Carved - a short flick about extreme carving

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

Jonas Rejman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Carved - a short flick about extreme carving

Post by Jonas Rejman » Sunday 16 March 2008, 21:31

Hello,
we just finished the shooting of the shortfilm Carved about extreme carving with Patrice Fivat and Jacques Rilliet. We shot on the new RED ONE cameras, often at 120 fps high speed. We had snowstorms, avalanches all over the place. All that at 2500m altitude. That was one hell of a ride, I can tell you.

Teasers:
A 1024x512 h264 Quicktime (best quality) | A flash VP6 stream (medium quality) | For the YouTube Fanatics, in "high quality"

NEWS

"La Carvesse" - a 1 minute recut. The more aggressive little sister of Carved, will be out soon.

2 takes of Carved made it to the official RED ONE demo at IBC, Amsterdam. Parts of only 22 other projects were cut together, from the best shots submitted by the best of the best.
While there was no time to get that done for NAB in April this year, and Carved was shown around at the show-floors on HDTV, this time the film and tv pro's got all the 2K love they could get.
This is quite a deal for me, so pardon my not-so subtle pride. :twisted:

http://www.ibc.org/cgi-bin/displaypage.cgi?pageref=4762

A PAL DVD image is online and DVD box artwork. For download, login into your account.

Connect to Carved Shortfilm in Facebook! This way, you will be always up to date with new developments.

There is a BETA-ENCODE section for the techgeeks in the downloadssection. Report back, how it goes.

If you are a member of Digg.com, and would not mind to digg me at the Carved Front page, that would be awesome.

Carved is out for download for a donation via PayPal. Some already got it, because I was testing the site, and all in sudden, the inquiries kept coming. That's very cool guys, thank you for the support of Carved that way. After all that work, that is very motivating and tells a lot about the spirit of the EC community. (And not to mention, that its summer :-D )
Please see the teaser and check the reviews. Some guys wrote about it already. That will help you to decide if you should go for it or not.
Remember to check, if your computer can handle the playback, to avoid bad surprises. I start to work on a DVD image, for those who are not into HD yet. Once it is ready, it will be added as download to your account on my site.

19.06.2008:
Screening for general audiences at Fonction Cinema in Geneva. Admission Free. GOOGLE MAP

12.06.2008:
First screening of Carved in Geneva at Fonction Cinema in 2k to a professional audience, as part of a seminar about high definition and digital cinema. GOOGLE MAP

14.05.2008:
Carved footage will be shown along with footage from Ringo Starr and BBC in a Demoreel at the RED NIGHT CANNES 2008 in Cannes, on the 16.05 at 7pm and 17.05 at 1am at the Miramar Beach, Boulevard de la Croisette (in front of the "Miramar Hotel").

08.05.2008:
Hi all, there is a little teaser of Carved online.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

shh :)

Post by nils » Sunday 16 March 2008, 21:56

We are pleased to announce that we teamed with Jonas and a bunch of incredible team that worked in the worst possible conditions !
Zinal resort also played a great role so thank you to everyone !
Now comes the time for Jonas for getting something out of the incredible footage...
Jonas explains in his diary the shooting and the extremeconditions, its a good idea to read about this unforgettable experience ! When he first got the idea, it all got very fast...

The Swoard team

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Wow

Post by Hans » Sunday 16 March 2008, 23:49

Wow, that's a hell of a camera you have there, 12BIT RAW 4K, super35mm, 12MP. Can't wait to see the endprod. No fun to handle this thing in a heavy snowstorm at 2500m.

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Monday 17 March 2008, 1:28

Great.

If you need an Editor or some Color Correction and Compositing you have to call me. ;)
Swoard 168M / Undertaker 185 + F2 Race Ti + tuned Raichle 324
Resorts : St Lary / Peyragudes / La Thuile
Carver toute l'année : carveboard.fr

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Monday 17 March 2008, 8:02

raphael wrote:Great.

If you need an Editor or some Color Correction and Compositing you have to call me. ;)
Raphael, can you edit my video to make me extremecarve like Patrice? :-)
i`m learning

Franck Lehmans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Carved - a short flick about extreme carving

Post by Franck Lehmans » Monday 17 March 2008, 8:31

Jonas Rejman wrote:We had snowstorms, avalanches all over the place. All that at 2500m altitude. That was one hell of a ride, I can tell you.

Stay tuned for some amazing images.
Hi Jonas !

The weather was so bad last week :cry: . Great that you could made somme good images... As you say : "some amazing images". They must be a God for Extremecarving films :wink: .
I'm realy impatient to see the 3min. movie :wall: . Please :pray:, make it fast ! :lol:

See you !
Franck, Préverenges, Suisse

manuchill
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by manuchill » Monday 17 March 2008, 9:28

can't wait to see the end result.... :P :P :P :P
SWOARD EC Pro 175H + F2 Race Titanium + Head Stratos Pro with ACSS attached personally by Arnaud ;)

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Monday 17 March 2008, 11:26

starikashka wrote:
raphael wrote:Great.

Raphael, can you edit my video to make me extremecarve like Patrice? :-)
Well, if CGI is needed it may be awfully expensive. :lol:
Swoard 168M / Undertaker 185 + F2 Race Ti + tuned Raichle 324
Resorts : St Lary / Peyragudes / La Thuile
Carver toute l'année : carveboard.fr

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

link to diary

Post by nils » Tuesday 18 March 2008, 21:19

Franck Lehmans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Franck Lehmans » Wednesday 19 March 2008, 8:32

Like Jonas told in the production diary :
" The cameras worked flawlessly at 120 fps. The images were incredible. A ballet on the snow. 2 carvers and a speedglider. A study of motion. A symphony of movement. (...) It was very rare, that fresh powder followed immediately such good conditions for extreme carving. Fantastic light. On 120 fps. No harm to the data. No problems because of Build 15 beta. We had it all. "

:silly: :wall: :silly: !
We will get crazy until we can see the first images !!!!
:silly: :wall: :silly: !

Thanks for your Diary. It will allows us to appreciate more the images you've made.

Jonas Rejman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jonas Rejman » Thursday 20 March 2008, 14:06

Franck Lehmans wrote:Thanks for your Diary. It will allows us to appreciate more the images you've made.
Hi Franck.
Thanks for reading the diary!
I did not expect many going through that. I wrote it more for myself, to not forget all that stuff that was going on. And for my friends, who unfortunately did not made it to the shooting.

Honestly, I am not exaggerating about the images. I got one shoot from Daniel in quite low-rez. (The other data is safely on his RAIDs). I play it every half an hour, just to make sure, that we really have it. I have never seen something like this. I dare say, that we may have something, that was shoot this way the first time ever. I am very proud and I am grateful to have had such an amazing team.

I am rushing the project into the post. Believe me, I want it as bad as you. But we will have to be patient. I want to make it right.

Cheers.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

exactly!

Post by nils » Thursday 20 March 2008, 14:10

jonas is not exagerating...the images are just unbelievable!!
you'll have to be very patient to see them :) but it will be worth the wait...
thnx again!!
nils

Viviane
Rank 5
Rank 5

diary

Post by Viviane » Thursday 20 March 2008, 16:32

Not just the movie but also the 4-days experience which teach you to have grat respect for nature must have been worth living.
Thanks Jonas, your diary gave us all a lesson,
viviane

Franck Lehmans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Franck Lehmans » Thursday 20 March 2008, 17:02

Jonas Rejman wrote:I am rushing the project into the post. Believe me, I want it as bad as you. But we will have to be patient. I want to make it right.
I'm patient... But you say that the images are just unbelivable, never seen before, etc. So you make all of us crazy :silly: :silly: :silly: !!!
Just, take your time to make it right :bravo:... but please :pray: , not too mutch :wink: !!!

Jonas Rejman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Carved, day 3 of editing

Post by Jonas Rejman » Tuesday 25 March 2008, 16:13

We are now in the 3rd day of editing.

I am in Paris with Raphael. The edit is shaping up really nice.
Really, really nice. :lol2:

Franck, I think I will need to post some stills ASAP, otherwise your permanent headbanging might finally show some damage... :wink: