Carbon fiber parts

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

radcarving
Rank 0
Rank 0

Carbon fiber parts

Post by radcarving » Saturday 14 June 2003, 19:17

The ATC Matrix system is implemented by building several carbon fiber parts that are machined with a high accuracy (+ - 2/100 of a mm!). Once they are incorporated into a very high quality wood core, they stiffen targeted areas of the board such that when the board is under strain, it is forced to bend according to a defined geometry. As a result the board is "captive" of this "matrix".
Jack and Pat
What carbon fiber? how many parts? and what is the wood core used?
Thank you very much?
Happy carving

Arjan do you Kama?
rad carving rocks

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

hehe !

Post by nils » Sunday 15 June 2003, 11:43

Rad,
We will not explain it more than what u just quoted for obvious reasons, but it is there that lies part of the excellent grip and carving abilities of the Swoard.

As for material, the wood core is discribed in the same part of the site, and carbon is just carbon :)> high end composite material with epoxy resin
N.

fabricant.planche
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fabricant.planche » Tuesday 24 June 2003, 10:48

Hey RAD
THERE IS A FEW OPTION....
TORSION FORKS
torsion forks extend from the middle of the inserts to the contact points.
EXTERNAL TORSION FORKS
Milled into the core creating fiberglass I beams allowing more torsional strength for edge hold and increases tip/tail stiffness for higher ollies.
CARBON TORSION FORKS
Carbon strips put in the tip and tails extending from the inserts to the contact points. Carbon power from your feet for bigger ollies as well as a torsionally softer middle for more forgiveness and less heelside slams.
TRIDENT CARBON TORSION FORKS
Same as carbon torsion forks but we add an additional carbon strip down the center of the tip and tail for even more snap and strength.
FIBER GLASS
All of our glass is stitched not woven to eliminate heavy un-wanted resin pockets that change board flex and making them brittle. Stitched glass is more consistent for reliable repeatable flex patterns. Glass types can be used separately or in conjunction to maximize performance.
Biaxial Fiberglass
0 and 90° directional strands. Torsionally softer glass for lightweight durability with a forgiving flex.
Triaxial Fiberglass
45° / 90° / +45° three separate strands of glass that act as beams to relay rider input into the board. More angles give more response from your board and greater edge to edge control. Lightweight durability with added torsional strength.
Carbon / Kevlar Matrix
Lighter wood cores require the additional strength and energy from man-made materials. We use strips of Carbon and Kevlar placed on opposite sides of the core. Kevlar on base for strength and Carbon on top for overall torsional rigidity, strength, durability and liveliness.
CORES
Each one is made with full-length tip to tail laminates in engineered combinations that maximize both durability and strength to weight ratio. Full-length wood cores offer proven durability and consistent flex. They resist break down and retain camber to perform at the same level on your 100th day as on your first.
STANDARD - proven
LIGHT - 14% lighter than the standard core
SUPERLIGHT - 22% lighter than our standard core
ULTRALIGHT - 30% lighter than our standard
BI-POLAR CORE - (Two cores - together as one)
Two independent core materials (Primary wood and a composite secondary core) joined at the neutral axis by an Elastomer layer. They act in tandem, creating a consistent flex with the dampest (Composite secondary core) and liveliest (primary wood core) combination on the market. What you get is increased control at higher speeds with a consistent natural flex pattern for full arc turning.
BASES
Extruded 1500 Highly wax absorbent, durable, yet easy to repair. An industry standard.
Extruded 2000 25% higher molecular weight than extruded 1500 for more durability and speed. Easy to tune and repair.
4000 Sintered Highest molecular weight available for the fastest and most durable. Retains wax longer for consistent performance.
4000 Gallium Same as 4000 sintered with the addition of graphite and gallium metal. Gallium conducts heat caused by friction with the snow and dissipates it away from the surface of the base cooling it thus lowering the amount of friction. Less friction = more speed. Graphite neutralizes the electro-static charges that are created through friction.
4000 Ceramic The performance of the 4000 Gallium plus the addition of ceramic, which resists abrasions, so less wear on your base for more durability and longer wax retention.
4000 CGX The newest and best performing base material ever made. The same 4000 Ceramic is infused with wax that is a structural part of the base. Always waxed always fast.

MAN A LOT OF SWON WHERE ON THIS SIDE OF THE WORLD....

fabriquer a fond la caisse

NateW
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NateW » Tuesday 24 June 2003, 22:00

Sounds like someone has been reading the K2 web site...
http://www.k2snowboards.com/newsite/Gea ... boards.asp

ablazespy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Finally Fab has proven himself!!

Post by ablazespy » Tuesday 24 June 2003, 22:34

Finally Fab has proven himself, he is full of S...(fill in the dots)! :evil: :evil:

Sorry for offending anybody with this, but I am getting so tired of this guy screaming he is a know it all. He just knows how to use google and how to CLTR+C it to this forum. Go away fab!! please do us al a favour!!!

For Rad: read all the info on the internet including http://www.grafsnowboards.com for good advice on how to build a board that will be the first step for your own inventions or combining others into snowboard production... let your fantasy be the limit......

keep on Carving and like Patrice said to me last time
"Let the summer be short!!" :wink:

Tim
Rank 3
Rank 3

torsion bullshit

Post by Tim » Tuesday 24 June 2003, 22:35

Too bad, but torsion forks are a rather ineffective for increasing the torsional stiffness of a board. Torsion forks do more for the longitudinal stiffness than for the torsion stiffness. Probably the most important reason of their use: It looks good.

My guess is that they use carbon to reinforce the weakest link in the torsional stiffness of a sandwich board: the sidewall.

I did exactly the same on the second board I built last winter, and I could tell the difference. The boards I built were both very good by the way. Very very stable, much better than my oxygen proton. The next boards I will make a bit softer as these feel a bit stiff. In fact they are softer than my proton, but due to the torsional stiffness and the different flex pattern they feel stiffer.

BTW I was a bit sceptical about all the halleluja stories about the swoard boards on this site and I could hardly believe that they were so much better than other boards, but after I experienced what my own boards could do (the first two I ever built!) I think there is still a lot to be gained in snowboard development.

clip of me on the first board I built

Tim

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Hallelujah

Post by nils » Wednesday 25 June 2003, 1:09

Tim,
I agree with you: a lot can still be done in this field ( construction)
As for hallelujah stories: I thought my Proton was very good until i tried the first production proto (which is far less good than the production board) and found myself riding something never ridden before... I have ridden many boards since 1988 when I started, and am glad I found what i was looking for. (Am part of Swoard but would say the same if I wasn't). I have had the same feeling when i first rode my 196 swallowtail from Kafi in deep Powder> Never before, Never again on crappy tools!

Now the stories that are written in the forum by Swoard users ( some may call them clients, we prefer to call them lucky fellow believers ) are uncensored, unguided and published by their owners as is. Swoard story is at the begining, and we can only thank those who trusted the passion shared here, enough to wire money for a product most never got the chance to ride or even see in real before. They have proven to make the right choice it seems by reading the comments :) They are our best reward!

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Wednesday 25 June 2003, 13:00

Tim,
Too bad, but torsion forks are a rather ineffective for increasing the torsional stiffness of a board. Torsion forks do more for the longitudinal stiffness than for the torsion stiffness. Probably the most important reason of their use: It looks good.
You are absolutely right! Torsion forks are not "torsion" at all. They are just marketing because people can see this "improvement" in the surf shop.

Jacques

radcarving
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by radcarving » Thursday 26 June 2003, 1:45

Thanks for your answers guys.
Fabricant you're trouble. I know for a fact, all the French Canadian's here are talking about your crazy boards but getting into fights in bars and clubs doesn't represent our sport very well. Go to your Tai boxing in Tailand.
Well I don't think the Swoard is for me because there are too many mysteries of how it's made. Thanks for your advice and the web site. I am going to build my own board too.
Keep on carving.

Radcarver
rad carving rocks

fabricant.planche
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fabricant.planche » Thursday 26 June 2003, 5:54

ablazespy wrote:Finally Fab has proven himself, he is full of S...(fill in the dots)!

Sorry for offending anybody with this, but I am getting so tired of this guy screaming he is a know it all. He just knows how to use google and how to CLTR+C it to this forum. Go away fab!! please do us al a favour!!!
I think it is a good technical write up about different idea from a really good manufacturer. One of my body ride a k2 proto with integretate plate inside the wood core and it's a great board. Why do you always bit up other manufacturer? You're not the only one to know everything about carving board making!
ablazespy you've got to relax and accept challenging ideas even if you think they are bad and stupid!. This forum was created for everybody to write their mind. I got a lots of privat E-mail from people that agree with me and some that desagree.
People who agree with me don't want to get in this debate because they thinks it's a WASTE Of TIME to post with idio like you.
For the ones who desagree in private they sometime have intresting concept and they realy strait with me without you're of annoying complaining.
Chao.

fabricant.planche
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fabricant.planche » Thursday 26 June 2003, 6:02

Radcarver wrote:Thanks for your answers guys.
Fabricant you're trouble. I know for a fact, all the French Canadian's here are talking about your crazy boards but getting into fights in bars and clubs doesn't represent our sport very well. Go to your Tai boxing in Tailand.
Well I don't think the Swoard is for me because there are too many mysteries of how it's made. Thanks for your advice and the web site. I am going to build my own board too.
My bad I shouln't go to snowboarding shops and get a fight. It won't happen again.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

St Thomas

Post by nils » Thursday 26 June 2003, 11:53

Too many mysteries on how it is made ??
People protecting construction process in any field are mysterious??

To paraphrase St Thomas: " To try is to believe ". Meaning try the board, make your own opinion. I know its hard to do since there are not so many Swoards out there but this is the only way you will get the particular ride the board gives.
N.

ablazespy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Wise words!

Post by ablazespy » Thursday 26 June 2003, 12:52

fabricant.planche wrote:I think it is a good technical writte up about different idea from a really good manufacturer. One of my body ride a k2 proto with integretate plate inside the wood core and it's a great board. Why do you always bit up other manufacturer? You're not the only one to know everything about carving board making!
ablazespy you've got to relax and accept challenging ideas even if you think they are bad and stupid!. This forum was created for everybody to write their mind. I got a lots of privat E-mail from people that agree with me and some that desagree
People who agree with me don't want to get in this debate because they thinks it's a WASTE Of TIME to post with idio like you.
For the ones who desagree in private they sometime have intresting concept and they realy strait with me without you're of annoying complaining.
OK I will use a constructive way to explain what I told you before. First of all I am not complaining. But you copy and paste information without saying where it is from and proven is that this system does not work in the best way for torsional stifness!! I have ridden K2 and their boards are fine that is not the problem, but they are not suitable for EC, why do you think??????.

For the next thing I have never said that I am a know it all about carving and making boards. For a fact I have still a lot to learn.
fabricant.planche wrote:This forum was created for everybody to write their mind.
My answer was what was on my mind at that moment! If you think I am an idio that is you freedom of thinking. But please if you make a post like this give prove or say where you got the information from this way it just looks to me you rip information and talk without saying anything.

So please I dare you make a post with your own thoughts on how you should construct a EC board. And I am not saying you should reveal any misterious inventions, because J&P don't either. If you can prove yourself I will even try a board of you and if it is good, I will let the whole world know, also on this forum. Till that time I will stick to what I have written before..

Live and Let Live in the carving community! :wink: :wink:
Greetz Ablazespy :lol: