Where to buy edge sharpener

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

SITO
Rank 5
Rank 5

Where to buy edge sharpener

Post by SITO » Saturday 3 July 2004, 12:45

Hi all

Here in this forum there was a post , about a good edge sharpener :lol: of the brand tooltonic, could somebody said me where in Europe can I buy it?? :?: Because in the web of tooltonic in his section of retailers only give you the direcction and the phone of the shops, and don't give you his emails. :cry:

Sito
Ride hard;100% fun

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Saturday 3 July 2004, 15:47

Hi, SITO
How are you?

I use this tool for two seasons now, I am very satisfied :D :D
I sharpen the skies from my wife, son and daughter, also three snowboards with it.

I ordered it by the guys direct from Switzerland with some spares. You have to pay some taxes over it, but I got some rebat. Success. If you email them they will answere you very soon and helpful.

Greets, Hans.
http://www.tooltonic.com/

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Saturday 3 July 2004, 15:52

I'm having same tool and can recommend it warmly.
I've got mine in Zinal session :D but as stated by Hans one could order them via net too

SITO
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SITO » Saturday 3 July 2004, 21:27

Thanks guys for help me; :lol: :lol:

Hey Hans, which was the spares that you ordered with the sharpener, and wich is his function?? :?: ,(if I ordered one perhaps I need for a good work on my edges this spare)

Sito
Ride hard;100% fun

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Saturday 3 July 2004, 21:41

Hoi, SITO

Because I order this set only once, I ordered some extra milling and diamond files (LF10 and LFG10, you can find them in the pricelist). Because I not only do my boards but also some skipreparation, it wouldn't hurt to buy some extra parts since this tool and parts aren't that expensive. You can also ask the guys from Tooltonic which spareparts you need the best. They were very helpful to me. Because they send it all in a small box, customs didn't notice the package I think, so I didn't pay any incometaxes.

Greets, Hans.

SITO
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SITO » Sunday 4 July 2004, 0:29

Ok Hans

I'll go ahead with your advice asking to the Tooltonics guys all what I need for a fine work

Also I think , that if all the Tooltonics items comes in a small box the customs don't notice anything so I will not to pay any taxes. :wink:

Thanks Sito
Ride hard;100% fun

Jandro
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Jandro » Wednesday 18 August 2004, 17:36

Que pasa Sito

You don,t need that tool. Just take one of those new boards you have with sharped edges and wait for next saison in Zinal to buy it. :D :D
You can have mine (no use) if you really really need it for Xanadu. But you will have to come to Zaragoza to get it. :wink:

saludos

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Sharpeners

Post by István » Thursday 19 August 2004, 9:19

Hans, Pokkis,

Just a question on sharpeners. I've seen a couple of types but I always had a feeling that the performance of any handy sharpener is way below the results that a sharpener machine can produce. It highly depends on the pressure you apply, the condition of the files, the way you do ot, etc.

Edges never really become sharp and shiny (really even and smooth surface) with those.

Of course, I also have one (Toko) and I use it when there is a major fuck-up happened to my edge, so only in emergency cases.

I also understand that a grinding machine consumes more of the edges, thus the board will not last that long, so it gives some meaning to the usage of handy ones.

Anyhow, is the result of the sharpener you use comparable to a machine made sharpening?

Kindest,

István

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Sharpening with Tooltonic

Post by Hans » Thursday 19 August 2004, 18:52

Hi, Istvan

When I have sharpened my skies and boards with this tool I cut my bread with my board as a matter of speaking. I hope this is convincing you enough :wink:

Greets, Hans.

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Thursday 19 August 2004, 19:58

There are machines and machines for sharpening too :D
Sharpening edge manually with hand tool requires allway some skills, as well sharpening them properly on machines too.
Shop that i'm using, have full automatic machine for sharpening, where you can program what you want. That is hard to beat with manual tool, specially if you want different angles in different part of edge 8)
But from manual tool i've seen and used this Tooltonic tool is miles ahead anything else. One can, if one has some experience, get suprising good rsults with this tool. BUT beginners should be carefull cause one can easily destroy edges of board either using tool wrong way (that can happen with any tool but with this one it is not easy but possible) or filing cants so much that at end of seson edges are used totally :)
Me personally try use sharpener as little as possible, only when there is really need for sharpening edges. For example in conditions like 2004 Zinal session, i did not see point using sharpener except for testing purposes. Snow was there so soft and holding all weekend. But when one hits harder surface, then there is time, if edges start feel not sharp enough :lol:
I've seen people taking very good care of base and top of board, so board would live long, but same time sharpening edges so often that i see edges wear out before board starts to look really used :think:
Interestingly we have same topic in our forum too :lol:

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

tooltonic

Post by nils » Thursday 19 August 2004, 22:02

We are working on a special tuning section for the website, and it will explain how to use this nice tool (should be ready before nov-dec)... As for ordering the TF10 ( name of the sharpener is tuning file) it can be done by sending an email to info@tooltonic.com.
You can say you come from Swoard this way you will not get a rebate ( hehe) but we will get a few tuning sets and free files for our tunings if many of you buy them TF10 :) ( and thus your new board tuning when we have the time to do it by hand )!!

As for what to buy: I sharpened about 100 boards this winter, using mostly the TF10 package, and a smaller finishing file + a longer diamond file (400) + a arkansas stone when i felt i wanted to be a maniac and polish the steel to mirror !.... For the base I just bought the 1° base guide that fits the 400 file to get some base angle on my personnal board.

The main file ( strawberry file) stays sharp for at least 50 strong sharpenings, so basically if you order two of them you will last 5-10 years if you avoid rust.

Nils