Carved - a short flick about extreme carving

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

Silber

Post by Silber » Friday 4 April 2008, 12:48

Nils, Jonas is probably a great film maker, and, as I stated, good work should be compensated. However, the business plan is flawed. There is no point in delaying selling the dvds if people will not be able to see it in their own movie theatres. There is a financial law that talks about the time value of money which says that is better 1 euro today that 1 euro tomorrow. Plus, considering it is a niche movie based on spectacular scenes and scenery, if it is a good movie, fans of this gendre will be willing to pay to see it on a large theatres screen even if they own it on dvd. At least I would.

Unless you guys in the movie are having sex with Angelina Jolie and Naomi Campbell :pray2: and the movie will be shown in every corner of the earth..and you don't want to ruin us the surprise!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Francesco Swoard (1G175M 3G175M020 e 168H054),Wingergun205,Shaman193,TTubeS1/174GS,F2 (RS183'08 e'06/Lancelot/Slbpfl),Virus (Hurric./Dragon),Pogo (Hardc./Imp.),Burton (FP/Speed/PJ/CustomX),WildDuckFantasy, Duret168, OxygenProton168GS

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

yes

Post by nils » Friday 4 April 2008, 13:14

i see your point but its simple:

step 1: public releases in festivals, tv's etc
once this is done ( it will take a while to organise) and Jonas has time for the step 2 ( release of dvd/blueray etc..) step 2 will come... its basically a schedule based on one person's time possibilities...not just based on commercial/sales plans.. Jonas is going to show the movie at various occasions in order to build up interest/financing for more projects he has, which is totally understandable...and it means he cant be on all fronts..If it was a 10 persons team working on this things would be different indeed...
We should all rejoice there is a movie rather than complain on dates/ availabilities, prices etc...

N

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Friday 4 April 2008, 13:20

I understand the film will be 3 minutes? Its a long way to go to Geneva or Paris or another central Euopean town to watch a fim of 3 minutes length, even if the pictures are extraordinary. Will then Carved be part of a lengthier film of will it be shown together with other action films? It was film called Extreme (or something like that) in Imax quality some years ago. Carved as a part of a similar film might make sense and could be an opportunity to demonstrate our sport to other extreme- or gliding sports' enthusiasts.
harald

Silber

Post by Silber » Friday 4 April 2008, 13:46

Nils,

I am totally thankful to Jonas, don't get me wrong.. but since there is so much hype built around this film (and I didn't realize it was a 3 minutes film) I was just providing some solution that could make everybody happier:

i.e. produce soon the dvd and sell it on the web at 10€ a pop (for 3 minutes I think it's more than fair, it would be an extra premium to Jonas from the EC community for realizing this film) to get some money back fast to recover expenses and then take your time to market it to the theaters (besides, showing that he's sold a lot of copies to a private niche community, thus proving that there exists a serious interest for this product, might help him to get to the mass market).

At the same time he would get free advertisement from the community (if I see it's a great product I would be happy to bring my friends to see it in a theater)
Francesco Swoard (1G175M 3G175M020 e 168H054),Wingergun205,Shaman193,TTubeS1/174GS,F2 (RS183'08 e'06/Lancelot/Slbpfl),Virus (Hurric./Dragon),Pogo (Hardc./Imp.),Burton (FP/Speed/PJ/CustomX),WildDuckFantasy, Duret168, OxygenProton168GS

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Friday 4 April 2008, 14:14

Nils, after how many public releases this video could be avaliable for us? true fans of EC :-) We are working hard to improve our skill to make our riding attract people, so we are help you to extend your market share and become rich and famous :-) so, do you think it`s fair to feed us by your impressions and not give us this tiny movie for reasonable price sooner that 10 month?

P.S. : BTW audi TT is a crapy car, you better to purchase RS8 or Porsche :-)
i`m learning

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

well

Post by nils » Friday 4 April 2008, 15:58

I think there is a misunderstanding about " theater display"...From what we understand the goal is not to distribute the movie in all places etc..but to participate to festivals, special extremesports events etc..and try to maybe get an official public display at one place ( correct me Jonas if i'm wrong)..
The idea is not to tour the planet for ages with theater airing ( would be hard even if the movie was 1.5 hour long...)
Jonas decides what he wants to do :) Lets hope he can release a small teaser clip at some point to you can wait a bit...
Problem with your simulation silber is that 10 euros would be too low price to pay for the DVD itself + packaging + handling...not even talking about refunding the film...
As for the RS8, I'd be happy to try yours starikashka ;)..lets plann a week end in Russia :)
Nils

Silber

Post by Silber » Friday 4 April 2008, 17:35

well, this is a gentlemen's community...then we could pay for downloading it and saving for extra costs....but then, how he's he planning to make money out of it? charging 40€ per 3 minutes...mmm..something is not quite right..help me understand the economics of it, please! Is he planning to win prizes at the festival? Or is this an investment in his future career?

... About touring the festivals...I would like to remind that you guys just won a prize ad the Digifestival in Florence with a carving movie (lifted) after a long time since it was released on the web..

And what length of a teaser can you release for a 3 min work? 10 seconds?

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Friday 4 April 2008, 17:54

harald wrote:I understand the film will be 3 minutes?
No, it is 7 min 32s
(6 min 56 without end credits)

Plus the movie may (later) come together with a "video diary"/"making of"
So it may finally be 40 minutes.

The fact that it's short is good for presentation.
Good for Swoard, good for us, good for promoting the camera, good for promoting the post production tools, good for digital cinema demos and finally good to show what EC is about.
Plus... you don't get bored :lol:
Swoard 168M / Undertaker 185 + F2 Race Ti + tuned Raichle 324
Resorts : St Lary / Peyragudes / La Thuile
Carver toute l'année : carveboard.fr

WokkingMax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: well

Post by WokkingMax » Friday 4 April 2008, 17:57

nils wrote:Problem with your simulation silber is that 10 euros would be too low price to pay for the DVD itself + packaging + handling...not even talking about refunding the film...
8O

Ok, and what about just putting it on youtube?
Quote Fruno: "Weiss einer von euch, was das Wort "Hirnwixerei" bedeutet?"

Virus-CyborgTitanal181 "Blingbling"/Undertaker192 "Sissi"
Deeluxe-Suzuka Thermoflex
Sikaflexed Gloves

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: well

Post by raphael » Friday 4 April 2008, 18:26

WokkingMax wrote:
nils wrote:Problem with your simulation silber is that 10 euros would be too low price to pay for the DVD itself + packaging + handling...not even talking about refunding the film...
8O

Ok, and what about just putting it on youtube?
This is the funniest joke of the day.
(no offense ;) )

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Friday 4 April 2008, 18:29

Guys you should really cool down. 8O

WokkingMax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WokkingMax » Friday 4 April 2008, 18:30

no offense taken! :D but it wasn't meant as a joke :roll:
Quote Fruno: "Weiss einer von euch, was das Wort "Hirnwixerei" bedeutet?"

Virus-CyborgTitanal181 "Blingbling"/Undertaker192 "Sissi"
Deeluxe-Suzuka Thermoflex
Sikaflexed Gloves

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Friday 4 April 2008, 18:37

Silber wrote: Or is this an investment in his future career?
It is investment for everybody involved.
There is no chance at all to win enough money on this to refund what it costed.

The economics of distribution on this are very clear:
Making a dvd costs time and money. Same with blueray. Same with downloadable media.
Right now we don't have money nor time.

So we concentrate on normal schedule.
Some people helped on this with clear identified interests, like for exemple the post production system that's showcased in vegas at NAB.
Right now the movie as to be ready for presentation and it takes night and days. So don't expect any dvd from a not even already finished movie.
This is not as easy or as fast as posting some cellphone images on youtube.

Be patient, you'll see it.

But be patient. :wink:

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Friday 4 April 2008, 18:57

WokkingMax wrote:no offense taken! :D but it wasn't meant as a joke :roll:
I kind of guessed that.

But do you realize how much work it is to make a normal video look not too bad on youtube ?
It took me 24 hours to make a correct export of Zinal ECS 4 video on youtube.
And the result is an insult to the original version, or even the divX version. Most of the effects don't work anymore, you don't see people faces when its intended, you don't have any feeling for the space. You don't feel in Zinal at all.

Now think of it:
Zinal ECS 4 video is not very well edited, nor very well shot, the images are miniDV quality ... and youtube is already a problem (well not even one but tons of problems actually).
Carved is 2K and 4k images (32 times bigger than miniDV), it is very well shot, the lighting is very good, the editing is carefully done, the soundtrack will be very fine. It is intended for viewing on huge theatre screens (yeah not little movie theatre at the corner, aim for biggest screens at your multiplex). On these screens the images will make you feel like you really are on the slopes...
... and you ask wether we can put it on 320x240 12 images per second very low bandwith very crappy codec with mono 22khz mp3 sound... 8O

There is just no need to use such a camera for that.
It will just look like any cellularphone images. (almost :P )

I know we are used today with more ease of use and versatility... but this is cinema, you know.

Didn't mean to be patronizing or sarcastic.

Cheers :wink:

Jonas Rejman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jonas Rejman » Friday 4 April 2008, 19:19

Well, we edited out the love scene between Angelina and Kate. Kate bailed out in the very last minute.

It really was not my fault, that Kate got pissed, just because I slept with Angelina, while Kate was waiting in a restaurant for me. Girls!

Anyway, we go for theaters/festivals first. Then DVD/Bluray for those who understand that low volume dictates higher prices. Yes, we will try to earn money with it, before we give it away for free.

Yeah, its only 7 minutes. You can ignore it and go for a crazy extreme carving ride instead. I do not mind.
I combined my passion for filmmaking with my new passion for extreme carving. I had the honor to meet incredible people along this creation process. I will never forget that. I am incredible happy. I put a lot of money down, almost killed myself, but it was an incredible ride. It was sooo worth it.

I will certainly not spoil the fun now, having discussions about how badass I am, that i want to charge you guys more for an evt. DVD/Bluray, than what you pay for high volume productions.

Silber, if you can afford to work and do not need to make money while doing that, my congratulations. For the rest of us, common economic laws apply. It certainly has nothing to do with lack of spirit, passion, community support, whatever. Only with the fact, that we do not live in a purple, nice and shiny world of Barbie.