EC Board specifications?

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

ReneRyeLarsen
Rank 0
Rank 0

EC Board specifications?

Post by ReneRyeLarsen » Sunday 29 December 2002, 20:48

Hi,
I am very curious if you could disclose some information on the extreme carving boards - length, running length, waist width and sidecut radius?

And at the same time - what board (of the 9 models you appear to have) would fit a rider with the following vital stats: 85 kg, 188 cm?

Regards
René Rye Larsen

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Monday 30 December 2002, 16:15

Hi René,

We are going to put all that on new pages.

Meanwhile, here are those you are asking about:

length / running length / waist width / sidecut radius
161 cm / 142 cm / 21 cm / 12.1 m
168 cm / 149 cm / 22.1 cm / 12.7 m
175 cm / 156 cm / 23.1 cm / 13.3 m

With 188 cm/85 kg, you will fit the 175 with medium flex.

Jacques

Mike
Rank 3
Rank 3

hello

Post by Mike » Sunday 19 January 2003, 10:38

so what kind of bindings should i get with your boards and what kind of boots thanks

mike

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

boots and bindings

Post by nils » Tuesday 21 January 2003, 22:22

Mike,
As for the boots, J and P use northwave boots that are stiff, and where the forward flex is controlled by a spring. I personnaly use very soft shell with hard injected foam (raichle SB121 ) and find them very good too ( the flex is done by the shell itself ( plastic tongue bends ) its not really 'controlled'.. There are many brands on the market: hard shells with no flex control system such as springs, shells with springs ( raichle ), etc.. so you have to try different solutions to suit your needs....
Same goes for bindings: very stiff or softer solution....? We don't have the answer yet. Jacques likes to have the boot lateraly free on the board so that he can vary weight position on the board, and he looses the bindings a bit. I tight them hard, but the looseness is given by my vibram soles that also absorb vibrations if any left.
To make things short, we prefer solutions that are not stiff everywhere, where racers might prefer stiff boards/boots/bindings... this doesn't suit the EC riding so we don't use it...

nils

Mike
Rank 3
Rank 3

bindings

Post by Mike » Wednesday 22 January 2003, 6:22

okay nils so what type of bindings im starting to understand what you goes are saying...so where should i start to look at bindings you said that you dont want stiff bindings but you guys used bomber bindings...so are those bindings anygood..since the bindings you guys are useing they dont make anymore have you tested any other bindings out there

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

bindings

Post by nils » Wednesday 22 January 2003, 8:59

well I use bomber and lock them tight since my boots are soft and have vibram soles... theboot does all the flex / loose thing to move over the board lateraly. Jacques also uses bomber, and the Head plates, that are looser and not as stiff..both work but he uses the bomber not fully tight so he gets lateral looseness. I prefer the philosophy of getting looseness on the boot alone, rather than from the binding ( loose binding always scare me , i feel they are going to open themselves when i don't want them to..)

Before that, J and P used burton bails over Fin (not bomber owner but a french brand) carbon plates... they had enough flex for the looseness they looked for..

NateW
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NateW » Thursday 23 January 2003, 5:02

loose binding always scare me , i feel they are going to open themselves when i don't want them to..

They's because they DO open themselves. I've even had that problem with tight Bombers. Mine only ever released when landing big jumps on flat ground (which is no fun to begin with), but it was enough to make me worry all the time. Loose bindings = big scary surprise.

Jacques, have you considered Raichle boots with the cant adjusters loosened up to get the lateral flex you want? (My cant adjusters all stripped out on their own anyhow!)

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Thursday 23 January 2003, 14:46

Hi Nate,

The problem when the boots take the lateral softness is the safety of the ankles.
Imagine you are in a High G prontside turn and your edge meets a hole or a little hard heep. The boot will bend a lot and may hurt your ankle very hard.

This happened to me when I had Raichles 325 (the first that existed years ago).

This is why I prefer harder boot shells and softer (not too much) bindings.

If you think your ankle are safe with the Raichle loosened cant adjusters then I think it can be a good solution.

Jacques