Protective clothes and equipment

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Protective clothes and equipment

Post by mirekd » Sunday 6 November 2011, 17:56

Hello!
What's new in the topic: The protection of the body while driving?
(last post in english forum on this topic: HERE: "Dainese wear"-5.01.2005) and HERE: "Mitts or gloves for EC?"-13.12.2003

Is protective clothing is needed or not?
Protector.jpg
Protector.jpg (27.77 KiB) Viewed 12630 times
What it is necessary to buy? Of which can be dispensed?
Protectors.jpg
Do motorcycle protective clothing suitable for extremecerving?
motorcycle-body-armour-review-dainese-wave-v-1-2-3-neck-jacket.jpg
motorcycle-body-armour-review-dainese-wave-v-1-2-3-neck-jacket.jpg (68.26 KiB) Viewed 12630 times
What elements have passed the practical exam protection? Which brands are best?
Are you able to share new experiences?

I greet... :)
mirek
Like "joemzl" and others - extreme dreamer every day...

tali

Re: Protective clothes and equipment

Post by tali » Sunday 6 November 2011, 18:25

Vahur, what kind of marvellous body armor you had at ECS-2010? You said it was something with d3o... :roll:

Looping
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Looping » Sunday 6 November 2011, 18:51

Hello Mirekd. As a biker i would say you won't have any bad surprises with Dainese protection products (for clothes some bikers prefer Alpinestars products but it's a point of view :tongue:... ) but for protection they just fit perfectly and are the best to me. I have a dainese full coat jacket for snowboard bought on sales, and now i could'nt ride without (or a back protector) just as my helmet. The problem is that dainese is quite expensive but it's quite easy to find sales on those products on internet, bikers equipment shops or mountain bike shop. But you can find other brands either.
If it's suitable for motorbike it's suitable for snowboard, ski or mountainbike, the contrary is not always true. But sometimes bike products are thicker or stronger maybe and can prevent you from moving as you desire on a snowboard. Anyway some products are identical for bike, snowboard or mountainbike (eg : back protector model Wave or Shield are suitable for every of those sports)

Thomas.
EC168S/Redline/UPZ RC10 ACSS

Salomon Man's board 156/Salomon Quantum/Nitro Team TLS

Syldavid
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Syldavid » Sunday 6 November 2011, 19:59

Sometime Arnaud puts football equipment (shin protect) on forearm......less expensive :wink:
Pro1 168H - Dual 168 - Stoke 162H

vkrouverk
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by vkrouverk » Sunday 6 November 2011, 22:22

tali wrote:Vahur, what kind of marvellous body armor you had at ECS-2010? You said it was something with d3o... :roll:
Hi!
Yes, it was d3o product, from Spyder. I found something similar here: http://www.spyder.com/products/mens/t-n ... color/8074
Basically it's "top" (I'd prefer something more long in body area, but it's just me, still hasn't accustomed to latest fashion) with protection pads in shoulder, elbow, forearm and shoulder blade area. This protection feels soft when touched but it toughtens when hit. More info about d3o can be found here: http://www.d3o.com/d3o-technology/ It's quite comfortable to wear, only problem I found is that the elbow pads tend to roll around arm and not provide maximum protection because of this and this spyder logo doesn't stand wash and comes off. But apart from this no complaints.
IIRC someone produces also jackets with integrated d3o protection pads. Also hats are produced with d3o but I personally don't want to change helmet against such product right now (although in youtube there is marketing video where such hat is tested with shovel :D )
In addition to this I also wear back protector, as this shirt does not have any protection in spine area. And in case of extreme carving also protection for hips is good to consider: I personally haven't bought any but have thought about it when slope is icy and edge slipping causes hip slam against hard surface. Knee-bum protection is good for learning snowboarding but not so important for experienced carvers IMO.
Converting potential energy to kinetic..

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Monday 7 November 2011, 9:49

mirekd wrote:Is protective clothing is needed or not?
YES, it is

First: helmet of course (I think we don´t have to talk about that)

Second: back protector. Lots of carvers use it. Think of another skier or boarder hitting you
while doing a laid turn or sitting on the slope. And many other possibilities of getting injured without.

Third: hip protector. As Vahur wrote: slipping out on icy slopes is no fun. - And that is the reason for number

four: elbow protector. I will use it this season for the first time. It´s a cheap shin protector (coming from football)
that I modified a bit for my demands. (Will have to test it, if it works. If so, I can give an advice)

Fifth: I use one knee protector. Didn´t really need it till now, but maybe if I´ll ride without it. :silly:

Maybe one time I will buy a full protector suit, but for now I would feel a bit overdressed for my max. 15 days on snow.

Ahh, forgot about the gloves: don´t know what is necessary, but I use Levels.
Maybe it´s something that could be discussed in an extra thread.
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

aileron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by aileron » Tuesday 15 November 2011, 9:39

Dear all,

I ride with a Knoxx "armor" as it is a bit shorter on the back than the Dainese (more practical to seat). The back protection is not so long and i use a knoxx boxer for coccyx.
Movements are not favorised off course but it is ok for my beginner level!
175M + F2 intec + Deeluxe

ai laissé 2 cotes à l'ECS'08

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Tuesday 15 November 2011, 10:51

Last Year on our secon PCS edition, there were a lot of accidents. Skiers were falling, catching air within 10 minutes, picking their gear and coming down the slope while being very painful...

Generally 1 fall, = 1 less skier on the slope

Yes, this was a black slope...

It was really funny situation because all of us, carving on snowboards and falling all the time, were OK, and no one was really quitting the slope...

After few hours of carving, we've decided to go for a coffee and something to eat.

Imagine all these eyes watching us, while taking off our jackets and usually showing the underlaying full body armor... :bravo:

Yes, protective gear is the most important part of Your wear. Remember it well!
www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!

frunobulax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by frunobulax » Tuesday 15 November 2011, 12:46

Of course you need protective gear, at least to get rid of the bruises on underarm and hips.

Best part of my gear is the McDavid Hexpad Protection Short 7740. Made for soccer goalkeepers, but perfect for us. Light, flexible, no more bruises. http://www.hex-pad.com/mcdavid/pc/viewP ... ategory=74

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Tuesday 15 November 2011, 12:52

www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!

mirekd
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mirekd » Tuesday 15 November 2011, 23:01

Thanks for all the advice! :wink:
And what's new in "Protective gloves"?
Mitts or gloves or ... these? (Example photos).
Gloves.jpg
The choice of gloves is a thing of taste, comfort or safety and practice? Kevlar or metal stiffeners ?

Maybe some (actual) examples of gloves tested in practice? :)

mirek
Like "joemzl" and others - extreme dreamer every day...

olive
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by olive » Wednesday 16 November 2011, 10:33

As for gloves, at the present time these seem to be more durable compared to any other, as long as you add a layer of liquid rubber on the palm side:

http://www.texasmusicnews.net/FreePage25.htm

For those who understand french, they have been discussed in the french forum:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6195&p=61724&hilit= ... les#p61724
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9225&p=100669&hilit ... es#p100669

Olivier
Swoard EC Pro2 168H
Swell Panik Magistral 185

Surfing is life, the rest is details