leeho730
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by leeho730 » Friday 11 September 2009, 16:09

You can use bull point tool (that's what I used) and hammer to hammer the pins out.

You need to use narrow bull point tool that can go through holes, as you sometimes need to hammer the pins TWICE in order to completely remove thm from the boots. The pins are held onto boots by threads on one end, not both.

You won't break anything but if you repeatedly hammer the pins out the holes that hold the threads might eventually wear out...
Swoard 168M&S / Dual 158
TD3SW /F2 / Ibex
Stratos / RC10 / T700

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Friday 11 September 2009, 18:38

@ Roelh
Of course there is a difference between the 225 and 325.
The 225 is softer.
Maybe it´s a preference, but the sideflex does matter for EC.
Jacques recommended it some time ago in a test with a Suzuka.
The shell of a Suzuka has the same stiffness as a Track 225.
But due to the asymmetric style it feels stiffer.
So the range for the Suzuka should be between Track 225 and 325.
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

Roelh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roelh » Saturday 12 September 2009, 17:24

I ordered Head Stratos Pro..... and will ask Arnaud for possibilities for spring system! I got advice from Patrice. Most important reason for me: Head boot is shorter then Deeluxe. Fits better on 168 Swoard.

leeho730
Rank 4
Rank 4

Modifying BTS

Post by leeho730 » Wednesday 16 September 2009, 16:40

I also modified BTS system to allow better flexion of boots and may also help prevent BTS from being snapped at the heel part.

I have cut some parts of BTS... now I can flex my boots a bit more.

Please note that this WILL void warranty... do at your own risk! :!:
Attachments
BTS2.jpg
BTS (after modification) under flexion
BTS2.jpg (52.26 KiB) Viewed 12257 times
BTS.jpg
BTS modification
BTS.jpg (55.2 KiB) Viewed 6525 times
Swoard 168M&S / Dual 158
TD3SW /F2 / Ibex
Stratos / RC10 / T700

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Wednesday 16 September 2009, 21:17

Roelh wrote:Head boot is shorter then Deeluxe. Fits better on 168 Swoard.
I have 290 mm feet :-) i`m able to place this into boot that designed for 270 mm feet :-) god bless thermoflex creators :-) And it still comfortable and gives lot of control :-)
i`m learning

Gunnar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gunnar » Thursday 17 December 2009, 20:32

starikashka wrote:I had deluxe indy which seems to be a stiffer deluxe boots avaliable in the last years. In my view it`s not bad if your boot have no side flex. More than that - i have springs only on rear boot, my modest extremecarving experience did not let me feel the difference between "more" and "less" front flex for front boot for extremecarving. Because i also ride bomberstyle on my narrow short stick and feel better performance if front boot is locked :-)

For sure - springs are required :-) Side flex - i do not know yet, probably not needed.
I to feel that softening the rear boot only can be the best option.
To move up and down in between turns, you need to flex the rear boot much more (or only?) then the front boot. I also feel that a stiff(er) front-boot, also helps allot to keep the weight centered to prevent over-loading the nose in soft and bumpy conditions.

I will star to play around more with different flex between front and back, when I get standard bails, so I can use my Dalbello Krypton's.
They have 3 different flex settings, and 3 different forward lean angles by switching wedges in the lower shell. And at least 5 different flex tongues.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Thursday 17 December 2009, 20:56

Gunnar wrote: I can use my Dalbello Krypton's.
They have 3 different flex settings, and 3 different forward lean angles by switching wedges in the lower shell. And at least 5 different flex tongues.
Ski boots?
i`m learning

Gunnar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gunnar » Friday 18 December 2009, 7:48

starikashka wrote:Ski boots?
Yes. But the model have been used by race-boarders. I use them because I'm a Patroler. I like the very progressive flex, and that it's so easy to change flex from 140, for GS racing, to 100 for skied up slopes and really cold days.
Do anyone know if they can be softened even further under 100-flex, with even softer tongues?

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Friday 18 December 2009, 8:50

My experience is that skiboots are way too hard anyway for EC. Perhaps they work for racing style with shorter movements.
For hard boots I have been recommended to use the same flex and forward lean for both front and rear foot, still with EC in mind.
harald

Gunnar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gunnar » Friday 18 December 2009, 21:13

I agree Harald. Softer is better for EC. I will use my Dalbellos for boarding only because it makes it possible for me to go back to skis without changing boots when I'm at work. It's to hard to control a toboggan on an alpineboard..
I can use my Blax in ski-bindings to, but they have dangerously long and soft flex for skiing. They have ACSS and cutaway's in the lowers..