NEWBIE ALERT!!! Spring stiffness recommendations

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

vizsyn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: NEWBIE ALERT!!! Spring stiffness recommendations

Post by vizsyn » Thursday 13 October 2011, 3:20

Hi Fin!

OOPS! I made a mistake in saying machining the BASEPLATE 8O , I actually meant the CANT DISC. You are absolutely correct, machining the base plate thinner would be a recipe for catastrophic structural failure, ouch!

Now, since you are the FIN from Bomber Industries himself, question.... would machining a 0 degree CANT DISC -3mm be inviting structural trouble as well? I'd ride the setup as-is right now, and chances are I'd probably not notice the difference anyway.

Any word as to when in November would the TD3SW be available?
Riding softboots since '96. Saw EXTREME OPUS 4 "LIFTED" in 2010... Back to Square 1

Fin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fin » Thursday 13 October 2011, 19:14

Ah, that does make more sense on talking about the Cant Disk and no the Base Plate. However, I would still not suggest maching down any part of the binding at this point. We have thousands of carvers out there running the standard system with no issues. I would suggest running the system as it is, then deciding if you want to change it.

Just e-mailed you on the TD3 SW. Bottom line, they are ready and shipping :clap:
Fin

=============================
Bomber Industries, Inc
Email: fin@bomberonline.com
129 W. 10th St. Unit A
P.O. Box 1667, Silverthorne, CO, 80498
970/513-7733 Fax: 970/513-7833
www.bomberonline.com

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Friday 14 October 2011, 15:59

Hi Fin,

We saw on Bomber store that you have now IN STOCK Head Stratos sizes that were previously unavailable for the last several months. Does it mean that Head produced a new batch of boots or is it an old stock ?
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

vizsyn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vizsyn » Friday 14 October 2011, 16:32

@Fin

Yessir! I placed my TD3SW order, thank you and Michelle for helping me take care of this. On a side-note, I will heed your advice and ride the bindings stock :mrgreen:

@Arnaud

Yes, I saw that too when I was at the Bomber site ordering the bindings. We all certainly hope that Bomber Industries did in fact get a new batch of HSP boots, it would indeed be a shame if HEAD were to discontinue production of a boot so well-suited for EC(once properly modified)... Northwave would have had the EC market cornered... Maybe one day, I'll find the long-lost Northwave molds :evil2:
Riding softboots since '96. Saw EXTREME OPUS 4 "LIFTED" in 2010... Back to Square 1

leeho730
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by leeho730 » Friday 14 October 2011, 19:36

@ vizsyn

I've been using TD2 and TD3SW with modified zero-degree cant disks (3mm off from the top) for the last 5 years without any problem.
But I didn't do it myself; I let professional engineer do it for me! I'm a bit heavier than you (68kg), but I don't know about how aggressive you are, I'm not that aggressive in terms of riding.

About springs: before using ACSS (I'm still experimenting with various spring systems), I used Blue/Yellow on front foot and Yellow/Blue on rear foot. Seemed to be ok. I've got a spare yellow and blue springs so I tend to use blue springs for a bit more aggressive carving on hero snow or when I want some more stability at high speed, but if your aim is EC then probably what you've got would be best. I'm in the process of installing ACSS on Head boots... will certainly be interesting!

About TD3SW.... it's currently my number one choice when carving. Really smooths out heelside turn for me. Binding height is a bit of problem when doing EC, so I'm using TD2 2nd board kit with modified cant disk to really lower the overall binding height. Doesn't seem to make much difference in terms of smoothing out heel turn, so I tend to stick to TD2 disks under TD3SW set up. But using TD3 e-ring was fine as well, maybe I'm just being neurotic.
Bomber doesn't make soft (yellow) E-ring for TD2 2nd board kit anymore, so I'm going to experiment with blue e-rings. Will post the result.
Quite heavy as well.

The super low kit fin mentioned seems to be based off TD1 2nd board kit. So no e-rings. For me, TD2 e-rings with modified cant disk seem pretty low.
Swoard 168M&S / Dual 158
TD3SW /F2 / Ibex
Stratos / RC10 / T700

Fin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fin » Tuesday 18 October 2011, 2:18

vizsyn wrote:We all certainly hope that Bomber Industries did in fact get a new batch of HSP boots
Yes, we did. Or rather they are on the way. So that is why you see the update on the Head boots.

leeeho730,

Actually the new lower assembly (dubbed "BP Cants, BP Center Disk, etc") is a totally new assembly. It is actually lower and lighter than even the older TD2 system. It is designed to be used strictly with a plate but in theory it could be used directly onto a board. However, that needs to be determined yet.

Now speaking of, where is the talk of plate systems! I am interested to find out how they might work with Extreme Carving? Right now, it is pretty much an unknown.
Fin

Bomber Industries, Inc
Email: fin@bomberonline.com
129 W. 10th St. Unit A
P.O. Box 1667, Silverthorne, CO, 80498
970/513-7733 Fax: 970/513-7833
www.bomberonline.com

gege31
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by gege31 » Tuesday 18 October 2011, 11:10

Is it a new production batch from Head or from an old stock? The question behind is could we hope to also get some new stock in French shops?
Swoard Gen4 168M n°1102 F2 Race Titanium
Head Stratos pro
Raichle AF600TS

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Tuesday 18 October 2011, 11:30

I think, I don´t get the point. :silly:
Can perhaps someone tell me, where is the difference between a new and an "old" stock?
Is a this years boot better than an one year old boot?
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 18 October 2011, 11:43

Fin wrote:Actually the new lower assembly (dubbed "BP Cants, BP Center Disk, etc") is a totally new assembly.
Fin, link to pictures would be great :bravo:

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Tuesday 18 October 2011, 12:22

joemzl wrote:I think, I don´t get the point. :silly:
Can perhaps someone tell me, where is the difference between a new and an "old" stock?
Is a this years boot better than an one year old boot?
The plastics will obviously be a year older. And if it's NOS it means no more new ones are being made. Also, if it's NOS it's a bit odd you pay more for the 'new' boots than the boots of the previous year. This is the case on BlueTomato, where there was no visible difference between previous year and the year before that for HSP's, while you paid less for the older ones.
Fridgecarver

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Tuesday 18 October 2011, 12:49

Isn´t it crazy, that people try to get nearly 14 year old Northwaves and we think of one year older or not :wall:
And if your size in last years model is not available - where is the choice?
I agree with you, if you have the choice. :wink:
Thanks for explanation.
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Tuesday 18 October 2011, 13:07

The boots have not been changed in any way since at least four years. Usually they change the colour of the plastics at least every other season just for fashion's sake. So I think you might be getting boots that are actually already four years old. Is there any way to identify different batches? I would love to compare my 2010-2011 boots to older and newer boots.
Fridgecarver

gege31
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by gege31 » Tuesday 18 October 2011, 13:42

With new production batch I was asking if Head had re-started the production that was supposed to end last winter.
Swoard Gen4 168M n°1102 F2 Race Titanium
Head Stratos pro
Raichle AF600TS

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Tuesday 18 October 2011, 16:51

no changes in HSP boots since many years. The color changed from orange to black 3 or 4 years ago but the construction (and all the parts) is the same. I made modifications on many pairs and didn't notice any change.
Old stock means a production made some years ago.
New stock means that a new production is on the way ....
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M