ON EDGE tv

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Ballard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: ON EDGE tv

Post by Ballard » Friday 4 November 2011, 6:48

Thanks for your opinions. If you see us on the hill, stop by and say hi. Keep on growing alpine snowboarding one turn at a time!

The Blitz
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Blitz » Friday 4 November 2011, 13:55

Hi Ballard,
don't hesitate to embed on this forum your video during this season...The project is interesting.

Edit : I'm very surprise this is not possible to include directly Youtube or Vimeo's video :think:
 - 168XH Pro - Custom Dual 168H - Swallow Undertakeur 185

-- Tignes 19 au 25 mars --

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re:

Post by pokkis » Friday 4 November 2011, 14:07

The Blitz wrote: Edit : I'm very surprise this is not possible to include directly Youtube or Vimeo's video :think:
This would require adding support them via admin interbace in BBCode section, like :

Code: Select all

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/{SIMPLETEXT}[/vimeo]

Code: Select all

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v={SIMPLETEXT}[/youtube]
Plus naturally also relevant HTL substitues, but too lazy copy them in this thread :dogeyes:

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Friday 4 November 2011, 14:15

I've subscribed to your channel. I remember seeing a series of this some time ago?
Fridgecarver

Ballard
Rank 3
Rank 3

ON EDGE tv

Post by Ballard » Saturday 5 November 2011, 6:18

Heres a quick update about what we are up to this week. Next week, Copper mtn, Colorado!

https://youtu.be/wsiEfvg0BeM?hd=1

Ballard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Team CSC update: Copper, Colorado

Post by Ballard » Saturday 12 November 2011, 5:40

Just a quick update about our training camp in Copper mtn, Colorado

https://youtu.be/Vb1nrJn2dgg?hd=1

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 12 November 2011, 7:41

I've seen light green boots. What is it?
i`m learning

Willow 15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Willow 15 » Saturday 12 November 2011, 9:52

If its the ones I've seen, Dalbello Krypton Pro ski boots.
PJ7

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Saturday 12 November 2011, 10:14

Sure, that it´s not a G-Style (japanese hardboot)?

Edit: ah, slow motion shows it´s not. :oops:
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

Ballard
Rank 3
Rank 3

ON EDGE tv

Post by Ballard » Friday 18 November 2011, 2:22

Check it: Episode 1 of On Edge tv: adventures and travels of some of Canada's top alpine snowboarders pursuing their goals and dreams.

absone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by absone » Wednesday 23 November 2011, 16:23

fivat wrote:Indeed. Eurocarve is an obsolete term used by the Americans in the nineties about the Europeans who were the first to carve (simply ride on the edge). A Vitelli turn is a front side turn made in counter-rotation: an old and historical move from the nineties too.
We are in 2011.
Serge Vitelli does not counter rotate. That is a blasphemous statement and may be one reason he rides exclusively in the Andes now.
Furthermore, the V-turn is actually the creation of Dave Dowd of Boulder Colorado that Serge learned when he lived with Dave in Breckenridge Colorado. I am not claiming the Eurocarve is actually American but Dave Dowd still rips just as Serge Vitelli; if you get a chance to ride with these guys jump on it. The first to carve is a very controversial statement and not inclusive or pushing the sport forward.

The fundamentals of carving has not changed, only the equipment. Riding technique has been refined and keeping with equipment refinement as you guys continue to demonstrate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[EDIT from the moderators]

This author has been identified as a dealer of another brand (which copied Swoard... by the way).
So the intention beyond this message (mixing right things and wrong things) is clear.
absone wrote:Serge Vitelli does not counter rotate. That is a blasphemous statement and may be one reason he rides exclusively in the Andes now.
This is rather a blasphemous statement to say that Patrice Fivat could write wrong things. As it can be easily seen in all old pictures showing Serge in frontside turn, his shoulders and hips are facing the tip of the board. This is not the result of a rotation as explained in this Web site, but a counter-rotation. No problem with this: it's history and we all loved to do this in the past. Serge will always stay a legend. The founders of EC.com show since 2002 a different technique which has now become popular, especially in France, Italy and Russia.
Serge has stopped alpine snowboarding a long time ago. He prefers now freeriding with soft boots, because this is the market and where the money is. He is living in France, not in the Andes. We would welcome him back to alpine snowboarding.

Other riders than this unkown "Dave Dowd" were carving hard before him and before Serge. For example Phil Garcia from France (who remembers him?). Serge had simply the best style (N.B: style and technique have different meanings) and made some great pictures which popularized alpine snowboarding.

Carving is simply riding on the edge. In this sense the fundamentals have not changed. The Vitelli turn was just a move, a trick. Extremecarving (as named by Patrice and Jacques) is now a discipline by itself, with a technique which is very different from what we can see in the old videos of the nineties. Note that the backside laid turns have been greatly improved: they were rarely seen in the past, and not really fully laid.

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Wednesday 23 November 2011, 16:48

absone wrote:Serge Vitelli does not counter rotate.
interesting, interesting - and what does the guy in my avatar? :think:
That turn is wearing his name, but he never rides like this? :silly:
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Wednesday 23 November 2011, 17:20

joemzl wrote:
absone wrote:Serge Vitelli does not counter rotate.
interesting, interesting - and what does the guy in my avatar? :think:
That turn is wearing his name, but he never rides like this? :silly:
It is possible.

Columbus have discovered America, but just one small country named after him :-) not entire continent :-)
i`m learning

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Wednesday 23 November 2011, 19:19

Yes, absone!!! :bravo:

Defend the heroes!!!

I can´t remember Serge Vitelli using much counter rotation in his fluent style ...

But let´s not start this discussion again :wink: ... it seems that everyone has a different idea of what counter rotation actually is and whether it is really a bad thing ... for some people it seems that no rotation is seen already as counter rotation (how can no rotation be some kind of rotation :think: ?).

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Thursday 24 November 2011, 9:21

Does it exist any movies showing Serge Vitelli riding? Then we can see and judge ourselves.
harald