Two Questions

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

bowen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Two Questions

Post by bowen » Friday 30 July 2004, 9:54

Hello together,

The Season is getting closer and closer :D so i have two Questions:

I am looking for a new board and the special thing is, that i have a credit at my dealer because the broken elliminator-board on wich i learnd my first carving moves last year. I can take the 04/05 one or an other board for the same or a higher price.
So i have to choose a board from f2 again.
Silberpfeil or speedster rs? wich one is better for extreme carving?
i am 1.80m, 90-100kg wich size?

Hopfully i wil come to one of the carving-sessions, but i think till then i have something to learn.
Do someone, in best case patrice or jaques :wink: , give privat lessons?!
The most SNB-Scools are not specialiced on carving, and i am not so bad. So the most of the teachers are shure better in other disziplines of boarding, but in carving they cant`tell me something new.

I am looking forward that someone how can do real extremecarving, may give me lessons for a good price.

Sorry for the bad english and regards from the sunny bavaria!!!

bowen
...sunny days ar the best!

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Tw questions

Post by István » Friday 30 July 2004, 12:14

Hey,

1. I'd go for a Silberpfeil 172, Speedster RS is more like racing. I still have a Silberpfeil of that size, it is feasible to do EC on that, but when you reach the extremes (fully laid backside turn) your heels will touch the snow and decrease the edge preassure, unless you have a smaller foot than mine or have a more sharp angle. (for foot 44, front 66 back 63 with heel lift is the minimum in order to avoid overhang at fully laid turns on the back)

2. I agree, I have not seen any real good carvers in snowboard schools (there might be some, but I have not seen any, yet). I am far from being a pro, and not even a teacher, but I'm planning to go to Sölden sometime in September (maybe en of August), so we can meet there if you wish. (Forget the money - you can buy me a beer :-) )

Cheers,

István

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Friday 30 July 2004, 13:13

Hi,
i would certainly go with RS, they have much better radius for carving than SP. Several of our riders have sold SPs away due too tight radius for carving, that board suites much better to tighter track than to carving.
I've been carving on 188 and 183 RS and they both felt ok for carving too. My boot size is 27.5 so i was able ride them both flat at 55-60 angles without any probs with overhang.
Normally i ride boards with 18cm width but then i need 65/70 angles, flat :wink:
If you have seen TCSB trailer or full film, you can see me riding there with my 18cm width Burners (im the guy with black back bag and helmet). Also beginning of HBU session there is clips of Nicklas riding on his RS aswell several otheres on RS too, that board is easy to recognize from yellow top sheet :)

bowen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bowen » Friday 30 July 2004, 13:47

thanx so far, but please more opinions.

the rs has allso a bigger width!
@pokkis: on your website in gallery hbu2004camara pics i can see a silberpfeil of the season 04/05, how did you do that?! :wink:
...sunny days ar the best!

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Friday 30 July 2004, 13:53

We had several 04/05 F2s there for test, thanks to Mats who is organizer of HBU session :wink:

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Monday 9 August 2004, 11:56

Hi,
I have no experience with the Silberpfeil, but with F2 Speedster GTS, with about the same radius, F2 RS 173 and Swoard 168 H. If you cannot get a Swoard, I would go for a GS. As Pokkis said, the radius is better for carving and EC. The RS is a little bit wider than the Silberpfeil. The radius of the Silberpfeil is to short when the speed increases.
harald

Arjan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Arjan » Wednesday 11 August 2004, 15:50

Hi,

I have experience with both a RS and Silberfpeil. Both can be used for EC, but the RS makes bigger turns, thus easier to use for EC. I even use the F2 SL for EC.

If i had to choose, i would take the Hot 167. It's more stable than the F2 RS, gives more rebound and is perfect for EC!

Just my 2 cents.

Lee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lee » Wednesday 11 August 2004, 16:15

I would go with Arjans recommendation... The Hot 167 is perfect due to is 11m radius...

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Facts

Post by István » Thursday 12 August 2004, 15:46

Fellas,

I'm not debating anyone's opinion, just want to put some facts on the table (freedom of speach and opinion :-) ):

F2 Silberpfeil 172 - 11m radius
F2 Speedster RS 176 - 14m radius
Hot Blast 167 - 11m radius

1. If the radius of silberpfeil 172 is too small at high speeds (which indeed is the case) why would the Blast 167 better?

2. Why would a guy around 100 kg and 180 cm ride a 167 board?? That board is designed to some 60+ weight.

3. On the width of the RS I agree, but that will not change the fact that it is more a race board, while Silberpfeil is more a carving board

In addition, you might want to try the Virus custom made EC model (sorry Swoard team, no offense, no advertisement, you know that my heart is also beating for you :-) )

Cheers,

István

Arjan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Arjan » Thursday 12 August 2004, 15:50

The Hot is has more width than a Silberpfeil and is less nervous at higher speeds. You could go for the 176 if the 167 is too small...

Which Virus is that? I have a Virus Predator Custom (wooden topsheet). 163 cm and a width of around 21 cm. A real beast in the snow!!!!
Chillaxin - snowsports
www.chillaxin.nl

frunobulax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by frunobulax » Wednesday 8 September 2004, 14:30

Got both 183 RS and 172 Silberpfeil (heigth 192 cm, weight 85 kg). Both boards are ok for carving but the RS is more fun because it offers much more stability at high speeds (16 m sidecut radius!) and is a little bit wider so you need not use 60+ angles. Ok for laid turns because you have very much time between the turns to adjust your position but a deadly weapon on overcrowded slopes.
I use the Silberpfeil mainly for difficult conditions, crowded or narrow slopes. SP is very stiff and not easy to ride, nose tends to dig into the snow, rather nervous at high speeds but tremendous edge grip.

Once I tried a 177 RS (15 m sidecut radius) which felt more "natural" to me, somewhat easier to ride and no difference in high speed stability to the 183 RS.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

not impossible !

Post by nils » Wednesday 8 September 2004, 15:53

Its not impossible to do EC on a small radius board ( my avatar pic is shot on a 158 Hot Blast with 9m radius! ) It's just extremely fast turns, and very tricky to recover from each turn... The backside is even trickier :) and the problem was mostly the small width that made it hard for me to use ( steep angles!!)

Try to use a radius between 12-13m if u are a tall guy...

Nils

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Wednesday 8 September 2004, 16:11

New F2 RS are not as stiff as some years back so even radius for them is 16M, if you push it it will turn nicely like small baby :)
And when not pushing too hard you can really join good spped capability of board. My choice would be 183 or next shorte one.
They are best option of statndard boards on that size class. For EC style filosophy some extra width would be nice 8)

WokkingMax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WokkingMax » Thursday 9 September 2004, 9:36

totally agree with nils! for EC the best radius is at 12 to 13 meters. with a smaller one the turn will be too narrow when u lay down so u wont have enough time. more than 13 meters is just a matter how strong u are cause ur turns get much wider and therefore ur much faster :twisted: . with the width it depends on urself. i experienced that im so much used to those high angles that i have probs myself with those wide boards. maybe i should try a swoard once again to get used to it :wink: .

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Thursday 9 September 2004, 10:17

On Zinal film there are few clips of me :D and on those i'm riding with 185 with 11 m radius and 178 with 16m radius. It is quite hard to see wich one is used in wich clip. OK, i'm not doing proper EC turns :oops: but my point is that also other characteristics of board have effect here. Stiffness of board, length of board etc.
But short radius will make turns too tight quite easily so general rule should be for 13 m radius :lol:
And if someone says that i have strong feet, i will :tongue: