Reports about the SWOARD Extremecarver

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Reports about the SWOARD Extremecarver

Post by fivat » Friday 23 February 2007, 11:00

It's well known in marketing: people who are unhappy (because of a late delivery or because of a rare warranty question for example) are much more visible than the customers happy with their purchase (20 times more... along to some studies). 8O

So I would like to see the customers happy with their Swoard a bit more visible on the Forum. If they could write more brief reports, that would be cool! 8) During the ECS, I have heard so many super compliments about the Swoard. :D There are people who are total fans, who don't want anything else, who say that they have improved incredibly :twisted: , etc. but they don't write it on the Forum. :cry:

In brief, I would be very happy to see a bit more reports. It's also a way to motivate your lovely Swoard Team. :oops: Thanks in advance!

Patrice Fivat

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Friday 23 February 2007, 13:33

Hi Patrice,
I can take the challenge and start. By a friend I was persuaded to begin carving in my late 50s. I started on a giant slalom board and with ski boots and that was not a very good combination. However, I took a couple of private lessons, bought hardboots and improved so I managed the easy (green) and medium (easy red) pretty. I was when I saw Extremecarver (Opus 1), I said "wow, that is the way I want to carve" so I bought my first Swoard i 2003. That, together with the instructions of J&P and the videos boosted my progress. I never thougth it was possible to carve slopes like le Col, but now it works fine on good days. After I received my first Swoard I have tried to convince all the carvers that I know to buy a Swoard. We are 6 Swoard owners in Oslo now and they all tell the same thing. Swoard have helped them a lot in progressing (almost everybody is helping grooming the slopes) and they really love their Swoard. Due to the Swoard, videos and EC session I think I still is improving in the age of over 60 :D .
harald

vkrouverk
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by vkrouverk » Friday 23 February 2007, 20:25

I totally agree about studies part: if one visits any product forum, then most of posts are there about flaws in product and reports from happy users/owners are minority.
However, I'd like to thank Swoard team about the trend they created, not necessarily about the Swoard board:
Before Sword "era" hardbooting seemed to be only about narrow (i.e. <19 cm waist width) boards and athletic (race/bomber) riding style, fun factor was something to consider in second/third/fourth order. And this was thing that most people looked at like they look at penguins: this is not for me, this is for individuals from other continent (Antarctica).
Etremecarving concept created a little revolution IMO: it showed people that there are elegant (but not necessarily most effective) ways to ride steep slopes down and with proper equipment and technique this is achievable for everyone. One does not have to have Swoard to do it, but with right equipment it's much more enjoyable: IMO in case of snowboarding fun factor is the most important parameter and there is no fun during ride then no need to snowboard either.
I know that this whole concept of pre-rotation and laying down wasn't new before EC site launching and Swoard production: IIRC CERN snowboarding site (and Swiss snowboarding school) propagated this style years ago and pureboarding team (from german-speaking part of Switzerland) also used prerotation technique in their teaching.
However IMO Opus videos were the ones, which brought back grace and style to carving: nice style according to manifesto's Gesture Purity (
https://www.extremecarving.com/philo/gesture.html) and Rotation (https://www.extremecarving.com/philo/rotation.html) gave targets for others to achieve and repeat. And this, accompanied with production of Swoard boards (which didn't went quite smoothly and seems to have production problems even now) and organization of EC sessions in Zinal created revolution in hardbooting, which could be compared to revolution in snowboard production for race (created by Kessler with their titanal boards) but with much broader impact globe-wise: now almost every board-producing company has wide (21-23 cm waist width) and longitudionally soft board in production. And this is good IMO, as this allows to brings back grace and style to snowboarding (as snowboarding is not about drops, spins and rails only after all :P).
And in addition to all above mentioned Swoard team seems to be responsible for organizing the truly international carving event with their ECS ( I know that pureboarding had their sessions and some other groups had local events, but ECS seems to be single and only event to unite all carvers across Europe and even further).
Of course all the above doesn't mean that I want to downplay Swoard boards significance. Quite the opposite: if it had performed below expectations, then I'd be the first person to complain probably, as I'm from EU's "developing country" and paying "arm and leg" for bad board would be quite bad investment for me :D
P.S. I really understand and appreciate the significance of positive feedback after last ECS: I received quite a few positive feedbacks from the people I photographed and this probably made my coworkers to think that I become lunatic after my vacation, as there is no grumpy employee anymore, instead I grin from ear to ear all the time :D
Thus in order to show that I learned from this I must say that I thank all the people who worked with Swoard production and organizing this event. I have really waited this event (is it sufficient to say, that my previous snowboarding before ECS 2007 was in Zinal 2006, week after ECS session?)
For those, who prefer short version of my quite long posting: long live Swoard, long live Swoard team!
Converting potential energy to kinetic..

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: Austria, but moedling near vienna, bloody 1 hour drive to semmering or rax

Post by Felix » Saturday 24 February 2007, 22:17

I'll write a more extensive review later, probabely next season as this season seems to come to an end here with the warm weather, and its FEB.

All I can say is that the Swoard is great for carving and versatile enough, more than I would have thought. It has great, great great edgehold and just feels ride. I can't ride it with Pull-Push though, with Push-Pull its good though.

Unluckily I haven't ridden mine yet, only 2 testboards at the ECS.
The Swoard is my most expensive board until now (400CHF for a used board in good condition but with pretty run down edges). All my other GS or BX I didn't pay as much for them, even though I bought them new. I wouldn't have paid that much if I weren't sure it's a great board.

(Today I have had my worst race since longtime, a slalom, first run I tried on a Freestyle board - very bad decision, second run I took my GS board. I managed to get the radius down but then I fell two times and was way off target - must get a slalom board ASAP to complement my quiver. Will join lower Austrian/Vieannease race team soon.).
Swoard 3D - 168M
http://Openmtbmap.org - get the most popular maps for Mountainbiking in Europe...

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Positive Feedback

Post by cmachine » Saturday 10 March 2007, 13:45

Just my little summary:

I'm riding the SWOARD 2D 175s. And I'm actually also riding the "Goltes Extreme Carve 171".

I just came back from 1 week riding and I have to say that for EC-style, the SWOARD beats all the boards I tried by far!!!

There are things that are done much better by other boards, but for the fully laid turns I still think the SWOARD is the best.

The Goltes by example is a very versatile board (more than the SWOARD in my opinion), but if you try to lay it down, you really understand why Jacques states that the nose-shape of the SWOARD ist so important.
The SWOARD cuts really all and remains stable in deep turns, other boards loose stability at the nose part - which kills the deep turn.

Of course, there are things that could be done better - but this is not about this thread.

Thanks again to J&P&N (not only for the board, but also for the new style and the new dynamic in hb)

O

PS: And of course I also worried very much about delivery time - but this is just a result of the SWOARDs success.

Whitey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Whitey » Friday 16 March 2007, 13:56

Hi,

to me, riding a Swoard is the same than hardbooting. Besides of Swoard, I have ridden only one another alpine board, and for quite a short time. Therefore, I really can't compare it with other alpine boards. And I don't even want to, because Swoard is all I need. If you want to call me a fanatic, that's OK with me. I don't mind, I don't care. To be honest, I love it :wink: