SWOARD versus VIRUS ??

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

simima
Rank 3
Rank 3

SWOARD versus VIRUS ??

Post by simima » Wednesday 25 January 2006, 12:45

Hi all

I'll put this in English, makes it more usable for everybody (you may find a similar, german post at http://www.virus-snowboards.com/forum/v ... ?p=155#155 ).

I stepped over https://www.extremecarving.com recently... made me think.

What are the differences of a SWOARD to a VIRUS board? I mean: Is extremecarving really only possible with those SWOARDS?

I just recently bought a VIRUS (Rocket), as I was completely disappointed by the F2 Silberpfeil. The VIRUS is another league...

I prefer boards that are able to cope with steep slopes, and usually uneven surfaces. Other posts mention that this isn't the field for a SWOARD, right?

Thanks
-Simon

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Well

Post by nils » Wednesday 25 January 2006, 12:56

Simon,
its easy:
You can do extremecarving with any board..really! A skwal, a race board etc...
Its just much more easier with a Swoard, because the board was designed for it, and also to be an easy board !

Virus is another league compare to F2, and this is why Virus makes our boards now! Because the quality of the ride is exceptionnal! But its hard to compare our board to the one you have, because they are different in shape, and in materials! Just the bases and edges and fiberglass + resin are the same!

As for steeps and bumps, you can watch the first video ( first opus)> extremecarving it shows the way the board ( proto at the time) handles bumps ( slow motion at first part of the movie especially on a backside of patrice)... for steeps, you can watch any of the other movies, they were all shot at zinal, where its steep! I'm sure the other that have tried zinal can testify its steep enough!

Hope this answers a few questions!
Nils

RicHard
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: SWOARD versus VIRUS ??

Post by RicHard » Wednesday 25 January 2006, 13:05

simima wrote:I just recently bought a VIRUS (Rocket), as I was completely disappointed by the F2 Silberpfeil. The VIRUS is another league...
Ohps!
Even if I consider the virus boards really good boards, I'm a fan of Silberpfeils.
I owned a couple of them of different lengths but...
...i think you should say which length is your virus compared to which length you had for the silberpfeil (for stability on not-flat terrains), which series (which "year": for the flex), which parameter are you referring to (when you say "I was completely disappointed": grip? flex? stability? etc?)...
...and... let me say even this... we should see even your technique, in order to see if you are using all the features the silberpfeil has got.
Maybe you are the world champion but... I would put even technique into the game. Or maybe the virus simply fits better to your riding style, etc...
I'm saying this because the silberpfeil is not an "everyday" freecarve as many others. It requires legs and technique.
;-)
Have nice ridings...
_RicHard
Kessler The Alpine 168 - FTWO Speester RS Proto 179 (2012) - Burton Fire boots

ursle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ursle » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 1:10

to me it looks like the diff between the sword and any virus is the width, you can get a sword up on it's side, verticaly and not boot out, a virus is going to take some adjustment to get verticle,

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Virus vs Swoard

Post by István » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 10:09

Virus has many models. They produce boards with various width. They even have one that is just as wide as a Swoard. For example mine.... 8)

You might want to check http://www.virus-snowboards.de/

Kindest,

István
Attachments
Virus ME109 175 & Bomber TD2.jpg
Virus ME109 175 & Bomber TD2.jpg (85.82 KiB) Viewed 7232 times

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

SICK VIRUS

Post by Hans » Wednesday 1 February 2006, 0:10

Istvan,

That board looks really sick!!! :twisted: 8) :evil2:

Hope there will be a GLADIATOR Zylon to demo at the ECS.

Greets, Hans

roman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by roman » Wednesday 1 February 2006, 8:04

..this i hope too for you...! :twisted:

Mattias112
Rank 3
Rank 3

Swoard vs other

Post by Mattias112 » Wednesday 1 February 2006, 10:19

Hi
I've been trying to do extremecarving turn the last two years on different boards and frontside is fairly easy but backside turns has been to difficult to master. This year I bought the Swoard 168 M and what a difference! On my FIRST day out I managed to really good extremecarvingturns on both front and backside! :D
Okay it is possible to extremecarve on perhaps most boards but it is definitly doing it the hard way!
If you want to learn to do fully laid turns I highly recommend to invest in a Swoard! You will not regret it.
:P Mattias
RAD Black, Diamond MW, Blackburn...

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Wednesday 1 February 2006, 11:18

Hans, as for the world novelty Zylon we have to pray to Skywalker..... and of course to Frank....

I myself also want to try something narrower and shorter radii board from Virus - I think it suits more less steep or crowded slopes.

Kindest,

István

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: Swoard vs other

Post by fivat » Wednesday 1 February 2006, 21:59

Mattias112 wrote:Hi
I've been trying to do extremecarving turn the last two years on different boards and frontside is fairly easy but backside turns has been to difficult to master. This year I bought the Swoard 168 M and what a difference! On my FIRST day out I managed to really good extremecarvingturns on both front and backside! :D
Okay it is possible to extremecarve on perhaps most boards but it is definitly doing it the hard way!
If you want to learn to do fully laid turns I highly recommend to invest in a Swoard! You will not regret it.
:P Mattias
:bravo:

Your post confirms the impressions of the Swoard owners ("Swoarders") in a very large majority. As said in the homepage:
The SWOARD Extremecarver is the key to laying down linked turns with ease. This model is the culmination of a unique construction and several innovations. No other board has been created specifically to carve with extreme inclinations and to control intense forces, without skidding or hopping, in almost any snow conditions. At the same time the SWOARD remains surprisingly versatile and easy to handle for all riders, from beginner to expert.
Patrice Fivat

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Sunday 12 February 2006, 14:47

Hi

I think I was riding one of these virus extremecarvers. It's a time ago and I'm not sure if it was the same board, but check yourself (scroll down to the picture of the board) here...

viewtopic.php?t=1218

Olaf

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Friday 17 February 2006, 14:13

Cmachine,

Mine is not the one you tested, but quite similar. If I remember well in some posts Skywalker mentioned that the board you tested was built for a 80kg fella.

Mine is a bit stiffer than that. Also for some reasons Frank changed the writings, I think the one you tested said "Extremecarver Proto #1", while mine says "ME109 Kevlar Proto". But other than that I think they are quite similar.

I remember reading your comparisson of the Virus and the Swoard 3D. And I just read your report on the new 2D. Seemingly you prefer softer boards.... :wink:

Kindest,

István

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Friday 17 February 2006, 14:43

István wrote:Seemingly you prefer softer boards.... :wink:
seems so 8)