First pic of the Westphal Extremecarver !!!

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

Tim
Rank 3
Rank 3

First pic of the Westphal Extremecarver !!!

Post by Tim » Monday 3 February 2003, 23:10

Because I had no faith in Jacques' snowboard building skills ( just kidding :lol: ) I decided to built a board myself. Here is the result!

Specs:
length: 180cm
eff. edge: 160cm
radius: 14m
waist widht: 22cm
binding stance: 500mm
setback: 10mm

Further features: sandwich construction, 50%carbon/40%glass/10%dyneema laminate for high torsional stiffness and longitudinal flexability. Dyneema fibre dampening. Theoretical derived flex pattern based upon a numerical calculation.

I did not give the board serious testing yet, I only had the chance to test it on an indoor slope which was very bumpy and far too short for serious carving, but I managed to lay down some carves and it felt good :) . Serious testing will have to wait until the end of march when I'll be in obertauern(austria) for a week.

Image[/img]
Tim Westphal

Carve diem!

ablazespy
Rank 5
Rank 5

The second brand!

Post by ablazespy » Tuesday 4 February 2003, 11:38

Hi Tim,

You are faster than I thought, I am Dènis aka Ablazespy one of the co builders near you(also from grafsnow). It looks great my board is almost finished. may be we could exchange ideas soon when we all meet! keep it going and let us know your testing results. A question how did you make the top sheet?

greetz ablazespy 8) 8) 8) 8)

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

impressed :)

Post by nils » Tuesday 4 February 2003, 13:39

pretty cool :) not sure i like the color design but ;) no worries...
as for fabrication, did u use press or vacuum? also what is your third material, never heard of it... any pics of the making process?
same question for the top sheet... looks like paint no?

nils

MennoB
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by MennoB » Tuesday 4 February 2003, 15:05

Dyneema is a "super--fiber" made by the (dutch) company DSM.

http://www5.dsm.com/en_US/html/search/s ... xt=dyneema

Material characteristics are somewhat comparable to Kevlar.
Very good at impact resistance. That's why it is used in:
-bulletproof vests
-bulletproof cabin-doors in areoplanes (measures due to september 11th...)

Material characteristics are very good, but cutting it requires special cutting equipment.

Starboard uses Dyneema in some of their windsurf-boards.
http://www.star-board.com/mn_tech.asp

Tim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tim » Tuesday 4 February 2003, 15:58

I used vacuum for fabrication. Dyneema is a fibre material made of UHMWPE (which is in fact the same material as the base) made by a special technique. It is one of the strongest fibres, probalbly the strongest that's commercially available.The reason I used it is that beside high strength it also provides a lot of dampening. As far as I know it has never been used for skis or snowboards before so it is purely experimental. If it works the great thing would be that one material provides both strenght and dampening, so you can save weight.

I forgot to take pics during manufacturing of the board, but I will built a board for a friend of mine very soon and will take pics then.

The top is indeed paint. I had some trouble finding a suitable topsheet material and decided to wait no longer and just laminated without a topsheet. I used hardwearing polyurethane yacht paint to get some scratching resistance, but sadly enough it was only available in very few colours in small quantities. I did not bother much with it anyway, because I will probably build an improved board for next year once I found the weaknesses of this design.
Tim Westphal

Carve diem!

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Tuesday 4 February 2003, 16:32

Hi Tim,

Congratulaion, your board looks really professional made.
The nose looks a little bit like our SWOARD :wink:

Dyneema has already been used years ago in skis (Dynastar but I'm not sure any more).
The long kitesurf lines are made in dyneema.

Perhaps I should try this in the ATC Matrix.

Jacques

Tim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tim » Tuesday 4 February 2003, 21:08

I know some companies have used dyneema, the nidecker concept listed something like CARBON/KEVLAR/DYNEEMA on the topsheet. But usually the only put very very little of these materials in a board, just to be able to claim it on the topsheet. I have doubts if it was used by any company in significant quantities. The professor who supervised my graduation project works at DSM high performance fibers (where dyneema is made) and het did not hear of such.

The use of dyneema requires some care. Although it is very strong in tension, it has very low compression strength, so it is only effective if you use it in places that are loaded in tension only. Furthermore it has very poor bonding, so it requires special care. So I doubt it will be usefull to use in the ATC matrix.

Tim
Tim Westphal

Carve diem!

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Tuesday 4 February 2003, 21:26

Hi Tim,
But usually the only put very very little of these materials in a board, just to be able to claim it on the topsheet.
I'm sure you are right!
The use of dyneema requires some care. Although it is very strong in tension, it has very low compression strength, so it is only effective if you use it in places that are loaded in tension only.
Thanks for the info. the ATC Matrix needs a material with a quite symetric elasticity modulus as it works both in compression and tension.

The Kevlar has this same asymetrical property and this is the reason of their excellent dampening caracteristics.
Furthermore it has very poor bonding, so it requires special care.
Yes it's very difficult to stick polyethylen (the base material).

Jacques