Swoard lengthes :)

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Swoard lengthes :)

Post by nils » Tuesday 13 December 2005, 23:41

Just wanted to give you a few explainations after receiving an email by Mark N.
"I just measured my Swoard 168M and it is actually 166 cm. Wonder whether this is how all 168 Swoards are or whether mine was made specially short. Haven't tried it yet as I am waiting for the best slopes to open this weekend. Actually, 166 cm works really well for me -- it fits into my car so I don't have to put it on the roof! "

here is my answer :)
"Actually the official lenght is 168, and all the "168" have exact same edge lenght width etc.... (same mold) .
Since they are hand cut from the mold after drying, the final length depends on who did it, if he was in happy mood ;) etc...

to make it short> it has no effect on the riding.
My 175 is in real 178cm... but a guy has a 175 that is 173. No real difference feel... the nose and tail length really vary :) (proof they are hand made :) )

So no worries if your boards are not exactly 175-168 or 161. That is the mold lenght, but cutting can reduce or increase those numbers a bit (around 1-2 cm sometimes, but most board are really 175-168 and 161.
Frank is using semi open molds, and previously we were using closed molds so the boards were all clones.... this explains mostly the difference in length. All other specs are alike on boards from same models.

Nils

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Wednesday 14 December 2005, 11:06

You mean every 168 as the same contact length, even if overall length is different ?
Swoard 168M / Undertaker 185 + F2 Race Ti + tuned Raichle 324
Resorts : St Lary / Peyragudes / La Thuile
Carver toute l'année : carveboard.fr

frunobulax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by frunobulax » Wednesday 14 December 2005, 11:33

Are you sure? I made the experience that skis as well as snowboards are usually 1-2 cm shorter than their official length and always explained that with the bended tip so that if the board was pressed down completely flat to the ground it would effectively reach the official length. Try and measure the length with a flexible measure tape!
Differences of up to 5 cm in length would sound quite disturbing to me.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

yes :)

Post by nils » Wednesday 14 December 2005, 12:03

everything is similar between each 168 or 161 or 175, but the lenght may vary ( not 5cm but 1-2 sometimes...) My 175 3D is 174.5 and my 2D is 177.5
Who cares really since edge and contact length are the important things and those never vary :)
N.

MarkN
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkN » Wednesday 14 December 2005, 14:10

frunobulax wrote:Are you sure? I made the experience that skis as well as snowboards are usually 1-2 cm shorter than their official length and always explained that with the bended tip so that if the board was pressed down completely flat to the ground it would effectively reach the official length. Try and measure the length with a flexible measure tape!
Differences of up to 5 cm in length would sound quite disturbing to me.
Yep - i'm sure - I used a flexible tape measure and it is 166 and a bit. Doesn't worry me at all now knowing this was not an error in the fabrication, as Nils explained.

Thanks again Nils,
Mark
EC Dreamer