Which boots?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Which boots?

Post by keepTheSport » Saturday 25 February 2012, 17:55

Abrax, besides being middle aged, I am female and you would end up looking like you were on the town with your mum :lol2: Now that won't be so cool 8O but I do appreciate people being so friendly and helpful :D

Now I am very into healthy food, so I was quite impressed with...

"... non-filtered and non-pasteurised beers with high contents of natural ingredients, including B group vitamins, are brewed..."

...I always make sure I get my B vitamins everyday but it's usually with Marmite (hate it or love it!)... :lol:

I am also impressed that you only have the one :bravo:
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Sunday 26 February 2012, 12:01

Hmm... Do you really think that having a nice talk with a female who is few years older than me could be so bad experience for me? :-)

We are used to a fact that usually hardbooters are not teenagers :-) I think that in this sport average age is somewhere around thirty, so we usually spend time with people variously aged and we really accept females ! On our PCS there was a Czech guy who did produce his own snowboards in early 80's !! What a stories!

Anyway when you or anybody will ever be in Cracow, you know the right place to visit when it comes to really tasty Cracow beers. One 5ltr beer for 2 persons is enough to have a really nice mood and keep the challenge for more than 2 hours of nice talk. Usually :-) I don't feel that this beer is a really precious item to keep your B vitamins on a high enough level but it is so different from all these bottled Heinekens which all tastes the same that it simply should not be missed once you are in Cracow...

Once more the age thing -> the oldest of our carvers is above 60. When I see how much fun he has from this I plan never to stop this sport !!!
www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Sunday 26 February 2012, 12:40

Well Abrax, a very kind reply.

I did not realise that the hardbooters were a bit older(on average), as I am used to seeing the young snowboarding. When I took up snowboarding just a couple years ago I went on my own and took a couple lessons (as I didn't even know how to put the board on my feet :doh: People my age were surprised at my choice of sport, along with the usual negative comments that at 'my age' etc etc. Needless to say I ignored the lot of them :tongue: Oh this sport is so addictive, I just love it and as for hard booting I can't wait. I have been reading this site for some time and decided this is the way I want to go when I am at slopes. I shall do some park stuff in the fridge during the Summer I've already had one lesson and the young people including the 10 year olds were quite happy to have me in their group 8O

In terms of boots, I shall keep looking as people on this site may have stuff I could try on but if I have to buy new I think Cracow is a good idea. I speak to some of the Polish people at work so I shall ask them about the city and they may even know the shop.

Your English is very good and I am ashamed at myself for not being to speak and write another language, like the Eurpeans do in English. Although I have been trying to read the French site without an electronic translator! In my translation I have invented a new sport :lol2:

..and as for 5 litres of beer...blooming 'eck.. I can't imagine it... but like you say it's only 1 drink :evil2:
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

benttech
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by benttech » Monday 27 February 2012, 10:57

keepTheSport wrote:Well Abrax, a very kind reply.

I did not realise that the hardbooters were a bit older(on average) [...]
Its hazy, but if I remember correctly, a poll on bomberonline found the average age of hardbooter in the US was 50 years old.

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Monday 27 February 2012, 16:20

I found two older polls from here and another forum and it says, that the average age is between 35 and 40.
Hm, can I feel as a middle ager too, at the end of 40? :D

When carvers meet, it´s not the age, that makes the difference.
It´s the skill.
So I should feel very young. :lol2: :doh:
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Monday 27 February 2012, 20:14

Benttech, Joemzl I like these surveys that you are finding :lol2:

I do agree, it's not the age it's the skill. I am also pleasantly surprised at the US results of avg. age 50 :clap3:

When I look at the videos from the EC meets, everyone seems so skilled and I will be so rubbish when I turn up to my first EC meet buy hey I can live with that. I'll be there to learn.

BTW is there any way I can save Ben's video (the one where he shows: posture, breaking, drift breaking to finally laid turns) on to my PC? Instead of having to go online every time to view it. I am trying to memorize what I should be doing (as the snow has gone in Scotland) and I can't practice unless at a fridge( memorizing is all I have at the mom :| )

Joemzl, I have just noticed your logo/pic and the laid carve, seems you are very skilled :clap2:...unless of course it is not you :lol2:
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Monday 27 February 2012, 23:16

keepTheSport wrote:When I look at the videos from the EC meets, everyone seems so skilled and I will be so rubbish when I turn up to my first EC meet buy hey I can live with that. I'll be there to learn.
This kind of thinking is quite common... But this is EXACTLY why I've decided to push our Polish Carving Session this way -> to help people in catching basic carving skills :-)

Check it here -> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9372

We have organized 2 kinds of classes. One for people having problems with proper basic position and initiation of a turn and the other classes for people who can carve but are unable to fully lay down :-) It says that it is for moderate to high level snowboarders which in my opinion means people who can at least carve on edges (you are rookie till you catch an edge, then moderate till you catch proper position and finally became advanced once able to carve at least 2 different styles with a smooth edge transition and continuous S line shaped turns :bravo: This "moderate" level should be easily achievable in 2 weeks on snow. I mean that a maximum of 14 snow days should make it possible. Once you know how to turn using your edges, we will teach you how to make it in a proper way and how to make some more progress!

Next PCS will be in the beginning of January 2013, so basically before the season... Flying to Cracow will make a thing, the rest is done by being carried by one of the 20 cars which will drive through this city when going to PCS :-)

It is meant as a meeting for everyone. Not just for good carvers :clap3:
www.carvingskills.com

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Tuesday 28 February 2012, 21:33

Abrax, I'm glad I am finding all these things out now as I will have to start saving for two holidays next January: one in Poland and one in Switzerland :) Blinking heck I think I might have to get a second job :roll: Sounds like great fun though.

I seem to be able to carve 'S' okay on a moderate slope by doing cross-over turns. I am practicing the cross-under by doing push-pull technique.

Any excuse to drink 5litres of B vitamin beer "...the rest of the collected money will be spent in the pub during the evening party..." :lol2:
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Tuesday 28 February 2012, 21:40

:-) Mirek has promised to bring home made lemon vodka once again! The taste was incredible! One of the best alcohols I've ever drunk...
keepTheSport wrote:two holidays next January: one in Poland and one in Switzerland

So we shell meet two times... ;)
www.carvingskills.com

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Thursday 1 March 2012, 19:53

Abrax, I think Mirek looks like such a sensible chap from his picture. and Mirek's other hobby is making 'lemon vodka' :lol2:

I can make quite a good lemon cake... not quite as appealing though :)
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Friday 27 July 2012, 20:16

raichle 123.JPG
raichle 123.JPG (26.24 KiB) Viewed 11523 times
Well these are my latest boots... arrived today :) These are Raichle 123's..may mean more to you experts...and they are exactly the same size (I checked upper and lower shell sizes) as my DeeLuxe LeMans...I thought I was getting smaller boots :roll: ...I'll open a shop soon at this rate :lol2: .... Surprisingly, these boots feel easier to flex forward (this may be due to only having a velcro strap across the top whereas Le Mans have a ratchet fastener at the top??) and they do fit much better around the toe area and across the width of my foot (comfortably tight)...

....I took out the liners and tried them in the Le Mans but still the Le Mans felt bigger. I have to strap these boots up suffocatingly(ish) tight to feel there's some kind of energy transference from my feet...I shall see, it could be psychosomatic as they are my latest alpine toy:lol2:

...still got springs to fit yet...which pair do I put them on :?: Perhaps the Le Mans will be great with springs on...decisions...decisions :wall: ..,One thing's for sure I'll try the 123's out before I make any changes...Only once I've sorted out the boots can I buy a SWOARD :pray2:

Anyway, some of you may have tried both boots and know what is going on..any comments appreciated :bravo:

PS stuff that should not matter but it does to me... I really like the blingy blue colour of the Le Mans :naughty:
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

Fefe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Fefe » Tuesday 31 July 2012, 8:18

Hello

There is a saying in france, one shall not argue about tastes and colours :)
About the boot tuning, you can add more forward flex by removing bits of lower shell as explained in abrax' deeluxe acss thread. If you plan this mod, you will have to remove the upper shell. You should check if you can do this on your boots. I discovered I had to drill through the canting screws on my old raichle boots and purchase spare canting system :?

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Tuesday 31 July 2012, 8:41

Hi Fefe :-)

I was let these boots (raichles) for tuning some time ago and I realized that I don't really want to mess up with these screws... Finally I've cut this from the inside with my dremel tool.

keepTheSport -> As I know how much troubles did Fefe have with his shells after having one of these screws damaged, I do not recommend messing up with them - it's better to spend a lot of time and cut it milimeter by milimeter with a hand carpet knife -> but please take care!!! This action is extremely dangerous to your skin!!!
www.carvingskills.com

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Tuesday 31 July 2012, 19:33

Hi

My courage has been amiss for cutting into a pair of these boots...

...Yeh I'll be reading the 'instructions' again...Dremel :?: ...I've got a circular saw and a grinder :badgrin: ...gotta' get some courage from somewhere... :roll:
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

Fefe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Fefe » Thursday 2 August 2012, 1:48

Hi Abrax

Well, after trying for hours not messing up the screws, I found another way :evil2: Drilling machine and standard canting spare parts :tongue: In the end, I'm happy, the boots got new classic canting pieces, also toe and heel pads and fullly moldable liners. After that, I was interested in replacing the buckles by deeluxe racing ones but enough work on these boots this season (or I'm rather tired of drilling :lol2: ) And I'm not sure they will bring a big improvement.

Keepthesport, as Abrax said, be careful. As for which boot to put the acss on, I would say deeluxe seems the better choice, just because of the amount of work to be done, as long as its upper shell can be removed easily. Before that, foot comfort is more important, have the boots fit your feet 1st. Depending on how too big your shoes are, different boot fitting techniques can be used

Good luck