Asking for Advice in choosing the right Gen4 EC, thanks!!!

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

robo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Asking for Advice in choosing the right Gen4 EC, thanks!!!

Post by robo » Tuesday 17 April 2012, 21:19

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this board and like to introduce myself and ask for your advice.

I live in Germany, been Snowboarding for almost 20 years now, but just 2 to 3 times a year (unfortunately I don't
live near any mountains high enough).

For many years I thought Carving is going to die and I'm one of the last of my species becoming extinct. Sometimes
I'm the only one with hard boots/Alpine Board on the slope. I bet you guys can understand how happy I was to find
that website and that there's still carving boards produced. I even bought a second board years ago without really
riding it, just as a backup.

Now, since I saw the EC Videos, I can't wait to ride a Swoard EC myself. As always, winter is just over by now. Damn!

I hope you guys can help me choose the right one, because I'm not sure if I'll end up good if I just rely on the specifications
on the Swoard-website.

I started with some crappy, cheap boards which didn't fit, then switched to a oxygen freeride board and since 8 years I
ride a Burton Factory Prime, Length 156cm, Intec Step-in Bindings, Raichle/Deeluxe 123 Boots, Angles Front 50°, Rear 40°.
I'm not sure if the Binding angles are right for me, but they feel good, as well as the board. I feel it's as stable in going
straight and fast as it is maneuverable. In fact sometimes I wish it would be even more manouverable (shorter?) when
the Slopes are bad and full of bumps. I usually travel to Austria, Slopes are more hard than soft most of the time.
My second board is a F2 Speedster GT, 157mm, which felt really rock-hard and uncomfortable the one time I rode it.

I am 177cm, 81kg, Shoe Size Euro 44 (Although I measured a Mondo 27(42), but I would not fit into Size 42/43 Shoes.
My Raichle Boots are 33.5cm long (from the Swoard-chart), 322mm is imprinted on the boots.

According to the Swoard-Page, I should choose a 175 Swoard with a medium flex, or a 168 with a hard flex. Due to my
Shoe-Size, a 175 is recommended if my first priority is to prevent Boot overhang (First priority for EC??)
The site also says if I wanna go extremecarving (which is exactly what I wanna do!!!) I should choose the softest flex.
(but "medium" or "hard" due to my weight)
But somehow I feel that a 175 Board will be too long for me (that's almost my own size!!!), compared to the 156mm I feel good with.
Although I might be using the wrong board/binding angles anyway, I can do really fast turns with the Burton, but I'm not
able to go deeper than touching the snow with my palm on the Frontside turn. Right now I've reached my limit. Trying to
go deeper makes the board-Tail or the whole board slip away and sends me eating snow. Maybe it's the boots biting into the Snow.
***So should I go 168 or 175 (I feel like 168 because of my 156 Board)***,
***Soft, medium or hard (I feel like Soft/medium because of usually hard slopes)***???
My main goal is just carving, extreme if I can make it :wink:

I hope the Swoard will bring some fresh air into my Snowboarding and hope you can help me with some advice. I would
really appreciate it, so thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!
:pray2:
Greetings
Robo
Burton Factory Prime 156, Intec, Raichle 123.

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Asking for Advice in choosing the right Gen4 EC, thanks!

Post by Arnaud » Wednesday 18 April 2012, 9:30

Welcome Robo

Considering your weight / size, 168H would be a good choice, but considering your long shoes, the 175M will probably be better for you if you want to reach high inclination.
Did you already try shorter shoes ? If you intend to change in the next seasons, maybe better to go with the 168H.
robo wrote:But somehow I feel that a 175 Board will be too long for me (that's almost my own size!!!), compared to the 156mm I feel good with.

Yes, it's a big difference, but the Swoard's length is not a big problem thanks to its relative longitudinal softness.
I'm 174 / 79kg (Euro 43), and use both 168H and 175M. Sure that the 175 is not so manouverable as 168 but is more stable and fast. The difference is not so high.

To resume : If you want to keep your actual boots and your goal is to make extremecarving, go for 175M
If you consider to change your boots in the next future for shorter boots, 168H could be a better choice.
robo wrote:As always, winter is just over by now
Not really. Still a lot of snow in Austria.
If you go to Sölden on May 1st, you could meet some Swoard guys (like Alex) and try the boards.

Otherwise, for sure we'll organize a meeting in South Germany / Austria next season where the boards will be available for testing. See here
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Wednesday 18 April 2012, 11:28

I think Raichle boots are relatively long compared to mondo size, while Head and especially UPZ boots are much shorter. And since they're 123's they should be pretty old and worn by now. So if you switch to UPZ boots you might shave off another 1-2 cm of effective boot length.

Don't think the 175 would be good for you, seems already too big for me sometimes with +/-187cm
Fridgecarver

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Wednesday 18 April 2012, 12:39

Hi Robo,

in your case I would go for the 168H.
Search for newer shoes and try to get some informations about the correct size in hardboots.
They seem to be a bit long for your feet.

As Arnauld said, Sölden on the weekend till first of May gives the chance to test the Swoard and meet more than 200 other hardbooters (alone on the slope as a hardbooter - :badgrin: :doh: )

Or, participate next year at the Demo Tour, where free lessons are given.
Helps more than three years teaching yourself alone.

The community of hardbooters is so great - ask and you will get as much help as possible. :chinese:
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Wednesday 18 April 2012, 13:12

You could even buy your new boots in Sölden. In several stores! Hardbooters mecca!
Fridgecarver

robo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by robo » Thursday 19 April 2012, 12:32

Thank you guys for your answers, I will be thankful to read some more.... :bravo:

I will try to come to Sölden, but I propably will not make it (usually have to work at those days).

I think the 168 Board would be right for me now.
Will gladly try some other boots, the Raichle were really comfortable for my feet though.

What about the statement "choose the softest flex if your goal is extremecarving"??????
:think: :think: :think:

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Thursday 19 April 2012, 12:48

Do you mean the following, what belongs to "Board selection"?:

"If your weight is on the borderline between two choices of flex:

A board with a softer flex is easier to ride and more comfortable, especially on hard or icy snow. If your ultimate goal is extremecarving do not hesitate to select the softest model: the board can bend better and grip nicely all along its edge thanks to the ATC Matrix.

If your style is aggressive and if you ride fast or often on soft/fresh snow, take the stiffer model. It will not obstruct the rider from turning in any style. It simply requires a little more leg strength to maneuver.

Simple rule: a soft board has more grip on hard or icy snow, and a stiff board is more stable in soft snow (it withstands the forces better)."

Hm, where is the difficuilt point?

robo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by robo » Thursday 19 April 2012, 13:23

the difficult point is, I'm looking for advice which flex to choose. Due to my weight/size, I
should choose a hard flex, but if I my goal is extremecarving, I'm supposed to choose the
softest model. Whatt else am I supposed to do with a extremecarving-board?
Most of the time I'm riding on hard snow (=soft), but with a agressive style (=hard)
So: hard or soft? Medium? Sure enough I'm able to read, I wanted to ask for your experiences and
advice. Maybe someone got a soft one and doesnt like it or vive versa....? That's what I
wanna know....your experiences to help me make my choice. Thanks.

joemzl

Post by joemzl » Thursday 19 April 2012, 15:20

joemzl wrote: "If your weight is on the borderline between two choices of flex:...
... then Robo you can choose between 168H and 168M.

Maybe there should be announced "softer model" instead of "softest model" :wink:

So do you plan to loose weight and only ride on hardpack, 168M might be ok,
but in the other cases, 168H will be the better choice.
Most people get some kg more with the years, then you´re far off the boarderline.
(That´s my case :silly: )

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Thursday 19 April 2012, 15:21

I think this advice only holds when comparing 175M to 175H, not when comparing shorter to longer boards. Due to decreased length, you need more stiffness to hold same weight over a shorter length.
Fridgecarver

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Thursday 19 April 2012, 19:50

No doubt : for 81kg , 168H is the right choice
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

robo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by robo » Friday 20 April 2012, 14:15

Thanks a lot guys, so Iguess it'll be the 168H....AND loose some weight :lol:
as well as buy new, shorter boots.
If someone has another opinion, I still will be glad to read it....
:bravo:

olive
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by olive » Friday 20 April 2012, 16:24

Totally agree: Patrice and I ride usually together, we are same height and same weight as you are, shoe size 42-43, and 168H is perfect for us, either extremecarving or free carving.

Patrice has a 168M which he uses when the surface is really icy, but I don't think he took it out this winter.

You can't be wrong with 168H! :bravo:

Olivier
Swoard EC Pro2 168H
Swell Panik Magistral 185

Surfing is life, the rest is details