Carved - a short flick about extreme carving

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

tommaso2k
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tommaso2k » Friday 4 April 2008, 20:22

Guys,

cool down and relax, its not worth to fight against each other here.
I am pretty sure that the movie will be excellent quality containing great scenes about EC and i would love to see it soon.

I just personally think that maybe the anouncement here in the forum was made too early waking up the appetite of the crowd with the last message saying you have 2 wait for a couple of months until you will finally see it.

Lets try to be patient now :wink:

Cheers
Thomas
Brand doesn´t matter, the spirit does!

Franck Lehmans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Franck Lehmans » Saturday 5 April 2008, 9:10

Jonas Rejman wrote:Well, we edited out the love scene between Angelina and Kate. Kate bailed out in the very last minute. (...)
I combined my passion for filmmaking with my new passion for extreme carving. I had the honor to meet incredible people along this creation process. I will never forget that. I am incredible happy. I put a lot of money down, almost killed myself, but it was an incredible ride. It was sooo worth it. (...)
For the rest of us, common economic laws apply. It certainly has nothing to do with lack of spirit, passion, community support, whatever. Only with the fact, that we do not live in a purple, nice and shiny world of Barbie.
I saw Jonas worked with Jacques and Patrice on the piste. He works like a professionnal. So be sure that this film will be beautifull and that the quality will be their. At the end of the day, I ride with Jonas. He wants to learn how to laydown (not anly with Angelina...) and is like anykind of us : he is sympathic, simple, openminded... He need's some energy so he must eat and drink sometimes, he must pay his snowpass, when he is taking the train, plane or anykind of transport, he must pay some money, etc. He's got a passion for film making and seems to have also the passion for mountain, included extremecarving (Jonas, is only film making a passion or do you survive from it ?). Please, be confident with Jonas like you are with friends of your friends and do not see the Devil everywere... I'm sure this crazy world is mutch more full of good people than of bad guys, even if we all had bad experience. Be confident, even if their is a risk... Yes, perhaps is Jonas a bad shark... but he takes time to give good energy to our sport.

I think that one of his dream is to live from making videos with the spirit of the mountain in it, the spirit of funsport, the spirit of extremecarving... Like we saw on the mountain-film-event "The Nigth of the Glide" http://www.nuitdelaglisse.com/. Do you remeber the first time we saw those images ??? The sensation that the film create on us ? The feeling that we had by seeing Regis Rolland, Serge Vitelli, Peter Bauer, Jose Fernandez evolving (flowing ???) in the snow ?
I think this is what Jonas want's to share with us.

When I see so much people comming to see those films, I don't want only to see the market and his principe. What I see is thousand of people who love funsports and extremesports and other who want's to share a passion, who makes movies and gives them to the public. All those people from the videoworld must live, so it is normal that we pay to thank them for the sensation they give us. Like for Jacques and Patrice. I know that they work's more for passion than for money, even if, hopefully, oneday, they should earn mutch more money than they invested at the begining.

So please, stop to see the world only with people who just want to fuck off every body by making lot of money on our back. :wink:

Jonas, tell me if I'm wrong... And sorry for my bad english and for all the mistakes... :oops:
Franck, Préverenges, Suisse

Silber

Post by Silber » Monday 7 April 2008, 10:44

Jonas Rejman wrote:Well, we edited out the love scene between Angelina and Kate. Kate bailed out in the very last minute.

It really was not my fault, that Kate got pissed, just because I slept with Angelina, while Kate was waiting in a restaurant for me. Girls!

Anyway, we go for theaters/festivals first. Then DVD/Bluray for those who understand that low volume dictates higher prices. Yes, we will try to earn money with it, before we give it away for free.

Yeah, its only 7 minutes. You can ignore it and go for a crazy extreme carving ride instead. I do not mind.
I combined my passion for filmmaking with my new passion for extreme carving. I had the honor to meet incredible people along this creation process. I will never forget that. I am incredible happy. I put a lot of money down, almost killed myself, but it was an incredible ride. It was sooo worth it.

I will certainly not spoil the fun now, having discussions about how badass I am, that i want to charge you guys more for an evt. DVD/Bluray, than what you pay for high volume productions.

Silber, if you can afford to work and do not need to make money while doing that, my congratulations. For the rest of us, common economic laws apply. It certainly has nothing to do with lack of spirit, passion, community support, whatever. Only with the fact, that we do not live in a purple, nice and shiny world of Barbie.
Jonas, please do not get me wrong... I said more than once that you should be compensated for your efforts especially if the output is going to be excellent.. My world is not so shiny and bright, I work my ass off at the office, and I give my coffee time free of charge to the EC community trying to moderate as well as I can the italian forum.. I specialize in evaluating investments and I know there is no free lunch out there. So, don't worry, I know what it means working for a living.

Maybe I could have been perceived as being a little rough in the discussion with Nils (but sometimes it's fun to harrass him a little bit..
:evil2:

The point I was trying to make is that maybe there is a way to get you compensated while getting the movie earlier in our hands (if you had been on this forum for a while you would know how impatient we are with EC movies, even the ugly ones.. :mrgreen: )...

That's it...but then again, if, for example, while we wait for the EC masterpiece you could post the edited scene of Angelina and Kate we would definitely be happy to wait for a while.... :lol2:
Francesco Swoard (1G175M 3G175M020 e 168H054),Wingergun205,Shaman193,TTubeS1/174GS,F2 (RS183'08 e'06/Lancelot/Slbpfl),Virus (Hurric./Dragon),Pogo (Hardc./Imp.),Burton (FP/Speed/PJ/CustomX),WildDuckFantasy, Duret168, OxygenProton168GS

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Post by nils » Tuesday 8 April 2008, 21:53

Silber wrote:Maybe I could have been perceived as being a little rough in the discussion with Nils (but sometimes it's fun to harrass him a little bit..
:evil2:
right ;) like my day job is not enough in the harrasment field :)
N

Silber

Post by Silber » Wednesday 9 April 2008, 16:47

Sorry Nils... :mrgreen: next drink is on me !!
Francesco Swoard (1G175M 3G175M020 e 168H054),Wingergun205,Shaman193,TTubeS1/174GS,F2 (RS183'08 e'06/Lancelot/Slbpfl),Virus (Hurric./Dragon),Pogo (Hardc./Imp.),Burton (FP/Speed/PJ/CustomX),WildDuckFantasy, Duret168, OxygenProton168GS

kjl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kjl » Saturday 12 April 2008, 23:13

!!!

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier! Can anybody give me the details on the Las Vegas show? It's only a 1.5 hour flight for me. If I can't make that, is there a list of other film festivals that Carved will be in?

Wait, on second look, it looks like NAB is a trade show, not a film festival. Never mind.

Regarding youtube: any filmmaker would regard watching an HD or 4k(!) film on youtube to be a horrible, horrible crime of vandalism, like reheating fine dining food in a microwave :D

I look forward to seeing it!
--

Ken

Jonas Rejman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jonas Rejman » Monday 14 April 2008, 0:08

@Franck
Well said!

@Silber
I guess this is a whole independent vs. commercial thing. A lot of great projects and endeavors start out as something little, something people started to do, because they felt the strong urge to do it. Against all odds, against all sanity. For some reason, there was a voice calling and this voice would never had gone away, when they ignored it.

Those are the visionarists, those who struggle, those who are said, they are wrong, until they prove with their actions, that they are not. They often fail, and then those, who never tried, those skeptics think they are right. But they are also those, who never dare.

There is a saying. For those who leap, the net will appear. Well, I can say from my experience, that that is not always true. And you fall hard. But the point is, that you stand up again, and try over. No matter what it takes.

SWOARD started out to be a passion of two guys, who felt, that something is missing in the alpine snowboarding. They did not do it for anyone but themselves. And when they showed off, what they invented (or perfectionalizes), people got interested, and thats how the business started.

The main point it, that unless you are not a millionaire, at a certain point, your endeavors should make money. Not only this is the most efficient way to silent the skeptics, but it also shows in a very straight way, if you were right with your idea in terms of whether your idea was shareable with other people, or not.

Commercial success is nothing bad. Even going for the big pile of money is not bad. I meet with a lot of independent people, who claim, that they are proud that they are not doing their projects for money. Those also never earned a cent with what they did. I also meet with a lot of commercial people, who whine, about that their business is only about money, and no creativity. This is maybe worse than the other ones, because, when you have money to invest, and want to be creative, you can be. It's much harder the other way round.

When is a project starting to be too commercial? Is it like the sundance festival, that started with people beeing in tents on the streets, because there were not enough hotels, and that is now almost a billion dollar business? Is it, when everybody started to have white earbuds coming from his jacket, indicating the ipod success? So you were not the only guy in town with that friggin' device? Is it when snowboarding started to be about what you wear, and not how you ride?

In my point of view, neither you, nor me have the right to judge such developments. Because, that is how it goes, very often, the involved people wanted only the best, and mostly, those who judge were never a big part of it.

If Patrice and Jacques' business will take over the world and start to be a million dollar business, where everybody and everyone will ride swoards, will it be a bad thing? When all the teenagers will have swoards, acting cool, but not be able to ride? Will that be bad? Or, what will happen, if they fail, SWOARD goes bankrupt, or another snowboard company will buy them out? How does one ressist a million EUR offer, when there is a family to feed and bills to pay? Nobody knows.

Again, whatever will happen, who are we to judge?
One have to look at one's investment into a project, and then have a reality check. Voluntary work, is great, serving coffee and help at events is great and very needed. Guys who help with the forums, who help with festivals etc. Yes, of course they are needed.
And they are part of something special and great. But that's maybe also the reason, why they do it, when one's honest. Because they want to be part of something special.

But where is the main responsibility and risk? Who's head is on the plate? Right, its of those who founded the company, those who design and sell the boards, those put their life savings into it, those who have to survive against Virus, F2, Burton, etc...

I do not exclude myself from that. Me too, I do not bear anything of that. Me too, I wanted to be a little part of swoard. Because it is something special in my eyes. But whether they go bankrupt tomorrow, get super rich, or shutdown, because they need to take care of their families, its nothing I would dare to judge, because its not my place.

From my point of view, it is fantastic, when people go for the unknown. When they follow they visions. If they earn a money, or a lot of money on the way, I respect that even more. Because then, they can ride both worlds. The commercial, where money rules, and the independent, where the creativity and the innovation is the key. I believe that this is possible, and there is nothing wrong, when you cash in, after taking a huge risk.

I do not believe, that extreme carving will become mainstream. Its just too much, one need to invest in terms of skills. You cannot learn it in one day. You buy the board, the binding, and from there, you are alone. From there, you are out there, and you can judge yourself against others, how skilled you are. Its not about what you wear. Its not about your googles. Its not about wheather you smoke a joint on the lift.
Its about how you ride. No safety net there.
Its difficult, it is a struggle. Such things are never mainstream. But such things always attract very special people.

I think, that extremecarving community certainly will grow. My movie may contribute to that a little. That would be an honor, and a justification for the work we put into it. But because of its kind, because of its difficulty, it will stay at a certain size. Like a high-end amplifier or a lamborghini. I have to say, that I like that idea.

@kjl
Although I am honored, that you consider coming to Vegas to see Carved, like you noticed correctly, NABshow is a trade show and not a film festival.

Parts of Carved will be shown there, along with partial footage from the film Jumper, from Stephen Soderbergh's latest films and Ringo Starr's music videos. All shoot on RED ONE. The presentations will be on different booths of companies like RED ONE, Assimilate, SpeedSix, MaxVision, Bluefish and LaserGraphics.

So no, for the "normal" audience, this might not be a good thing. But it certainly is good for the business. And I have to say, that I am very nervous, about how the reactions will be. Its a do or die thing. I am leaving tomorrow morning.

After I have survived that, I will explore all the other options of presentation, like festivals and theaters. Be sure, that I will update my first post with the screening places and dates.

Alright, wish me luck.

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Monday 14 April 2008, 9:36

Best of luck !

Come back with great fame and many good news.
With a Swoard in one hand and a Red in the other, there's nothing you can do but shred like the red riding hood of hell. :twisted:
They're gonna be carved !
Swoard 168M / Undertaker 185 + F2 Race Ti + tuned Raichle 324
Resorts : St Lary / Peyragudes / La Thuile
Carver toute l'année : carveboard.fr

Silber

Post by Silber » Monday 14 April 2008, 10:15

Well, best of luck Jonas! (in bocca la lupo! as we would say in Italy).. !

Franck Lehmans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Franck Lehmans » Monday 14 April 2008, 11:01

Jonas Rejman wrote:Alright, wish me luck.
Wish you luck ! :wink:

Hope you'll have great reactions from the one who will see your film... and I'm quite sure of that ! :bravo:

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

No luck to you Jonas!

Post by Hans » Wednesday 16 April 2008, 0:58

............. you don't need any luck, you already have it. I mean this in a positive way. You know by yourself that you have a good presentation/ film/video overhere that has never done before. The Swoardteam has a fluent unique style/technique that not many other people have on this globe. This short movie will be succesfull. This has to be a blast without any doubt, must see!! Never seen before!

Franck Lehmans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Franck Lehmans » Wednesday 7 May 2008, 9:55

:?: and, What's new ? :?:
Is the film finished ? Did you show it ? What is the feedback ??? etc... :?: :?: :?:

Jonas Rejman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jonas Rejman » Thursday 8 May 2008, 20:42

Hi guys,

I posted something from Vegas, but it seems, I was too drunk to get that straight.

The footage made a good impression. Mostly people did not know what was going on on the screen. A question asked very often, was "How the hell did you shoot that?" A compliment for the Director Of Photography.

We are fighting little delays. I anticipated that, so I stick to my word... it will be ready for winter 2009... No seriously, I will try to get that faster done, of course. For my own sake... :-D

I just put the teaser online. Merry Christmas, Franck its whole 25 seconds long!! :wink:
http://www.jonasrejman.com/carved

There are 2 versions. One that is streaming, and one you can download. Obviously the one for download is in higher quality, for the anal guys among us.

Ok, enjoy!

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

wow :)

Post by nils » Thursday 8 May 2008, 22:24

very very cool :) Jacques looks cool in it :)
Nils

Franck Lehmans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Franck Lehmans » Friday 9 May 2008, 0:07

Jonas Rejman wrote:I just put the teaser online. Merry Christmas, Franck its whole 25 seconds long!! :wink:
Thank's Jonas ! The quality of the images gives a good idea of the rest of the film... It makes me :silly: . I want to see the hole film right now :evil: !!!
The movement beetween Jacques, Patrice and you (the camera) gives a wondefull effect. And to see Jacques's face witch such detail is realy impressioned.