Swoard new generation: impressions

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Thursday 10 November 2005, 22:31

schatten wrote:I am using rotional technique, too. Drifting I found easy, thats no problem. Catching an edge was also not the issue. But the transition from drift to carve felt somehow "digital".
I didn't notice that. Maybe i didn't try transitions from carve to drift, or maybe the 3D was different of the 2D you tried.
But what you say seems logical. If a board as a very strong grip the transition to drift may feel a little "digital".
schatten wrote:Did you ever ride a Virus board?
I never got that oportunity.
Swoard 168M / Undertaker 185 + F2 Race Ti + tuned Raichle 324
Resorts : St Lary / Peyragudes / La Thuile
Carver toute l'année : carveboard.fr

Dave
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dave » Thursday 10 November 2005, 23:39

Unfortunately my swoard will see snow for the first time on 26th december. :cry:
When I come back, I will write a review on the handling in snow.

Greetings, Dave
Party hard, party wise
Swoard2005 168H 004, Northwave nexus grey

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Friday 11 November 2005, 4:48

Guys,

I'm not suprised at all that some of you don't like the Swoard during first time short tests.
The fact is you are not only testing a new board. You are also discovering a different position (less feet angulation) and a wider board. Most of the time your body and brain are not used to these new parameters and it is normal that they feel lost during a few days. This is the reason I was first afraid to make short tests with the Swoard.

This phenomenon is the same when a hardbooter tries a freestyle board for the first time (or a freestyler tries an alpine board). You can't ask your body and brain to be ready at once with such a different setting.

We also know we are proposing a board that needs a riding technique that is completely different than the today usual hardbooting technique.

So my opinion is that 2 days is a minimum to get really used to such a different board.

The strange thing is that this time may last 2 turns to one week... :alien: :dogeyes: :silly:

Jacques

Dave
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dave » Friday 11 November 2005, 9:06

Last year, I had the oppertunity to test the swoard for 1,5 days.

When I did my turns on the swoard, it was the excellent grip that told me that the swoard was no ordinary board.
Also the easyness that the board starts its turn.
It is really a strange feeling and it needs a bit time to adapt to it. But the one person so this faster than the other one. That's true.

But you can only say something about the swoard when you have stand on it :wink: .

Greetings, Dave
Party hard, party wise
Swoard2005 168H 004, Northwave nexus grey

SITO
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SITO » Friday 11 November 2005, 15:47

I'm total agree with Jacques, when I change from my alpine board to my freestyle twin-tip board it's very hard for me ride on it during the first runs .
It's like my first day try to learn to do snowboard with the teacher when i learned to ride in snowboard. But at the end of the day, i have no problem, riden in my twin-tip .

Sito
Ride hard;100% fun

bowen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bowen » Friday 11 November 2005, 17:02

...my swoard is heeeeeeeeeeeeeere :D

cu in kaunertal this weekend, and with a testbericht from riding it 2days on monday :lol:

..........schraub, schraub, einpack :wink:
...sunny days ar the best!

kelvin o
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kelvin o » Friday 11 November 2005, 17:57

The Swoard 2d is in the US! (New York to be exact)... Was on vacation and when I returned yesterday it was here at home! Beautiful finish. One thing that was surprising was that with a manual bend test it was bendier than I would expect for a carving board yet it was just about as I hoped for (I'm glad I got the 168). When twisting it I was a bit surprised that it was rather easy to twist by hand of which I wonder a bit for I was expecting a rather stiff torsional characteristic. I can't wait to get it on the snow. Unfortunately it probably won't be until Deember that I will want to ride it since I will definitely want to wait until there is a substantial base to ride on. Until then I will have to wait and just enjoy looking at the build quality (thanks Frank!).

An observation (criticism?) about the board prep... the edges are not as sharp as I normally get when new, they definitely do not pass the fingernail test . Is there a reason for this? Also I have read on previous posts that there should not be any base structure, the base should be rather smooth, on my board there is a fine structure on the base that makes the base feel rather rough. Again, any word, comment or experience from others on this issue?

Thanks for a beautiful looking board! I hope it rides as well as it looks! I will report when I get a chance (after a few ride days of course :) ).
Kelvin

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Prep SWOARD

Post by Hans » Friday 11 November 2005, 19:14

Hi, Kelvin

The edges you must do them yourself. They are not very well sharpened due to safety purposes when sending the SWOARD to you. You can all find about sharpening and doing the base here:

https://www.extremecarving.com/swoard/manual.html

The SWOARD has an incredible torsional stiffness, but is very flexible in the length of the board. That's one of the reasons the board is so easy to ride, and forgot almost to mention the ATC matrix.

Have fun with it.

Greets, Hans.

kelvin o
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kelvin o » Friday 11 November 2005, 20:03

Doh! I guess I should go back and read the maintenance articles instead of relying on my slowly fading memory! :oops: Thanks Hans for the heads up.
Regarding the torsional stiffness it still seems like the torsional stifness is about the same as my Donek freeride board. I'll hold any real comment until the ride! Can't wait (well I guess I can since I've been waiting for so long already!

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

kelvin small explainations :)

Post by nils » Friday 11 November 2005, 20:03

torsion stiffness: due to the width, you get more leverage to twist it by hand compare to another narrow board: no worries you'll see on the snow its not a weak board torsionwise ! Just give the board a small bend flexwise, and u'll see how stiff it can get torsionwise.

edge sharpness: there is NO way to have a board factory sharpen that will be ready for the snow: ceramic finish such as the one Frank is using does NOT come close to a good hand sharpening job. Yes edges are at 90°, and it is to my opinion already a good thing, since a LOT of manufacturers don't really care about the angle ( i have seen the last 'hype" ski from rossi ( 1190 euros !!) and the edges are not straight or even, despite a good look.
Of course everyone would love to unpack the board and ride: it is possible of course, but do not forget the hand sharpening is always better than something done by a machine. The machine makes the edges flat on both sides, then you have to clean the job, get rid of the discs lines, and get the bevel below 15 microns ( if you can) then polish them with a diamond stone for better resistance to abrasion and less friction.
We decide also to ship board straight out of the ceramic machine, because that way its not maybe razor sharp, but its easier to handle, pack etc without risking injuries! :)
N.

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Torsion stiffness: parameters

Post by fivat » Friday 11 November 2005, 20:49

Torsion stiffness is apparently very very high in skis :-D
Indeed skis are so narrow that the small lever arm implies small force momentum and small twist (physics!). So it's not easy to judge different skis / boards in the shops. It depends on the width... and on some other parameters too!
For example: the ATC Matrix in the SWOARD masters accurately the distribution of torsional stiffness. Torsion is not too stiff close to the tail and tip ! Therefore the spot where you place your hands on the board to test stiffness is important. Close to the SWOARD tip you get the feeling that it's soft.

Not simple at all. But very simple on snow ;-)

Patrice Fivat

kelvin o
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kelvin o » Friday 11 November 2005, 21:02

Hmmm, interesting... so the issue is really not so much absolute torsional stiffness but a sort of TUNED torsional stiffness. I'm sure it'll all come clear when I actually get to ride it on the snow. Thanks all for the info! :)

bowen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bowen » Monday 14 November 2005, 8:11

....back from kaunertal. 2 days brilliant weather and the swoard under my feet :arrow: :roll: 8O 8O 8O :) :D :lol: :silly: :bravo: :clap2: :pray2:

THIS BOARD IS HAMMER!!!!

the conditions where hard to ice to pure ice!

waht happens first was, that the board pushes mie in a littlebit different position than i was used to.
i am riding the ec-technik on my old board too, but i has a little more room for cheating.
so i was a littlebit confused in the first rides.

so back to basic. prerotaiton, push-pull.....and than?!? 8O ....wath the?!?!... 8O :twisted: if you do the rigth technik, than the board switches into the edge and you can ride never ending carves without any use of too much power.
when you force this only a little bit, than you will get nice turns while you can touch the snow in a streched position at both sides very easy.

i think i also did my first "real" unpresed or too much bodybended ec-turn on the frontside.
on a godd slope i can now touch the snow in streched position on every backsideturn.

edgehold: i get the board on friday nigth at my friend in austria, so i have no time to do job on the edges.
but i can nearley say - fore wath?!*g*
there where big areas with pure ice and you can ride throug with the swoard like you weahring hockey skates on your feet :lol:

i am still learnig raceboarding/extremecarving, so only the shit in my pants :oops: holds me back to go with more speed into the pure big iceareas :D

ok so far, i wll update my expirience with the swoard during the season, but a this point i am shure, that this is the board, witch makes a big ec-step possibly for me!!!!

thanxxxxx nils, jaques and patrice for keep on going with this board!!! :bravo: :pray2:

servus
der bowen
...sunny days ar the best!

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

great news :)

Post by nils » Monday 14 November 2005, 8:59

thnx :) and also cool!
Its the reason why we go on: make you ( and us) ride happy :)

Nils

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Monday 14 November 2005, 9:39

Bowen > thanks for commenting on your experience. 8)
Can you tell what bidings you where using ?
Swoard 168M / Undertaker 185 + F2 Race Ti + tuned Raichle 324
Resorts : St Lary / Peyragudes / La Thuile
Carver toute l'année : carveboard.fr