Binding Flexibility & EC Performance

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

StanChung
Rank 2
Rank 2

Catek's new binding

Post by StanChung » Monday 16 September 2002, 11:08

They have a sexy new Intec redesign but the small base seems to be unchanged.

http://www.catek.com/

What changes would be required to make these Cateks suitable for e-carve?
Low Rider for Life
www.stanchung.com

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Monday 16 September 2002, 12:40

I think Bomber TD and Catek have been specialy developed for narrow race boards and high feet angulation. That's why their base plate surface is so little. And that's why they are so stiff.

The problem is that in EC configuration, the forces transmition is radicaly different than with a race board configuration.

Race:
  • The forces are transmitted by the sides of the boots => stiff bindings needed.
  • The direction of the binding is nearly parallel to the board one, so the base plate length is obstructing the board flex (same problem with carving skis...) => short base plates.
  • Need of feet canting => lots of canting adjustment required.
EC:
  • The forces are transmitted about equally by the tips and the sides of the boots => stiff bindings not needed.
  • Due to the width of the board, the rider must be able to move its gravity center over the board, from one edge to the other => not too stiff bindings needed.
  • The base plate must be able to adapt itself to the huge board bending during a laid turn. Otherwise, the edge will be unable to follow the circle arc of the turn.
  • The direction of the binding is about 45°-50° to the board one, so the base plate isn't obstructing the board flex so much, especially if the base plate has a little bit of softness.
  • The fact that the forces are in a huge part transmitted by the boots tips, makes it necessary to have a long base plate.
  • The board bending during an EC turn leads automatically to the correct feet canting => no canting adjustment mecanism required.
So, the mecanical problems are totally different in racing or EC.

As I already wrote on another thread of this forum, the perfect EC binding is probably a Bomber or Catek one with a composite base plate. :D

PS: note that the new Catek model is incorporating a thick rubber pad under the base plate. It seems that they got the bending board ability problem too... :?

Jacques

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Friday 8 November 2002, 21:02

Hello all carver

With interest I'm following your discussion about the different bindings for EC. :D :D :D
I'm currently carving with a "fritschi" binding (front step in). Because I want to try the recommended flat settings without any canting/lift, I decided to buy a new binding (heal / toe lift can not be removed with my current binding).

What binding do you recommend for EC?

Jaques wrote:
As I already wrote on another thread of this forum, the perfect EC binding is probably a Bomber or Catek one with a composite base plate.
Do you prefer one of these two? And which model would you take (step in or not)?

Jaques: What do you mean with a "composite base" plate?

Thanks
cmachine

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Friday 8 November 2002, 21:30

Hi cmachine,

Since I have tested the BOMBER binding, my opinion has changed! See here.
Do you prefer one of these two? And which model would you take (step in or not)?
no step-in, because they are lateraly too stiff for wide boards.
Jaques: What do you mean with a "composite base" plate?
made with fiberglass or carbon fiber.

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Friday 8 November 2002, 22:22

Hello Jaques

Thank's for your fast answer and also for your very positive test report about the first EC-Board.
Since I have tested the BOMBER binding, my opinion has changed! See here .
If I understand you right, you didn't change your opinion, but you prefer the BOMBER TD instead of the Catek.?

Have a nice weekend (hopefully in the snow)
cmachine

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Saturday 9 November 2002, 7:50

Biggest benefit of Cateks over TDs is that you can easily adjust canting/lift as you want. But for EC purpose i believe this adjustability is no big issue due preferred flat position, i have understood. I've been using both of them, but currently only with TDs cause weight of them is less.

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Saturday 9 November 2002, 13:30

Hi pokkis

On Bomber's homepage I found that there are some suspension bumpers available. --> pic

The bumpers are also available for 0 degree canting (flat mounting). There are 3 different hardnesses: Yellow (soft), Purple (medium), Red (hard).

Which of these bumpers do you use on your TD? Or is it better to carve without this suspension bumpers?

:) cmachine :)

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Saturday 9 November 2002, 19:08

We both, me and my wife, have purple ones. I wouldnt recommend riding without cause that's the way Fins has designed them to work :D
BTW on pic there is 6 degree canting set, for EC style i would recommend zero degrees ones. Also soft ones could be good to test if you will get little more softnes. I'm happy with purple ones, but would order also set of softs if getting them to Finland would cost fortune :cry:

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Saturday 9 November 2002, 21:45

Hi everyone,

I don't know which binding (BOMBER or CATEK) I prefer, because I didn't try the CATEK.

What I can say is that The BOMBER has exactly the good adjustment possibilities for EC: infinite angulation, rough canting/lift (that we don't use anyway). The CATEK, as I could see on their site, has the contrary: infinite canting/lift adjustment and 3 degrees angulation, that is a bit limited for us.

But to make any judgment with the CATEK, I should try them.

I had a lot of bias with the BOMBER (too stiff, not comfortable, too heavy, break the boards) that I forgot when I tried them.
All my bias were vrong, so...
Which of these bumpers do you use on your TD? Or is it better to carve without this suspension bumpers?
I used the red (harder) ones and I found the whole binding very soft and comfortable.

As I had a lot of tests to do that day, I didn't try the other ones, but I will do it next time.

Personnally, I won't try without suspention, because the central disk introduces a lot of lever on the board. Furthermore, they are recommended by the BOMBER staff.
An other point is they say that their dampening effect leeds to less edge skipping (I never had one during the test day, but I must admit the snow was really good).

Jacques

A carver from Holland
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A carver from Holland » Monday 11 November 2002, 7:33

Hi Guys,

I am currently using F2 Titanium intec bindings and must admit that though there are made from Titanium they are very flexible. I bought some Deeluxe Indy boots this weekend and tried these boots together with the bindings on my Speedster RS. In one word: amazing! The boots are pretty flexible, which compensates the less flexible bindings. I was able to bend the board in every turn, so i guess stiff bindings also work! It's a combination between board, bindings, and boots.

What do you think?

Arjan