Importance of plate (non-intec) bindings and spring systems

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

dfense
Rank 0
Rank 0

Importance of plate (non-intec) bindings and spring systems

Post by dfense » Friday 13 January 2012, 11:42

Hi all
I plan to get into EC. After going through the forum several times (great resource!) I still have two questions.
I understand that a plate binding (e.g. F2 Race Titanium) is preferred over an intec and that custom spring systems on the boots are better than standard boots.
(I have an old intec and just bought an UPZ RX8 on sale, so where to go now?)

The question for me is: How much better is it? There is never just black or white ;-)

On a scale from 1 to 4, how important is a plate binding over an intec?
On the same scale, how important is a custom spring system?
My proposal for the scale:

1: not so important, like in: "if you are a superb and seasoned EC veteran, it gives you that last edge, but a beginner/average guy will not feel much"
2: "it's an upgrade to consider after a while, after you reached that dreaded plateau"
3: "it really makes a difference for all riders"
4: very important, like in: "don't even bother buying a SWOARD if you don't do this."

Could you give your numbers and eventually additional comments to the two questions (bindings/boots)?

Thanks a lot!
Andreas

PS: I saw the poll option, but this is two questions...
PPS: I plan to go test a SWOARD on Monday, 30-Jan in Zinal, so I need to make up my mind quickly :P

luomu
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Importance of plate (non-intec) bindings and spring syst

Post by luomu » Friday 13 January 2012, 14:55

I use Intecs and still manage to get some decent turns done every once in a while, in my opinion at least.

To get down & up the boot has to flex, so I would weigh the springs over the classic binding in 4:1 ratio, but guess that a more flexible binding would contribute to the overall result. I'm lazy.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Friday 13 January 2012, 19:01

It is very interesting and still discussed topic - what contributes more to success - inherent capabilities and general physical condition of the rider, hard work, technique or equipment.

If i understand luomy correctly - i also vote for spring first - this helps when you are getting to do laydowns and bend legs, and for bindings second - making linked full laydown turns from armpit to armpit is possible when you are using intecs. I personally feel no difference between intecs and regular bails.
i`m learning

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Movement is the Key

Post by rcrobar » Friday 13 January 2012, 20:23

Hello Andreas

The real issue or purpose of your boot binding questions perhaps should focus on your ability to move; maybe it is better to word this by asking the question 'are your movements restricted in anyway by your current boot binding interface.'

The second part of this line of thinking is that as your EC skill and experience progress you will have a better understanding of how much and where this boot-binding freedom of movement is needed and where it is not.

Example:

In the past when I have tried the stiffest boots, stiffest bindings, etc, for me it feels like I am in a straight jacket, what I mean by this is that it really restricts my ability to move the way I want.

In the past I have also done some crazy modifications to my bindings to permit a huge amount of movement to both my boots and bindings; this lead to my understanding that there is a point where too much of a good thing is not good:)

Finding a balance between movement where it is needed and support where it is needed is why the EC guys like laterally flexible bindings and VERY stiff boots that get the ankle movement and support from springs that reflect the riders size, weight and ability.

Hope this helps a bit with your questions.
Cheers
Rob

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Sunday 15 January 2012, 14:51

Hi Andreas,

Please read my ACSS for Deeluxe topic carefully -> I'm pretty sure that you will get better idea on how this all works.

My customers says that installing ACSS is a really best improvement they've made to their gear. The system really helps you in bad conditions.

Cheers,
www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!