How to make skiers ride safer?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

How to make skiers ride safer?

Post by starikashka » Saturday 17 December 2011, 17:10

Does somebody know any legal method to make such guys to ride with bigger distance from my kid?

BTW: Who knows what responsibility i will have if i hit this guy in face or take his ski off and throw it from the cliff in case of collision?
i`m learning

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: How to make skiers ride safer?

Post by pokkis » Saturday 17 December 2011, 17:18

Just typical tube-brain skier.

au
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by au » Saturday 17 December 2011, 17:44

starikashka wrote:BTW: Who knows what responsibility i will have if i hit this guy in face or take his ski off and throw it from the cliff in case of collision?
Did you finish him? lol :D

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 17 December 2011, 17:46

No,he was lucky. Now i use this video to explain to my daughter why it is important to look around.
i`m learning

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 17 December 2011, 17:56

By the way. I had very interesting conversation with Soelden-Hochsoelden skischule instructor Mathi. I was speeding from 38th slope aiming to reach chairlift to slope 34. There was a lot of space between crowd and parking area on Tiefenbach. Suddenly other highspeed guy on skis appear in this space, he was descending from opposite direction. I shouted and he change his direction so i just ride over skis. Few seconds later i was stopped by instructor shouting to me in German - Langsam!!Langsam!!

I agree with him that i was a little bit bad guy to ride with a high speed in that area, but why that anger was directed only for me i did not understood. I would share this video with skiing instructors with kind request to tell something to their students how to ride safer at least around little kids.
i`m learning

gege31
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by gege31 » Saturday 17 December 2011, 19:55

I'm mad at this kind of guys too, and they could snowboard, same anger. Especially, like in your case, when the slope is so wide and they decide anyway to ride so close to me or my kids. I often ride behind my kids to kind of protect them, especially when it's a bit crowded, but that can't prevent all the risks.
Swoard Gen4 168M n°1102 F2 Race Titanium
Head Stratos pro
Raichle AF600TS

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Sunday 18 December 2011, 15:27

I'm sorry, the truth is that we can do nothing with it.

The skier is very rookie. The slope is wide, but it is not in his mind to calculate that the snowboarder will take more place than he (being skier) would do.

I know that when it comes to our children, the gun would be probably the most obvious weapon against this kind of skiers, but finally we are just people and we have to respect ourselves.

The only thing which comes to my mind, is to promote the FIS rules in every situation. Skiers should put in their minds that we almost always carve and they almost always slide.

Carving takes much more place!
www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Monday 19 December 2011, 9:14

I don't think it's a skier problem. This is just a guy that is not experienced enough.
Fridgecarver

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Monday 19 December 2011, 10:04

This is a never ending problem and discussion. It is the same with car drivers and bicyclists. To understand the problem properly you have to be both a snowoarder and skier. In this case it was an unexperienced skier. In many resorts, there are skiers that think they are good and run like DidierCuche, Axel Lund Svindal and other top downhillers when the slopes are open to the common public. To stop them is a task for the ski patrols.
Next time you are on the slopes, skiing or snowboarding, try this exercise.
1) Find an empty, very wide slope when you are almost alone.
2) Stop on the very edge of the slope.
3) Stay there for a couple of minutes and watch what happens.
Have any of you done this? What is your experience?
harald

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Monday 19 December 2011, 10:37

What happens? As usual there are skiers, who go down taking just a few meters of wideness and going few times faster than a carving snowboarder...

The main problem is that a carver goes much faster but perpendicular to the slope fall line and a skier goes parallel to the fall line. In case of crash the speeds adds their vectors and the result is usually really unpleasant for the skier. Unpleasant because we use protective gear massively and they don't. So finally we carvers are judged to be bad, because we are finally less hurt than the skiers.

Of corse there is another point of this problem: Our heads are just on the same level as their boots or what is much worse -> sharp as hell ski edges.

I've seen a life risky cut of the carver leg which has finally ended good. The carver was really lucky because he has lost about 2 liters of his blood on slope and then was taken directly to a helicopter which has come just few minutes after the accident.

This is a serious problem, because even if we are first on the slope and someone comes completely unseen from the above, we risk way too much.

A massive campaign on the ways of behavior on slope would help but it is too expensive for that small group as snowboard carvers.
www.carvingskills.com

leeho730
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by leeho730 » Monday 19 December 2011, 15:51

I recon one skier getting jailed will solve the problem.

I ski too but some skiers believing they deserve more than snowboarders... Just pure arrogance.
Swoard 168M&S / Dual 158
TD3SW /F2 / Ibex
Stratos / RC10 / T700

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Monday 19 December 2011, 16:26

I think skiers are not problem, rather carvers due they need more space. SLopes are designed to be slided directly downhill without doing any real turns, and carvers are braking that rule :naughty:

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Monday 19 December 2011, 16:52

pokkis wrote:I think skiers are not problem, rather carvers due they need more space. SLopes are designed to be slided directly downhill without doing any real turns, and carvers are braking that rule :naughty:
True. Carvers are making exactly the same annoying wide turns all over the slope ski classes make. You're not supposed to ride like you learned when taking classes! You're a grownup boy now!
Fridgecarver

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Monday 19 December 2011, 17:03

Come on, I've got Swoard! This should let me take WHOLE wideness if I want to ;) Others should stop at the side and look at my perfect carving and should shout: WOW!

:silly: :bravo:
www.carvingskills.com

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mirekd » Monday 19 December 2011, 23:53

Hi !
pokkis wrote:I think skiers are not problem, rather carvers due they need more space. SLopes are designed to be slided directly downhill without doing any real turns, and carvers are braking that rule :naughty:
Transistor Rhythm wrote:I don't think it's a skier problem. This is just a guy that is not experienced enough.
I agree with those opinions!
I went skiing a long time. I think that this problem applies to both inexperienced skiers and snowboarders. I agree with pokkis that snowboarders pose a greater threat, because the turns are made perpendicular to the slope.
The training program for skiers in safe driving should include inter alia, the possible directions snowboarders ride. The training program the snowboarders should be placed emphasis on observation of the slope before the turn.

The following example, the correct observation of the slope at the time of driving fast down:
Ben looks up ...
Ben смотрит вверх....jpg
Ben looks up ...
And this movie:
Ben смотрит вверх..1.jpg
4-second "flight" Ben
Ben смотрит вверх..1.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 15016 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPaT5RW ... r_embedded

I greet :)
mirek
Like "joemzl" and others - extreme dreamer every day...