Swoard Test from a narrow minded carver

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

WokkingMax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WokkingMax » Sunday 4 November 2007, 19:58

Ed wrote:Skywalker - is that you, Mäxle :?:
Nope, Skywlaker is Skywalker aka Tom (The guy with that yellow board at Silvretta Nova)

<- "Mäxle", hoping to see you soon!
Quote Fruno: "Weiss einer von euch, was das Wort "Hirnwixerei" bedeutet?"

Virus-CyborgTitanal181 "Blingbling"/Undertaker192 "Sissi"
Deeluxe-Suzuka Thermoflex
Sikaflexed Gloves

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Sunday 4 November 2007, 22:43

Felix wrote:Use one board and stop progressing.
To get things right: We are not talking about Sigi Grabner, but about Ed and you.

Changing boards all the time has made you an extremely good carver in all conditions. Staying on one board has made Ed a lousy carver, not able to do anything properly. Right? :lol:

skywalker
free extreme carving

luomu
Rank 4
Rank 4

Swoard test / narrow vs. wide

Post by luomu » Monday 4 February 2008, 9:33

Hi. After reading this thread, I felt compelled to share my experiences trying out the swoard, too.
For the past years I was into the narrowish board style (anything wider than 18cm and I wasn't interested),depending on the day and the positions of Mars and Venus I would choose a Donek GS 180, a softer Choc 175 or a Trans Bastard 171 (it's not quite a Plasma but I felt ok with it on not too icy slopes and a conshox plate helps, too).
I'm not an olympic race boarder. In fact, I might actually be a really shitty rider, since I don't have too much people to compare with where I'm living. So at this point,if You feel I should not have posted, I'm sorry. :roll:

A year ago I tried the swoard for the first time (along with a few other boards), but only for a few rides on a slope that was not steep enough.
The conclusion of this 'test' was that I could not make any conclusions with this short tryout. But for some reason the idea of a wider board stuck in my brain - this could be different!

For this season I got me a 1st gen. 175M. I had been reading through this forum and checked the videos beforehand and started testing with an open mind (I wasn't expecting to get the wide board working with the same technique as the narrow..). For the wide ship dock that the board was, it felt.. easy. You could start trying it a bit like a freestyle board and when you put pressure on the cant, it just pulled you through the turn. My impression was there's something really right with the form.
Since the first day I've had no more problems figuring out the position of the planets. The swoard has worked (for me) the best on soft slopes, steep slopes, icy slopes and so on. Of the last 30 snow days, I've spent around 25 on the swoard (some on skis and some on telemarks, and just about one on a soft board, since we really don't get 'dumps' here in the north).

It seems the wide board and the style related to riding it is what I have been looking for.

I still have some trouble finding the style and position for the back cant to get it like you guys do on the pics posted here, but I'm hoping to get some help in the ECS.

Cheers and sorry!

skidding on a bastard last season;
sliding on a swoard this season
I really do prefer the latter one (and based on the last picture I wouldn't call the swoard stiff at all :wink: )

Oh, I'm 186cm/86kg and getting the 3rd gen. 175H for Zinal.
Thanks!