Spending a week with an EC board

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Spending a week with an EC board

Post by nils » Thursday 2 January 2003, 14:19

I have just spent a week riding the first production prototype ( the bit too stiff one)... and wanted to share my impressions here so everyone knows how things turn out in real...

background: as explained earlier, its the 175/23,1/13,3m radius board, first off press, that came out bit stiff due to excessive core thickness, and with a reduced edge lenght, due to misalignment of the nose curve at the time of press...(nose scoop begins to early). All these things are now corrected, and the first real production board (with color/logos etc) will be just perfect.

I am in Verbier now, and snow conditions vary from fresh powder over tracked pow, to groomed slopes with hard bottom. I have resisted the urge to ride my swallowtail powboard to ride the EC board in the fresh pow too! ( give me a medal!!)

The first week end riding it was kinda tiring, because my legs were still unused to turning such a wide board, but it goes better with the time and feels ok now after 7 days...
The board handles all kinds of snows, and i found myself laying down trenches where the slope was very cold, icy and the sound of skiiers was like a fork on a porcelain plate... i was the only living thing around able to cut the skin of the slope at that times... and this is where the amazing thing comes out from this test period: the edge grip! I have discussed it before, Jacques and Patrice too, but the very special thing about the board is the fantastic edge grip that the extremities of the board has... I will shoot a videoclip of a static simulation of how much grip you can get when just pushing on the feet while seated on snow on flat steep slope to show the grip. The board is able to support pressure on both feet, meeting the turning radius it is designed for without skidding while beeing just pushed at a 90° angle to the snow...
I can only say every one should try that test with their boards:
- sit on snow
- push legs trying to reach the point where all edge is in contact with the snow and see where the tips of the board slide and when... the EC board I have now is holding all the way to the contact with the snow, both tips holding huge pressures but not skidding..( I had to have someone push me a bit for i am too light to push it fully )..

> this grip makes the ride, especially backside, a total new experience: the board's nose tip grips the snow smoothly but surely, making it possible to lay 360°s backside like they are easy ( almost hehe)...

Powder: the width makes it fun to ride it in pow, the nose is still too flat to call it a pow board thu ! but its possible, quite cool, and way better than with a regular race board.. my friend rode a 164 factory prime, and he was sinking, having to fight in each turn not to dive under !

> moguls: i hate moguls, but sacrificed myself once more here: board is a bit too stiff to really be versatile in moguls.. i guess the softer flex will make it easier, but why would a carver ride moguls anyway ;) Patrice and Jacques have fun in moguls with their EC boards.. kinda strange no? :)

more to come when i try the 175 midflex, the best match for my size/weight !

Just to add something: the EC board should be called versatile board.. it carves normal turn, high speed turns, EC turns, powder turns, slow turns, small jumps etc.... way better than my beloved Proton...
This to show that people should be aware that it is not just a board to lay down on the snow!! I'd love to have the feedback of someone actually racing it in gates!!! can't wait! but am sure it will do good...

nils

neil_swingler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Durability?

Post by neil_swingler » Saturday 4 January 2003, 19:36

This is all too much Nils ;-)

I snapped the tail on My F2 Boxer powder board today so now I only have
my 18cm waisted Mistral Sonic to use on my holiday next week - pray
for hard pistes. I wasn't too distressed know that I have the excuse to
buy a new board.

Which brings me to a point about repairability. I have know killed 2
boards (cracked edge on the other) and wonder what the durability will be
like on the EC board.

- Neil

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

EC Board durability

Post by nils » Sunday 5 January 2003, 22:33

The board is made using the workshop and craftmanship of a well known swiss snowboard brand, the construction is flawless and we will pay great attention at quality control, for which Jacques will personnaly check each board flex, and construction before shipping.

As for durability; the board I rode and still ride is still in perfect shape and looks like new. However, and we will precise this when it is all ready: in order to reduce weight and prevent delam to occur because of vibrations, the board has no metal part in the tail, and is very fragile to dings that can occur when the board is held vertically on concrete for example... This is NOT a board that should be hammered against floor to get all snow to fall down from the bindings.... Actually it is a special board, and needs special treatment, like holding it off ground when walking, protecting the base against you from people when taking an overcrowded lift etc... On the snow it is just like any other board; avoid stones and rocks and it will last for years...

Nils

neil_swingler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by neil_swingler » Monday 6 January 2003, 14:25

So the EC board would make a good only board where powder days are
fairly infrequent.

Will there be any possibility to test it (before the proposed EC meeting).

Neil

amok196
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pictures of the boards

Post by amok196 » Wednesday 8 January 2003, 11:07

Nils

Would it be possible to include pictures of the production EC boards on the Web, Including their exact caracteristics, like written on the previous post message ?

regards

Xavier